Parenting
Options

WWPD?

I am honestly not sure how to handle this situation delicately, and I could use some advice.

I shop at our local WalMart pretty regularly, since we don't have a Target in the area. I am there at least once a week to get groceries or pick up something that was forgotten. Almost every single time I am there, I am hit on by the same employee, a young man in his early 20s.

It is fairly obvious that he is at least slightly mentally handicapped, based on the way he walks and the way he carries himself. At first, I thought he was just being overly friendly, but the comments have turned into remarks about my appearance that make me slightly uncomfortable. They aren't overly sexual in nature, but they have this vibe about them that is off-putting to say the least.

He also makes these comments to my sister when she and I are together. And he remembers us specifically, calling us the "Hot Chocolate Girls" from the one time we asked him where the powered chocolate mix was.

It is unnerving to me, and I do my best to avoid him whenever he is in the store by pretending to be on my phone or just walking on by. But this is not deterring him in making comments at later times around the store.

I do not know what to do about this. I am torn because of his perhaps "childlike" attitude at times due to his handicap, but it is also becoming almost creepy. I need some advice as to how to handle this tactfully and gracefully, because I feel foolish as to what to do.

ETA: Fixed formatting. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Marian Abigail :: born 9-16-2012 via emergency C/S
BFP on 11-14-2014, aiming for a VBAC

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: WWPD?

• Options

Tell him to stop making comments to you.  Tell him that commenting on your appearance is making you uncomfortable. Just be straightforward with him.  No need to be mean or anything, just cut to the chase & then leave it at that.   <b

• Options
    imageauntie:
    Your post makes me really, really sad. Stores get tax credits for employing people with disabilities under certain circumst
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesofamonkey:

Tell him to stop making comments to you.  Tell him that commenting on your appearance is making you uncomfort

• Options

Auntie and Nita said all I was thinking, in a much better way than I could.  This man may be acting inappropriately, but as you said, probably doesn't realize that.  He's not a bad or "creepy" person, but he's not understanding your social cu

• Options
    imageCaptainSerious:

Auntie and Nita said all I was thinking, in a much better way than I could.  This man may be acting inapp

• Options

It's true, you never called him a "creepy" person, but that's not a far jump from what you did say.  You called his behavior unnerving and creepy.  Why?  Because he was flirting with you and you didn't appreciate his advances?  No.

• Options
    imageCaptainSerious:

It's true, you never called him a "creepy" person, but that's not a far jump from what you did say.  You

• Options

Not to beat a dead horse, so this will be my last post on this subject, but based on your post, the behavior you would find creepy from anyone isn't them making an advance towards you, but not stopping after you made it known, using typical yet subtle

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"