Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Could this be reflux? - Long

Hey ladies! I have apt to get DS (who is 4 1/2 weeks old) checked out on Thursday but I wanted to see if any of you gals who are familiar with reflux in babies had to say. Also, I EP so he gets only BM from a bottle.

DS hates to sleep on his back and I have noticed that the couple times I have managed to get him to stay asleep while on his back for about 15 mins he has spit up a tiny bit, choked, and I have had to sit him up to help him breath again. I keep him at an incline and this doesn't help, he still will not sleep on his back. I have also tried sleeping with him in the bed with my arm under his head to keep him at a good incline and he will sleep, but very restlessly, usually making lots of noise and wiggling the whole time.  So I have been stuck with him on my chest all night with me at a steep incline and he sleeps great. He sleeps for a hours at a time during the day in his vibrating bouncy seat but I think its the vibration that he likes, not so much the incline since he won't sleep in it unless its on. 

He also fusses/cries about 80% of time after he burps, but only for a few moments. It just seems like hes uncomfortable and its unpleasant for him, but not a painful cry. 

He is an extremely consolable baby and is content and happy the majority of the time. There hasn't been a time yet that I haven't been able to get him to stop crying/fussing (even during his witching hour in the evening, there is always something that I have found that helps calm him down. It might not last for a long time, but then I find something else and he is good again and it only lasts a couple hours at most just a few nights a week) He goes to sleep easy when hes in my arms at a steep incline or on my chest.  And he is only restless when hes on his side or back.

He has not vomited once and he only has spit up during the few times I tried to put him to bed on his back. He arches his back sometimes, but  once he gets the gas up and out he stops. 

However, he "snacks" a lot. Sometimes he will eat 3 ounces in a sitting, but often he drinks 2 ounces, then snacks on another 1-2 ounces over the next hour or two until he goes back to sleep. He drinks, pops off either because he gags or he lets out a little cry, then scrambles back onto the bottle as if he was starving, takes a couple swallows, pops off, cries, then does it again. 

I burp him OFTEN (sometimes he just randomly burps even if its been an hour since he ate), his poop is totally normal (yellow seedy) so I don't think its a dairy intolerance (DD had that). So basically its the fact he cries a bit after he burps, hates to sleep on his back and spits up in his sleep which makes him gag and choke (I can change him though and he is perfectly fine on his back),he gets hiccups ALL THE TIME, usually if I lay him on his back less than 30 mins after he eats, he "snacks" often, and he arches his back once in a while that makes me wonder if he has a little reflux going on? 

I know theres not much, if anything, a dr can do since hes not in pain and hes not bad off at all. Its mainly the sleeping on the back and choking on spit up that has me concerned since I know babies are suppose to sleep on their back to reduce the risk of SIDS. But if he chokes on his own spit up every time we try this, whats the alternative? Do you ladies think this sounds like reflux?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Could this be reflux? - Long

• I'm sorry to hear that your DS is experiencing this.  This does sound like reflux.  My DS has it pretty bad.  If the doctor does diagnose your DS with reflux, he will be on a prescription antacid (Zantac, Prilosec, etc.).  You will sti
    BFP#1: 10/29/11 EDD: 7/14/12 MMC: 12/28/11 BFP#2: 5/17/12 EDD: 1/27/13 Trevor was born on 1/21/13! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 8e4774ee-d2a4-4dd5-9180-492d059e568e_zpsb44e90d8.jpg
  • imageedinger3:
    I'm sorry to hear that your DS is experiencing this.  This does sound like reflux.  My DS has it pretty ba
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagePandasMama0626:

imageedi
    BFP#1: 10/29/11 EDD: 7/14/12 MMC: 12/28/11 BFP#2: 5/17/12 EDD: 1/27/13 Trevor was born on 1/21/13! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 8e4774ee-d2a4-4dd5-9180-492d059e568e_zpsb44e90d8.jpg
  • That's how DS was for a while until we realized it was reflux.  He is a very happy baby, rarely ever cried.  Then all of the sudden he had a few days of non stop crying.  He cried even while we held him, it was terrible.  He had nev

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• This describes my 1st son to a T. He was finally diagnosed with silent reflux at 3 months. His pedi was never concerned because he didn't vomit and gained weight. It took me having a complete nervous breakdown in the office for them to realize how bad

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This sounds exactly like my DS, except that he nurses and he does throw it up often, seemingly in pain.  He'll sleep for 4-5 hours at night, swaddled and turned slightly on his side, but then the next four hours consist of me soothing him while he wr
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"