March 2013 Moms

engorgement, how long?

I know your breasts get engorged when your milk comes in but how long is it suppose to last? I read somewhere no more than 24 hours.
My milk came in and it's past 24 hours. I don't see any signs of it letting up besides when baby feeds but it just fills right back up.
Any tips or advice?

Re: engorgement, how long?

• Are you pumping?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I heard it takes up to a few days.

• Loading the player...
  • It can take a few days, especially if you're badly engorged. I got so engorged my DD couldn't latch and it took me a long time to express enough to allow the nipple to soften enough for her to latch. I couldn't even cross my arms or have anything brush ag
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagecovertxxamour:
    Are you pumping?

The Lac consultant said not too until afer 2 weeks. And I'm afraid
  • imageSarahRae85:
    It can take a few days, especially if you're badly engorged. I got so engorged my DD couldn't latch and it took me a lo
  • Especially if LO is struggling to latch, I would express just enough to take the edge off.
  • It lasted 4 days for me but I wasn't breast feeding at all because of a medication I was on. I just had to let it dry up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • 48hrs of rock hard pain, but this is my second time around, and I heard it can be worse with 2 plus pregnancies. I'd hand express a bit just to get some relief. I am still tender on and off.... Take ibuprofen, it helped for me, also nurse often.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it was maybe a week with DD1. If he's having trouble latching, hand express some milk out to soften the breast a little. I wouldn't use a pump at all at this point. You can also try to hand express a little in the shower with the hot water.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Mine was so bad I had to pump. I pumped enough to just make them less hard/feel better. I pumped two times the first day and then once the second. Felt much better after that!
  • My lac said to pump for comfort. In my experience, it is much harder for the baby to latch when you're too full.  Also, when your breasts aren't fully emptied, they will start producing less milk.  Go to Kellymom.com.  they have lots of goo
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSarahRae85:
    It can take a few days, especially if you're badly engorged. I got so engorged my DD couldn't latch and it took me
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"