Natural Birth

Why are you having a natural birth?

Mobile: Why are you having a natural birth?

Hey ladies! I was laying in bed last night wondering why on earth I'm planning a natural birth again. I thought it would be fun to hear everyone's different reasons for having or attempting a natural birth. So let's hear them! Lurkers come out and play too!

Married to the love of my life 8/14/09
Our sweet little Easton was born at home 3/15/12
Suprise BFP! 09/20/12 natural m/c 10/09/12
Baby Heidi was born at home (picture perfect homebirth!) 7/28/13
 imageimage

Re: Why are you having a natural birth?

• I'm planning another homebirth because I want to give birth in the privacy and comfort of my own home. I don't think that a normal birth belongs in the hospital. I also think going natural is best for baby.

I love my MW and we have a great co

imageimage

• For me, it was because I really wanted a vaginal birth. Having an epidural can come with other "fun" things that make a c-section more likely, such as continous monitoring, slowing labor, pitocin, fetal distress, etc. Even though that obviously doesn't

image image image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm planning a natural birth because I believe that it is better for LO and the potential side effects of interventions aren't worth it. For as "rare" as it is for epidurals to not work or have complications, it seems like everyone I talk to had the ep

• For me at first it was because I'm scared to death of having a c-section. Because of that I looked into ways to try and avoid a c-section and came to believe that a natural birth is the best way to do things for me and my baby. My sister-in-law also had t

• I have a history of back problems, and have had epidurals for other reasons that have left me nearly incapacitated for days after. I know that this could be a double edged sword and just as easily cause problems that require medication, but I'm hoping to
    image"">imageimageimage

• Hey!  Nice to see some other moms from my BMB.  I have had four babies naturally (aren't you glad we don't get flamed for calling it that on this board? :-)   They have all been VERY different from each other but have been amaz

IAmPregnant TickerBabyFruit TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • The first time had the typical reasons - I believe it's a natural process, I wanted to avoid a cascade of interventions, and I believe it's healthier for me and for baby.  TBH, I also really wanted to know that I could do it.  I did, and it t

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• I know we don't get medals for going natural (as every woman who thinks my med-free plan is crazy has told me), but I love the high I get after pushing my physical boundaries. Way before BFP, I was out of shape and inactive. About a year before I got p

• I'm attempting a home birth so mine is geared towards HB which is of course going to be a natural birth.

1. I'm more afraid of the epidural than I am of giving birth.

2. I don't trust the hospital maternity staff to listen let alon

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going for a natural birth because I want to become a doula and I think it will be important experience for me to have to draw from when I eventually start attending births for other women.
  • I believe that women are created to give birth. God has built us to withstand this pain and women have been doing it for thousands of years. The minimal recovery period, connection that is formed with your body... Many many reasons!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I trust my own body more than any medical "practice". I dread anytime I have to go to the hospital because doctors in general don't care what the patient has to say, informed or otherwise, and assume you don't know what your talking about, even whe

image     image
    Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013

• I'm having a natural birth for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, because I probably won't have any option for an epidural or any other pain medications due to my tendency to go through labor and delivery super fast. I went from 3cm to fully dilated
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Ooh, great thread. My reasons for wanting a natural birth have evolved throughout my pregnancy. I guess I started out thinking I didn't want an epi because I was worried it would stall out my labor and lead to a cascade of other interventions. And then

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • It started with researching why my otherwise healthy friend ended up with a c-section for a "long labor." I'd never heard of such a thing, and just assumed that c-sections were only for serious, immediate life-threatening emergencies. That led me to Th

"Can I call your baby 'Ze Munchkin,' or 'ZM' for short?" - my best friend
  • I was just pretty sure I could do it and wanted to see if I could.
    Oh, that is fantastic. This...this is wine. Yeah. Look what all these idiots are drinking. Look at these dicks!
    Obviously it's not really delicious, like hot chocolate or Coke, but for wine...brilliant.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image overture:
    I was just pretty sure I could do it and wanted to see if I could.

This is how I feel. It
    imageimage
  • When I was pregnant with my son, I kept asking myself why I wouldn't at least TRY to have a natural birth? I mean, what's the harm in trying? I wasn't going to make it something that would devastate me if it didn't happen, but I knew it was something I

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Perfect timing for me and this question, I am in early labor... here we go!!! Looking back at my first birth I think I didn't really know why I wanted to go unmedicated. I had watched BOBB but I feel like I was still totally clueless. I hadn't prepared at
  • image pdilly2b:

For me, it was because I really wanted a vaginal birth. Having an epidural can come with other "fun" things that mak

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm not sick and there isn't anything wrong with me so it doesn't make sense to me to need medication. I was also really struck by the numbers that Ina May gave about the occurrence of autism in all children vs. the children that were born at the farm. We
    J13 and A15 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Fails
    Nailed it.... Fingernailed it

image     image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image jwhedonfan:
    Perfect timing for me and this question, I am in early labor... here we go!!! Looking back at my first birth I think I

imageimage

• I have had three natural water births . For me its always been a decision of what's best for my baby and myself. I believe that going natural yes is painful but my body can handle it so why would I risk complications not only to myself but my child for co
  • Amen on the coffee Audrey! And the financial side of it is no joke. For me 2 extra weeks of recovery and therefore mat leave for a c section would be the difference of a mortgage payment. Maybe it wouldn't matter much to the doctor but it matters a lot to
  • I wanted a med-free birth with my first-born, but I didn't have the courage.  Then I had post-partum hemorrhaging twice after having DD.  Scared the crap out of me.  It was due to retained placenta.  I want this experience to be comple

BabyFetus Ticker

• Because I'm afraid of epidural. Seriously, needles and catheters and drugs in my spinal area, MY SPINE! That scares me.

Because I like experiencing things, I want to experience the whole range of feeling that happens with birth.

Because I'm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my first son, I initially was interested in a natural birth because I generally like to avoid medicine whenever possible.  I also wanted to avoid the dreaded "cascade of interventions".  Natural just seemed "right" to me.  As my pregna
  • image PansyPants:

Because natural birth (for me) is like a drug trip that ends in profound love and a wee baby.

</BLOCKQ
    Oh, that is fantastic. This...this is wine. Yeah. Look what all these idiots are drinking. Look at these dicks!
    Obviously it's not really delicious, like hot chocolate or Coke, but for wine...brilliant.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I already had my baby-he is a year old now. But I had many reasons to have a natrual birth. I didn't always want one, I was scared of the pain. Then I realized I was more scared of getting an epidural and the possibility of having to have a c-section.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • What a great post! It's so inspiring to hear all of these reasons.

I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my first child and am planning a homebirth. There are so many reasons, I'm not sure if I could list them, but basically I believe it's by far the best a

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards