Breastfeeding

Getting frustrated... Need some encouragement

DS is 6 weeks old. From the time he was born, I've been having issues with breastfeeding. I've been working with a LC from him being 2 weeks old dealing with low supply. We have increased my supply, but it's still not enough. DS is getting majority of breastmilk from me with some supplementing. Last week we tried on just my breastmilk and DS gained, but not enough. He's just now right around birth weight. As the LC says, my supply is so close to being right where it needs to be as he's only getting 3 or 4 oz of supplement a day. I feel like each week we try something new and it just isn't quite working. I go back to work in a month and I have zero stash. I also know there are times where I'll be away from DS, such as a wedding in June, and I hate the thought of him eating formula all day when I've been working so hard to get bf to work. I keep thinking how easy ff would be, but I'm determined to bf. Now we're thinking that DS is snacking and not allowing time for my boobs to fill up so we're trying to get him to go 3 hours in between feedings. Unfortunately he likes to comfort suck and decided one hour after feeding this last time that he needed the boob again. I tried a pacifier but he doesn't really like it. I don't know what to do. Should I keep trying to get him to take the pacifier in between feedings to allow my boobs to fill? Is it ok for him to comfort suck? I don't know if he's eating any milk or not when he does it. DH is not very supportive and I feel like I have no one, other than the LC, supporting me.

Sorry this is so long and thanks for reading. It's so hard being a FTM.
DS: BFP 5/2012, EDD 1/28/2013, born 2/2013
Our Little Angel: BFP 1/25/2014 (EDD 10/4/2014), u/s #1 3/6/2014, u/s #2 3/18/2014 no heartbeat, mmc, miscarried 3/27/2014
BFP 6/21/2014 (EDD 3/3/2015) Grow baby, grow!

image   image

My Chart
                                                                                All AL Welcome 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Getting frustrated... Need some encouragement

• Big hug for all of your stress, and congrats on working so hard for your LO.  I would let your baby feed anytime they want to.  Nipple stimulations is always good for supply.  If you are unsure how much LO is getting you could rent a sca

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• try different pacifiers. babies are picky little people. maybe try expressing the smallest bit of milk onto the pacifier and see if that helps
    2013-01-22 15.31.11

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You are describing my situation exactly! What I found worked for me was to get up in the middle of the night in between DD feeding times and pump. I can get on average 3 oz, which is what we are currently supplementing her. Like if she goes to bed at 12:0
    Diagonsed PCOS TTC since May 2009
    First M/C December 2010 Second M/C August 2011
    Oct 2011~Second round clomid 50 mg; BFN
    Nov 2011~Third round clomid 50 mg: BFP
    Dec 11- Beta #1 91;Dec 13- Beta #2 186.2
    Dec 27- third miscarriage
    May 25th- Beta #1 369;May 27th- Beta #2 798
    Baby girl born Jan 23, 9lbs 3oz, 21 1/2" long
    May 27th-Beta #1 80; May 29th- Beta #2 304; May 31st- Beta #3 860
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would just let baby breastfeed as often as baby wants. This will help keep to keep your milk supply up as well. Has your lactation consultant recommended any herbs? I've been using some capsules from breastfeedingherbs.com and it has helped me to increa
  • I feel for you. I went through the same issues and thought about quitting 100s of times and actually had to take a weekend off, that's how bad things got. My LO is now 9 1/2 months and still BFing, so there is hope. My advice is to relax, stressing abo

BabyFruit Ticker

May Siggy Challenge Favorite vacation spot - HAWAII
  • You don't need a stash before you go back to work...you only need enough for your first day back. So try to not stress about that. 

I would not limit feedings. The longer time your DS spends at the breast, the more he is going to increase y

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦