C-sections

Visitors on day of c-section

I haven't posted on this board before, although I do lurk quite a bit.  I have a c-section scheduled in a couple of weeks.  Both my family and DH's family are out of town (my family is 2 hours away, his family is on the other side of the country).  Assuming that I make it to my scheduled date, how did you all feel about having visitors that same day as your section?  Is it totally do-able or overwhelming?  Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated.  TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BFP #1: 1/10/12; EDD: 9/20/12, born too early on 5/7/12 (20w4d) due to IC/PTL/chorioamnionitis.
BFP #2: 8/30/12; EDD: 5/9/13, emergency cerclage placed at 22w5d, dx cardiomyopathy, strict bed rest for 14 weeks. DD born at 39 weeks.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
All ALs always welcome

Re: Visitors on day of c-section

• I had an unscheduled (but not emergency where they were running me to the OR) c section and I would say the earliest I would've wanted visitors is at least 24 hours later. We honestly didn't want an visitors in the hospital, and I'm glad we didn't have any because I was upset about my section. Everyone is different though, and I know plenty of people who have had visitors the day of the cs too. If you plan on bfing keep in mind that the first couple weeks especially are really awkward and difficult so you might only want certain people there.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Everyone is different, my last c-section was a semi-emergency and I was put under.  I was also breastfeeding.  I had visitors that afternoon.  But it was also not my first time at the rodeo, so I was a little more who cares, go with the flow, than I was with my first.
  • This was my third. It was at 9am. Our sons came at 12:30 to meet their sister. We welcomed our parents and siblings after 5pm. Other family and friends were asked to come on the next two days. Don't feel obligated to let people visit.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My first c-section was scheduled and it was at 5 pm... both of our whole families were waiting outside during and where there as soon as I was out of recovery.  I didn't really  mind, the only think I wish I'd have done is had them come a little later because it was kind of intense having them there RIGHT afterward.  They were polite and only stayed like a half hour but since it was evening it was either right away or next day. 

This time my c-section is scheduled for early morning and I've already told everybody we'll let them know when we're ready for visitors, but yes I plan on having people come early that evening.  I didn't think it was a big deal and in our case everybody was very respectful of not just "hanging" around.  I also made sure everybody is aware they can come whenever they want but if I'm BFing they're going to have to wait to hold baby and they might get an eyeful :) 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nola- you are so close! I can hardly believe you have made it so far!!! I'm so excited for you! Big Smile

My c-section was at 2:30pm. Both DH's and my family came to visit around 6pm. It was totally fine with me. Neither set stayed for too long and they all knew they needed to leave when I was checked and/or breastfeeding. Smile

Started TTC 7/10

BFP#1 9.23.10-Missed MC discovered 10.25.10 at 8w1d - D&C 10.26.10

BFP#2 6.8.11- c/p- 6.11.2011

After two long years, two m/c, and IF- BFP#3 (via IVF/PGD)- 8.4.12- DS Born 3.22.13

BFP#4 12.18.13 - saw HB 1.10.12 EDD 8.30.14

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had two C-sections.  One was emergency and the second one was scheduled.

The first one was at 2am so people didn't show up until around 9am. My parents were there at the hospital the entire time waiting in the waiting room for me so they came to see me for a few minutes after to tell me they would see me tomorrow.   I felt ok with that. 

The second one was scheduled for 9am and my son was born at 9:45am and people came around noon that day.

My husband just called people after he was born when we were ready to have people visit.  I think that is the way to go.  Just call them and tell them about the baby and they will all start trickling in to visit you all. 

Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a nonscheduled csection at 2 am, didn't get out of recovery 'til noon due to complications. My MIL, FIL, dad all came to visit that afternoon, and I was fine with it. However, they are all extremely respectful of boundaries and nonintrusive people. The only stayed for a short visit, so I quite enjoyed seeing them all. I think your experience may greatly depend on the personalities of the people who you expect to visit!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • If I have a RCS then Id feel more in control of who comes when. I had an unplanned CS after being in labor for 10 hours. I started at 415am after going to bed at 12. Son was born at 330pm and the one recovery room for 3 hours. Visitors came and I was exhausted. They didnt stay long but honestly I didnt care if I slept while they were there. I was up for so long and labored for 10 hours. Id probably be fine with people coming the same day as long as things went okay with a RCS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had an emergency c/s sometime after midnight, and had a visitor around 5 PM that afternoon. I was still very emotional and thus a bit overwhelmed. The annoying things they hook your legs up to to keep circulation going were still on, and I was incredibly groggy/out of it from the pain meds - oh, and I was more bloated and swollen than I've ever been from the IV. So, it depends on how comfortable you are with them seeing you in such a state. Of course, it depends on which meds they're giving you, as well. 

I am sorry to sound negative, but I'd wait a good 24 hours before accepting visitors that weren't immediate family. But that's just me :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think if I had a scheduled one, I would have been fine with visitors.

I dealt with 27 hours of stalled labor, no sleep in that time, and a C-Section, so I was NOT havin' it at that point :)) 

• It was way too much for me. I'm trying for VBAC next time and may end up with a RCS if things don't go well. Either way...I'm limiting the visitor thing...ALOT! Especially if it is another c section recovery!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

• image Runaway22:
    I had an emergency c/s sometime after midnight, and had a visitor around 5 PM that afternoon. I was still very emotional and thus a bit overwhelmed. The annoying things they hook your legs up to to keep circulation going were still on, and I was incredibly groggy/out of it from the pain meds oh, and I was more bloated and swollen than I've ever been from the IV. So, it depends on how comfortable you are with them seeing you in such a state. Of course, it depends on which meds they're giving you, as well.nbsp;I am sorry to sound negative, but I'd wait a good 24 hours before accepting visitors that weren't immediate family. But that's just me :nbsp;

Yea, I second this!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

• I had an unplanned section, where I found out about 10 minutes before surgery that it would be happening. That may make it different, but we had about 10 people in the room about an hour after the surgery, and I was completely overwhelmed and didn't even get to hold my own kid except for about 5 very groggy minutes before they took him away to the nursery.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was planned.  My section was scheduled for 11am - started a little late - DD born around 12pm, in recovery shortly after and in my own room around 130pm I believe?  I had visitors at 3pm and there after... I was fine with that.  The only visitors were our parents, siblings and 2 of my close friends.  Good luck!
  • I have had three.  On my last one, it was scheduled and I was feeling great afterwards.  However, around 6 at night, I started to get really overwhelmed with all the visitors and was really tired.    Next time, I would keep visitors to a minimum and have a code word of sorts with DH who can kick people out when I need them to leave. 

• It would depend on the time of day for me.

My unplanned CS was at 5:30 am. My parents had been there all night, so I let them come in the recovery room for a little while before they went home to rest. If they hadn't been so stubborn and gone home at midnight when I told them to, I think the first few hours would have been much more special with just me, DH, and DS. It would have been nice to have that time to ourselves, but I knew they wouldn't leave until they saw DS. By the time they came back later in the day I felt okay.

If I had known all of that would happen, I would have asked them not to be there until at least noon, maybe later. Whether I have a VBCAC or RCS, I will definitely ask visitors to wait until the next day, though allow my parents to bring DS for a little while the day of. It will be after we have had a couple of hours alone, and I've had time to rest.

• image vinceandang:

Nola- you are so close! I can hardly believe you have made it so far!!! I'm so excited for you! Big Smile

My c-section was at 2:30pm. Both DH's and my family came to visit around 6pm. It was totally fine with me. Neither set stayed for too long and they all knew they needed to leave when I was checked and/or breastfeeding. Smile

Thanks!  I can't believe that I'll be full term on Thursday.  Never thought I'd see that day after all those weeks of bed rest.  I feel pretty lucky right about now. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 1/10/12; EDD: 9/20/12, born too early on 5/7/12 (20w4d) due to IC/PTL/chorioamnionitis.
    BFP #2: 8/30/12; EDD: 5/9/13, emergency cerclage placed at 22w5d, dx cardiomyopathy, strict bed rest for 14 weeks. DD born at 39 weeks.

All ALs always welcome
  • Thanks everyone!  This was really helpful.  As of now, I'm scheduled for the first thing in the morning (7:30 am).  It sounds like later afternoon / early evening visitors would be okay, especially if I keep it to very close family.  

All ALs always welcome
  • It might be different since yours is scheduled but I ended up having an emergency C-section and had to be put under.  While I definitely would not want guests soon after my husband was left standing alone in the hall.  He was not happy with it...as it all happened quickly and they had gotten him prepped to be in the room with me but when the drugs didn't work they ended up having to put me under so he was basically brought in the room to say 'goodbye' and was kicked out.

He ended up calling my mom (21 hours away who had no clue what was going on) at 5am so he wasn't alone. 

Point being...your husband might appreciate some company while he waits if he's not allowed in the room.

By the way...if you have to be put under they might take pictures for you.  My husband gave a nurse our camera and they took pictures of the baby coming out and of her being cleaned up and weighed etc.  It was really nice to see those later since I missed everything!

• Our parents were all there, but it was fine. I just kind of zoned out and ignored everybody. :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Why can't I fix my sig?? 
  • I wanted nobody there the whole time I was in the hospital but after an emergency cs I was ready for visitors the next day. I think because I felt a little stuck in bed I had a hard time with the procedure. It was nice to have visitors for support. My decision surprised me. It's such a personal choice.

• image nola78:
    I haven't posted on this board before, although I do lurk quite a bit.  I have a c-section scheduled in a couple of weeks.  Both my family and DH's family are out of town (my family is 2 hours away, his family is on the other side of the country).  Assuming that I make it to my scheduled date, how did you all feel about having visitors that same day as your section?  Is it totally do-able or overwhelming?  Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated.  TIA!

We had visitors the day of (friends) and I was a little self conscious about having a bag of pee on the floor next to the bed.  They didn't care but I did.  Otherwise it wasn't a big deal.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CnAnACnAnA
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its

I had people visit the same day.  I loved having family and close friends there to celebrate Alice with us!  I had a morphine button to start with, and once that was removed, they kept me hopped up on all kinds of pain meds.  The only times I needed people to wait outside was when I was trying to feed her, and when they ushered me into the bathroom to take out the catheter and such. 

ETA:  I did specify with everyone who was remotely connected to the hospital as a medical professional (and my family) that the family waiting in my room was NOT to get to hold Alice before I did.  They absolutely honored that request.  So that is something to think about.  If you're in recovery, and the baby gets done in the nursery, they may go ahead and get your DH and baby situated in your room.  In that case, if people are in there waiting, they may get to LO before you do. LOL 

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • I had an emergency csection at 2:30 am running to the OR and all. We had our visitors that afternoon. I would have been fine if they decided to come earlier but my parents had a 5 hr drive. By the time they came I was on magnesium sulfate and pretty out of it but I was happy they came and dh was able to run home for a little while and bring them to the NICU to see dd.
  • aandgaandg
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments

My daughter was born around 6:30 on Sunday night and I was totally out of it through the next day. I don't know if it was the pain meds or what, but I could barely keep my eyes open. We had visitors, but I didn't really talk to them. If I had it to do over, I would have definitly waited til Tuesday to have people visit.

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My unscheduled with my first was at 4:16pm (that's when he was born). People came for about an hour that night (because visiting hours are over at 8 & wasn't in my PP room until after 6). I didn't care & was really out of it because of the drugs anyway. They weren't there to see me!

My RCS was scheduled for first thing in the am, my son was born at 9:11. People started visiting after 4pm & that wasn't a big deal to me. Again not completely there and very tired, but it was all fine.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• It was fine. They were all taking pictures of Lucas while I was being tended to by the nurses. Once it was time for me to feed him, MH's family left for the evening.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • DS was born during a blizzard, so we didn't have visitors for two days.  It was great!  With DD I had visitors the next day, a little over 24 hours after my surgery, and it was fine.  I really like having that first day with just my husband and the baby.
  • My unplanned c/s was at noon, and I had family visit that night which was fine with me, but I can't say I really remember it.  There were pics on my phone of my parents and little sister holding DS that I had no memory of taking. lol
  • I had an emergency c-section at 5:30 PM.  I was out of recovery by around 7 and had visitors.  I was exhausted from being in labor all day and I just did not want to see anybody let alone chit chat with them.  If I had a scheduled c-section in the morning I might have felt a little better about having visitors at night.  I wouldn't have any right after the prodecure.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker