April 2013 Moms

Driving after delivery?

What's the procedure for driving after delivery? Not home from the hospital but just as there are lifting, carrying and straining limitations... Are there driving limitations?

Re: Driving after delivery?

• I was advised by my OB not to drive for six weeks because the muscles used to drive can strain your perineum & I tore.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• At discharge the nurse told me 2 weeks but she said that was really only if I was taking the pain meds. Since I didn't tear or have any issues and my recovery was super easy, I wasn't taking anything. So she said it really didn't matter and I could drive
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told a week, but since that isn't feasible for us I followed up. I didn't tear. The strongest med I'm on is Motrin.  I was told to give it 48 hours from release (96hours from delivery) anyway because my body went through so much and needs to

If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.-Douglas Adams
  • With my first 2 the discharge paperwork said no driving for 2 weeks.  I followed his because if I got in an accident and it was discovered I'd had driving restrictions I could be in a lot of trouble.  I felt perfectly fine though and really d

Mommy to L (6), J (4) and S (March 2013)

• My OB said I was right to drive on discharge. No restrictions last time either.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • I had 2 vaginal deliveries and neither time did I tear or anything. I never asked and was never told about restrictions. At the time of DD1's birth DH's license was actually suspended so I drove home. I also drove to the beach 4 days post pardem. With #2
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I delivered vaginally with 2nd degree tear and was told no driving for 2 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• With my c I couldn't have driven for at least a month. I couldn't react with out fear if hurt myself.
  • I was told 2 weeks, but my nurse said since I didn't tear and am not taking anything for pain that I can sooner as long as I feel ok and rested.  I probably won't need to until after my h goes back to work anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I drove 2 weeks after my csection. I wasn't taking pain medications at that point, and I needed to drive DD2 to preschool. I feel like I'm completely recovered at this point.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • This is my first experience but several people I know have reported two weeks. I didn't ask their delivery type or any other details but two weeks seems to be the norm in my area. I'm going to line someone up to drive us to the 1 week appointment and make
  • I had stitches everywhere (4th degree tears), so I wasn't able to sit completely upright at first.  It felt like I was pulling one side to the other.  It took at least a couple weeks before I could comfortably sit upright enough to drive myself.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've heard that if you drive earlier than what is recommended your car insurance will not cover you if you're in an accident. I would maybe check with your insurance company or maybe it's just the restrictions the dr puts you on?
  • image katief27:
    At discharge the nurse told me 2 weeks but she said that was really only if I was taking the pain meds. Since I didn
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a c/s and was told two weeks. 

• My doctor never said anything about not driving. I had 2 vaginal deliveries.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was only on restrictions if I was on the pain meds.  I had a first degree tear and didn't take any medication for it so I was good to go.  That being said, I still didn't do much driving for a couple weeks, just because I didn't want LO out an

***PAL April Siggy Challenge - Words to live by***

BFP #1 2/1/12, mmc 3/1/12 @ 8 weeks, D&C 3/2/12 
    LAP/Hysteroscopy 4/26/12 removed uterine septum and stage 1 endo BFP #2 7/23/12, induced at 37w1d for IUGR on 3/17/13, St. Patrick's Day!

"A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company" - Oscar Wilde 

• I drove home from the hospital and have driven a few times since then. As long as I got myself in a semi comfortable position it was fine (I had a 2nd degree tear as well). I was told to try not to lift my toddler for awhile while my body healed though.&n
    Pregnancy Ticker