August 2012 Moms

Honey - thinking ahead for the 1 year mark

When will you feel comfortable giving honey? I know they say 1 year, but I don't know if I'll even be comfortable giving it then. Maybe 18 months or 2 years? I'm a paranoid mama!  We've been really easy-going and even not worried about the 3-day rule with other foods, but the whole botulism thing makes me worry even when they say it should be safe.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Honey - thinking ahead for the 1 year mark

• It's not something we use besides in carrots. Dax just started eating honey sandwiches. And he's 2.5 I don't see any reason to need to before then anyways.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It's not a staple so not worried
    lolololo
  • Loading the player...
  • I was totally fine giving it in baked goods at 1. Our 2yr old has had honey if we're eating it in something.

The risk is actually for unpasteurized honey - most commercial honey is pasteurized (or corn syrup masquerading as honey). Also, if it's baking and the internal temp gets high enough - I can't remember the number- (ask your baker or use a meat thermometer), it's totally fine. But if you don't know better to be safe than sorry.

• imagesosoph:

I was totally fine giving it in baked goods at 1. Our 2yr old has had honey if we're eating it in something.

The risk is actually for unpasteurized honey - most commercial honey is pasteurized (or corn syrup masquerading as honey). Also, if it's baking and the internal temp gets high enough - I can't remember the number- (ask your baker or use a meat thermometer), it's totally fine. But if you don't know better to be safe than sorry.

Baked goods are actually what I was thinking about when I posted this. I've started looking at cake recipes because I want to find one that's not completely unhealthy for LO's first birthday and some of them call for honey. (I know I still have 5.5 months, but I'm not much of a baker so I want to start trying out recipes ahead of time.)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• the only real time I could think that my future 1 year old would want honey, or me give her honey is in Honey nut cherrios
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSharona1700:
    How about maple syrup?
    That might work!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• You could allard use apple sauce, coconut nectar or banana as a sugar replacement. That's what I do. Outside of bdays my plan is cut out sugar. I also found good gluten free cake mixes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageabbyful:
    imageSharona1700:
    How about maple syrup?

That might work!

I think you have to worry about botulism in maple syrup, too but I could be wring. Plus, I wouldn't swap those for each other because maple syrup is much more runny so you'd be drastically changing the texture of the cake.

But, if the recipe has acid in it like lemon juice, yogurt or buttermilk, plus it's baked, you're creating a hostile environment for botulism. It would die off when the cake temp reaches 160.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• This may sound silly but since I bf can I still eat honey? Obviously I'm not going to feed it to her but I assumed I couldn't eat it either.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• imageSharona1700:

imageCoUnTryBB1:
    This may sound silly but since I bf can I still eat honey? Obviously I'm not going to feed it to her but I assumed I couldn't eat it either.

Honey is okay for you, botulism can't be passed along in bm.

Ah. I didn't think so but I have given away two of my fresh honey jars I get in my produce share. I'm sooooo having honey on everything next week. I can't believe how blonde I can be sometimes but thank you Sharona!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• imageCoUnTryBB1:
    imageSharona1700:

imageCoUnTryBB1:
    This may sound silly but since I bf can I still eat honey? Obviously I'm not going to feed it to her but I assumed I couldn't eat it either.

Ah. I didn't think so but I have given away two of my fresh honey jars I get in my produce share. I'm sooooo having honey on everything next week. I can't believe how blonde I can be sometimes but thank you Sharona!

That is so funny that you posted this because right after reading this post (before you posted) I had the same thought and went to look it up because I recently ate honey by itself.  I have a cough and its great for that!  So i was like "uh-oh.."  I also found its safe.  Just what Sharona said.

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageCoUnTryBB1:
    imageSharona1700:

imageCoUnTryBB1:

You get honey in your produce share? That sounds awesome.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imageBaker_Bride:
    imageCoUnTryBB1:
    imageSharona1700:

imageCoUnTryBB1:

You get honey in your produce share? That sounds awesome.

Yeah the honey is fresh and all the produce is from a 100mile radius. Most is organic or spray free. It was the sole reason we eat healthier. I also get fresh apple cider in the fall. I don't think I will ever buy a tomatoe from the grocery again.
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"