Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Bath time

My DS is 6 months old and just within the past 2 weeks he has started sitting up on his own for a few minutes at a time. Sometimes he still seems wobbly but so far so good. He also LOVES his bath time at night and we are using a whale tub that leans back and fits inside our tub. He's been in it since we brought him home from the hospital. We give him a bath every night, since he loves it so much and it's good for establishing a bedtime routine, but my question is when did you start having your LO sit up in the tub for bath time?

I guess, I'm just worried about him being steady enough in the tub. TIA!

Re: Bath time

• Get something like this.  They really need to be sitting well before sitting up in the bath but these seats work really well.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorel-Safety-Swivel-Bath-Pastel/dp/B004U4KRQE/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1362880745&sr=1-6&keywords=bath+seat ;

• We started a couple weeks ago (6.5 months), but he was still very wobbly.  So, I kept my hand on his hips holding him steady.  Every night, it takes less and less support.  Now, my hand is just there to catch him in case he decides to dive into the water.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Same exact situation for us. Same tub and all. The stopper comes out of the whale tub when LO is ready to sit up in it. I actually get in the tub with my LO bc I hate leaning over the tub.
  • Thanks ladies! I checked out the link for the bath seat and that looks awesome! I had looked the other week at babies r us for a "seat" option and didn't see anything like that!

I also didn't think about taking the stopper out of the whale tub and then letting him sit up in there. That may be a good baby step toward sitting in the big tub! Thanks for all the suggestions :
  • Our LO is 9 months old now. She is not a fan of bathtime (at least not the hair-washing part).  We've repurposed our Bumbo as a bath seat. It has been helping so far. She can sit and play with bubbles and rubber duckies and we don't have to worry about her slipping and sliding around.  The hair washing part still is the worst, but at least she's happy and stable for the rest of the bath!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just last night we had DD sit up in the whale tub. We turned her around so her back was to the whale face, not the tail, so she would have some back support. It worked put wonderfully.
  • Those bath seats always seem like a waste of money and space to me- we would have only used it for a month before she was really sitting up well enough in the tub.  We just kept her in the whale tub until she was a steady sitter.  Never took out the green stopper, though we could have.  We kept her laying back while we washed, then sat her up in the whale for a few minutes to let her play.  The PP's idea of putting LO backwards for some back support is great, too- I'll have to remember that for next baby.

Now that she's a great sitter, we just have a suction cup bath mat at the bottom of the tub and there are no problems.  She loves being in the big tub.

imageimage

• Even though my LO started sitting up alone at 6 months, he just started sitting in the actual tub. He's now 8 1/2 months but I didn't feel he was strong enough to do it until recently. 
     imageimage
  • My DS also started sitting up in his whale tub around that age too. He was unsteady but wanted to be able to sit instead of recline. After quite a few unsuccessful attempts of him trying to sit in his whale tub, we decided to break out the munchkin duck tub that we had gotten for a gift. He could sit up a lot better in that tub, and he was also able to lean back again the duck's tail when he needed to.

He used to like the baths in his whale tub, but now he absolutely loves baths in his duck tub.

• image SunnyDays26:
    Thanks ladies! I checked out the link for the bath seat and that looks awesome! I had looked the other week at babies r us for a "seat" option and didn't see anything like that! I also didn't think about taking the stopper out of the whale tub and then letting him sit up in there. That may be a good baby step toward sitting in the big tub! Thanks for all the suggestions :

This is what we do.. Although now she knows she can pull herself up so thats fun. :) 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We usually get in the tub with our guy, have been almost since he came home.  Usually my husband, gives him a chance to bond since I have more time during the day with the baby.  It's sweet to see him play with him.  Now that our guy is starting to sit up more, he reaches for the bubbles from the soap and the few toys floating around.  I'm sure once he's a bit more stable, we'll start getting out of the bath.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage