Adoption
Options

Intro

Hi everyone!

I just thought I would re-introduce myself since I am hoping to become a more active poster here. I was here a little last year, but we put adoption on hold for a while when we decided to move across the country (and back to my hometown). Now that we've gotten new jobs and bought a house, we are talking about adoption again. DH is 34 and I'm 33... we TTCed for a long time (since 2010), and were miserable failures at it-- we drew the line at IVF b/c I just didn't want to put all of those meds in my body, especially since Clomid and injectibles did nothing to stimulate my ovaries. I am finally feeling at peace with the fact that I won't ever be pregnant. I struggled with that for a long time.

Exciting news: we met with a social worker last night, and are signing up to foster to adopt-- we're working with a local non-profit rather than DSS because the non-profit seems to have a much more extensive parenting training, and support network once the child is placed. They were also very responsive when I was emailing all of the local agencies, and I am taking that as a good sign.

We are open to placements of any sex, race, and up to age six. We think we're open to small sibling groups as well. It is all so overwhelming and exciting. I am ready to jump right in, and I think my husband is more wary right now... he's excited to adopt, but scared that we won't know what to do with a toddler or young child with behavioral issues. I'm scared about that too and am hoping that the training will help us to feel more confident.

I've read Adoption for Dummies, and Instant Mom, and just downloaded a couple of parenting books to my Kindle. Unfortunately, it has been hard to find lots of good information about foster to adopt, so if anyone has additional resources to send my way, I would be happy to check them out. Sorry this is so long, and I look forward to getting to know you all. 

Re: Intro

• Options

Welcome to the board!! I am sorry for the fertility struggles you went through.

Congrats on your decision to foster to adopt.  Any idea what ages your ar interested in? I would check out the FAQ at th top of the page.

In terms of r

Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • Options
    Thanks! We are thinking 6 for max age... We'd love to have an even younger child but the agency that we're working with typically doesn't get the toddler and baby referrals. The social worker that we met with told us that if we wanted a baby or toddler, i
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi, and welcome.  I adopted to "older" boys from Peru.  M was 7 (biologically most likely 9) when we adopted him in 2010 and J was 5 at the time of his adoption last March.

The thing you h

• Options
    Welcome!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
  • Options
    imageCaptainSerious:

Hi, and welcome.  I adopted to "older" boys from Peru.  M was 7 (biologically most likely 9) when we

• Options

The biggest thing you can do to prepare yourselves is to accept that it may get dicey at times, and to commit that no matter what, you will be the strong port in the storm for these kids and see everyone through to the other side.  You <i s

• Options
    Welcome :) Hope the process goes smoothly and you are matched very soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"