Stay at Home Moms

Did your baby stay in your hospital room overnight?

I see this topic discussed a lot. 

I am pretty sure I'm the only one of my friends that had her first baby stay in the nursery. They brought her in for feedings (I nursed for a whopping 8 days). I nursed, changed her diaper, swaddled and they took her back. This was at night only. She was in my room all day, of course. It wasnt' until nighttime that she slept in the nursery for a few hours at a time. The twins were in the NICU, so they obviously were not in my room. One of my friends judged, and said something like "you waited so long to have her, why would you send her away"? Regardless, I don't regret it. I went home tired, but not exhausted. I stayed with my SIL when she had her son (she was scared to stay  alone in the hospital and her husband didn't stay). We were up from 10-4:30 AM trying to get her son to eat. I remember driving home and telling my husband I wasn't ready yet. LOL. 

Mom to Big Sister (2008) , and boy/girl twins (2010) Life is busy!

Re: Did your baby stay in your hospital room overnight?

• alakealake
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Love Its

Summer (7) and Eryn (7 months) both roomed in with me.  I was in overnight with both.

Leah was an emergency c-section.  She had to spend 24 hours in a special care nursery, but after that she was in my room with me for the following thr

• Are you talking about overnight or did you have your baby stay in the nursery all day? If it's the later, I do find that a bit odd.

My hospital didn't have a nursery, but the nurses would take your baby to the nurses' station overnight if you wan

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh! Overnight! let me edit...
  • All of mine stayed with me. The older two were born at the same hospital and I was given the choice. The youngest was born at a different hospital and they only take the baby out "if needed" and really push for the moms to keep the baby in the room.
  • DS was in my room the entire time (they even did his bath in the room).  
    SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11
  • BTW...Mainely, love your siggy pic! Springtime fun!
  • DD went to the nursery after the first night, because I was exhausted, in pain from my c/s and the nurses begged me to let her go. We were there for 4 nights total and I felt much more rested at the end.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Both my kiddos went to the nursery at night. I think final call to send them was 10pm and then they brought them back at 6am.

• Yes because I didn't have any other options. Honestly, if there had been a nursery I would have sent him for a few hours between feedings.

We had terrible, terrible latch issues and DS pretty much cried nonstop on our 2nd night. Finally, DH calle

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • M was a cs and roomed in with us.
  • I have a story about this. 

I had my first son in the room with me the entire time except when he left to be circumcised and when the pedi rounded on all the babies.  My mom thought that I was nuts and asked why I didn't have the nur

• DD roomed in with us. They really encourage it and said that they reserve the nursery for c-section Moms that need extra help.
    DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • DS was in the NICU, so he stayed in a hospital room, just not mine.  IDK what I'll do with this one; I hadn't thought about it.  It would never occur to me to ask someone else or judge them for their decision...
    Preemie Resources: http://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/

DD1: BFP July 2010...HG in first tri, MC delivered vaginally at 18 weeks October 2010

DS: BFP December 2011...SCH at 5 weeks, SBR at 7 weeks, Placental Abruption at 13 weeks, Hospitalized at 25 weeks, pPROM at 28 weeks, PTL via CS at 31 weeks 

DD2: BFP January 2013...P17 shots, delivered via VBAC at 39 weeks
  • I send dd to the nursery overnight.  I had a c/s, and I didn't have dh stay overnight (because I had learned from ds's birth that dh would be absolutely worthless if he was totally exhausted from being up all night). 

Honestly, I didn'

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS stayed with me but we had to stay for five days because he was jaundiced. He was under the lights in a bassinet in my room. There was another bed in the room so my mom stayed with me so she was a great help. DH went home at night and kept bringing food
  • Both stayed with me. Honestly, I've always thought sending them to the nursery was odd at best. I am still mad about how long they kept her after her bath, so much so that if I end up in the hospital with a third I will refuse the bath if they can't do it

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014
  • Yes, all 3 roomed in and I preferred it that way. Around here the hospitals really encourage rooming in and nobody offered or suggested they take the baby to the nursery. I know that they'll take the baby if I ask, but I prefer having the baby right th

Owen (March 2007), Caleb (July 2009), Eliza (July 2011) and August (September 2013)

• I sent him to the nursery and didn't feel one bit bad. I was in labor for a long time and I was tired! It gave me pease of mine knowing he was being watched at the nursery.
    He was with me all day and I think I only sent him the 1st night and the. Ha
  • Julia stayed in my room the whole time. DH was there the whole time to so he was able to bring her to me in bed since getting in and out of bed was painful. I ended up sending Emma to the nursery briefly because I was tired, she was crying and I was worri
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Neither of the hospitals I gave birth at had a nursery. DS1 was put in the NICU for his first 48 hours, and then was in the pediatric wing (I was still hospitalized in the women's hospital bc I had a c/s and an infection). So we were separated under stres
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• hkg80hkg80
    Second Anniversary
    I'm normally a lurker, but wanted to chime in....  I had a normal, fairly easy birth, but based on others' experiences I sent my DD to the nursery for the night after she was born so I could get some rest.  During the night, she stopped breathin
  • Girls roomed in with us x3.  I even walked my butt to the nursery to get DD3 when they took too long to come.  I thought I was going to pass out walking so far.

• image hkg80:
    I'm normally a lurker, but wanted to chime in....  I had a normal, fairly easy birth, but based on others' experience
    Preemie Resources: http://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/

DD1: BFP July 2010...HG in first tri, MC delivered vaginally at 18 weeks October 2010

DS: BFP December 2011...SCH at 5 weeks, SBR at 7 weeks, Placental Abruption at 13 weeks, Hospitalized at 25 weeks, pPROM at 28 weeks, PTL via CS at 31 weeks 

DD2: BFP January 2013...P17 shots, delivered via VBAC at 39 weeks
  • Rooming in is encouraged strongly at the hospital I delivered at. I did not leave A at all, except for when I showered a few hours after delivery, and J took her to get her heel prick, so about fifteen minutes total.

She had to get an echocardiog

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • We did a little bit of both. We live in a small area and the hospital I delivered at didn't have a nursery. However, the nurses would offer to hold the babies for your and care for them. The nurse I had was only a few years older than me and I knew her fr

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS roomed in. I don't think I would have gotten any more sleep had he been in the nursery. The nurses came in to wake me and DS to nurse every 3 hours and DS slept the rest of the time. It really wasn't bad.

The nurses said the nursery was pr
  • A lot of the first night Elliot was in and out of the NICU having tests done just in case because he was a late term preemie. But for the little sleep we DID get, he was in the room. I couldn't go to sleep when he was gone for tests. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

[url]www.Onabreath.com[/url]

[url]www.Elliot365.wordpress.com[/url]
  • DD roomed in, DS went to the nursery, lol. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • With my oldest he spent first night in nursery second in my room

My youngest was a c/s so they wouldn't let me keep him overnight without dh and since dh went home to ds1 at night they kept him in nursery all nights. 5 I believe?
    CJ :-)
  • Yes, she stayed with me.  I didn't go home tired b/c of her, I was tired b/c every single hospital employee kept coming into my room & I couldn't get any sleep.  I pretty much held DD the whole time too.