Breastfeeding

Relactation

Just wondering if anyone has tried relactation, we started supplementing with formula in the hospital because I wasn't producing enough and then when we got home everything was crazy and I didn't have the time to commit and really try to BF, now I'm sad and regretting that I didn't put in more of an effort to exclusively BF. I've done a lot of research and I know that it's not impossible, and that its going to be tough but I've got the time now and I really want to try. I'm still able to express some milk, and I've talked to my doctor and stopped my birth control (I was on the nuva ring.) and now because I've stopped my birth control my endometriosis has really flared up and I'm having a lot of pain, so I'm praying for success. Has anyone else attempted this or have any advice?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Relactation

• I am nursing my son maybe 2 times a day right now, and I don't have much milk, so I'm sort of in your position.

I have taken fenugreek (it's an herb), and it helps a lot with my production. I don't take it everyday

BFP: February 12 2012
    Joseph Scott born October 8
    7lb 12oz 20.5"
    TTC #2 Since February 2013

• Awesome, thank you for the advice, I just started taking Fenugreek today and I too have low blood sugar and low blood pressure, so that should be fun lol. I had to order new tubing for my pump so as soon as that comes in I'm going to start trying to pump,
  • Oatmeal, blessed milk thistle, increased water intake, co sleeping with no shirt, skin to skin, it will all help! It's possible I started re nursing my 6 month old premiee by doing all this:
  • AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer

rent a hospital grade pump.  anything else may not be powerful enough.

up your water intake by at least 25 oz a day, as baby will need approx 25 oz of breastmilk a day.

up your calorie intake, 25 oz of breastmilk = approx 600 calor

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• That's great! That gives me a lot of hope! Thank you!
  • I have a good medela pump so hopefully that'll do the trick, thank you so much for the advice, I never realized that skin to skin would help that much, looks like I'm gonna be keeping the blinds closed for awhile. lol