February 2013 Moms

Dirty looks/assumptions

I was 13 when my sister Anna was born. There are 4 other children between us (though one passed away). Occasionally though, my mom would take just Anna and I out. 9 times out of 10 people assumed that she was my daughter. (I wrote about that experience here: http://offbeatfamilies.com/2011/09/big-family-helps-with-motherhood/comment-page-2 )

Even now, at 24, people give me this look like they are sorry for me if I go out without my husband. I look younger than I am (which I'm sure I'll be thankful for some day). I always get this look that says "oh... teen mom. How sad."

I went to the mall with my sisters this weekend and I needed to try on some clothes. I had my sister Anna (who is 11 now) and my sister Mary  (13) with me. Mary was wearing DD while I pushed DS in the stroller. THE LOOKS PEOPLE WERE GIVING MARY!!! Holy crap. I felt sorry for her because I remember getting them. Then you would see them look at me as if I was her mother and it was somehow my fault because teen mom begets teen mom... 

*sigh* if only they knew.... 

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow.'"
~Mary Anne Radmacher

Feb 2013 August Sig Challenge: Man/Lady Crush: 

Zachary Levi

Re: Dirty looks/assumptions

• That stinks! Isn't it terrible that we live in a society where the first thought is always teen mom rather than babysitter or even a mother's helper? I was both as a young teen and I don't remember getting looks but I might have just been oblivious, too.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

• I hate when people are so judgemental.My dad and I go out together a lot. You can feel people judging us, like I am a homewrecker and stole him from his age appropriate wife. He finds it amusing and never corrects people when they assume that he is the
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • khazekhaze
    Third Anniversary 100 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper
    Bah I have the opposite problem. I look really young too and was out with my mom and DS for lunch and people thought she was DS's mother.

photo familyphoto.jpg
    Declan John
    Born 2/21/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image lipglossandblack:
    Bah I have the opposite problem. I look really young too and was out with my mom and DS for lunch and people
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • I also look a lot younger than I am. I'm 24 and could easily pass for a high school student. Last year I was buying maternity clothes around the start of school with my mom. The elderly lady at the desk asked what grade I was going into, or if I was out o
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14- Team Blue! 

• First of all I wish I looked young enough to pass as a teenager!  I stopped getting the "you look so young" comments the day I turned 30.  Second--when I thought I was pregnant with DD I went to CVS to buy a test.  I didn't have my rings on
  • image marionravenwood:
    First of all I wish I looked young enough to pass as a teenager!  I stopped getting the "you look so you
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • As I am 20, only halfway through college, and had a very unplanned pregnancy, I can't stand dirty looks. I knew when I made the decision to DTD with my fiance, even with protection, that getting pregnant was a consequence. I feel that we provide for our d
  • image eaogle:
    As I am 20, only halfway through college, and had a very unplanned pregnancy, I can't stand dirty looks. I knew when I
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image eaogle:
    As I am 20, only halfway through college, and had a very unplanned pregnancy, I can't stand dirty looks. I knew when I
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image eaogle:
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)