My DD is almost 11 months old and the shape of her head has been bothering me since she was 4 months old, since it was so flat on the back. When she slept, it was flat on her head, I tried to move her head, but it always went back to her back. At every pedi appointment, the dr told me not worry and that in time it would get better. From 4 months to now, it has gotten better, but I still notice the flatness in the back of her head and the skull protrudes a little near the top of her ears, so I don't know if it's a great improvement.
For some peace of mind, I went to a cranial and facial specialist today and I was hoping that she would either tell me that her head is fine or she definately needs a helmet. Well the specialist told me that she is a candidate for a helmet and on a scale of 1-10 she is a 5/6, which means it can go either way. The specialist said that if we do decide to helmet we should do it soon since she is getting older and if we decide not to helmet that her head still will continue to shape until she is 2.
I think I would be fine with not helmeting and waiting to see if it gets better, but I am worried that if her head doesn't get better and with the skull protuding out near her ears, it will be an issue with getting glasses if she ever needs them. The specialist even mentioned that. I did ask the specialist if she would helmet if this was her child and she thought about it and said probably not, which really didn't make me feel better since it wasn't a definite no. Is anyone is a similar situaiton?