Preemies

Made the call

I just made the call to Help Me Grow (EI in our state.)

The process is to just get our name in & then someone should be calling in 7-10 days to schedule an appointment. At this point, I just want him evaluated. Part of me wants to give him time but the other part of me would feel so bad if we could have intervened earlier, maybe he would have picked up on stuff sooner. So I just did it. He's approaching 20 months at the end of this month & doesn't have any words. He talks gibberish pretty much so I'm curious as to what they'll say.  

I have to admit though (& I want to write it in a small font)..

what's in the back of my head is would he even have this issue if he was FT but I know I can't go there so I'm just staying positive.   

"They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true..
for in my heart you were right on time." 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                                   OAD August Siggy Challenge: 
                       Favorite TV show no longer on the air: Felicity 

Re: Made the call

• We're at about the same point as you.  At their 18 mo appointment our pedi referred us to ECI through our state based on mainly language concerns.  Apparently at 18 mo they stop adjusting age so they both qualified for not only ST, but also OT a
  • image Mrs. Alice:
    We're at about the same point as you.  At their 18 mo appointment our pedi referred us to ECI through our sta
    "They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true..
  • We were in a similar boat as you, but the only difference was we already had her in ST for a few months at that point.  She barely had any words, and then all of a sudden she had a massive language explosion, so I felt better knowing that what we

O&D August Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV Shows No Longer On Air

2 Bostons, 1 Preemie, & 65 Roses

• I know every child is different but I want to tell you the expierence of my friends and their son which I hope will make you feel a little better.  Their Pedi referred them to EI because her son wasn't saying anying more than gibberish.&

OAD August Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV show no longer on the air: Friends Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image image
  • We were in a similar boat, I think my son had 2-3 words at 18 months when he started receiving speech therapy.  By two he had over 100 words and now at 2.5 he talks a ton. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • At DS's 18 mo. appt., his pedi suggested speech therapy.  He had literally just gotten out of his spica cast, which had impeded his gross motor completely for 3 months and had spent the previous 3 months attempting to learn to walk.  Now, 3 mont
    Preemie Resources: http://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/

DD1: BFP July 2010...HG in first tri, MC delivered vaginally at 18 weeks October 2010

DS: BFP December 2011...SCH at 5 weeks, SBR at 7 weeks, Placental Abruption at 13 weeks, Hospitalized at 25 weeks, pPROM at 28 weeks, PTL via CS at 31 weeks 

DD2: BFP January 2013...P17 shots, delivered via VBAC at 39 weeks
  • Thanks everyone! It's great to hear similar feedback. 

I honestly think he's going to be fine. He's been a late bloomer with just about everything so I'm more curious as to what they think on a professional leve

• As an SLP, I see plenty of kids that were born full-term with speech and language delays. Yes, prematurity is a risk factor for communication delays (along with other developmental delays, of course), but who knows...it could have been an issue for him an
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DrRxDrRx
    Ninth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper

Since my daughter was born so premature and at such a low birth weight that she automatically qualified for the state's EI program.  At first the therapist just came once a month, but since she was about 4 or 5 months old she has started coming ev

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • ashk7ashk7
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    My best friends daughter is 20 months and was born a week after her due date and just started talking! She was the same way would talk lots of gibberish and understood all commands. Evan now she uses her words when she wants. Just thought that may help wi
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thanks guys! 

I'm surprised I got a phone call so fast. Monday evening someone is coming over to "screen" him & do an introductory type thing. If she thinks there's concern, then we'll move on to an actual evaluation.

I guess we'll

• image ashk7:
    My best friends daughter is 20 months and was born a week after her due date and just started talking! She was the same
  • Our DS has been going to EI since he was 11 months old. At first it was both speech and PT. I have constantly asked myself if things would be different after a frustrating day, but I am trying very hard to not ask myself those questions. He will be 20