October 2012 Moms

Coconut oil

Where can you buy it? Walmart? Natural health store? Also where is it?  In the health and beauty section?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Coconut oil

• I've seen it with the oils in the reg grocery and at the natural grocery it's in both places.  You may want to look up if there's a specific type of coconut oil that's better for skin care...I can't remember if it mattered.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've seen it on amazon

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Health stores or amazon.

Cooper Thomas | 08.02.12 at 31w2d | 3lb 9oz
    TTC #2 since 10.13

image image image image

• Walmart, meijer... I'm guessing most grocery stores :
  • Health food stores, in the cooking oils section
  • Thanks for asking this! I was wondering the same thing.
    =BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • CVS kind of in the vitamin section there are oils there too.
    MurphyBearsMom Blog
    Born: October 9th, 2012
    Baby Girl, Audrey Elena

• I buy mine at my local grocery store in the natural health food section. It's next to the honey and syrups at my place.

• I got mine from Amazon. Its a 16 oz tub and I think it'll last forever.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    N~May 2004     C~Oct 2012

It's the internet. Like you don't own shit. Even Al Gore doesn't say shit like that and he invented the internet. ~~Mbenit4
  • I've bought it at Kroger before. It's in the cooking aisle with other oils. Just in case you weren't aware, it's a solid, so it comes in a tub, not a bottle of oil, like olive oil. I assumed that the first time I looked for it.
  • What do you use it for - cooking?  I used to put it in my hair but I've never cooked with it so I was just curious.
    photo IMG_4700_zps23775c65.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Cbeanz:
    What do you use it for - cooking?  I used to put it in my hair but I've never cooked with it so I was just curious.

Coconut Oil is so healthy for you, you can put it on anything. It's a funny consistency, but when it's hot it just melts and looks like water. I put a spoonful in my oatmeal everyday. You can put it on anything really. Steam some veggies put a spoonful in the pan when it's done and just let it melt, into your spaghetti sauce or salad dressing will work too.

• image ChrisG83:

image Cbeanz:
    What do you use it for - cooking?  I used to put it in my hair but I've never cooked with it so I was just curious.

Coconut Oil is so healthy for you, you can put it on anything. It's a funny consistency, but when it's hot it just melts and looks like water. I put a spoonful in my oatmeal everyday. You can put it on anything really. Steam some veggies put a spoonful in the pan when it's done and just let it melt, into your spaghetti sauce or salad dressing will work too.

Does it have a strong coconut flavor?

• image cardiganmom:
    image ChrisG83:

image Cbeanz:

Does it have a strong coconut flavor?

No not at all, that is what made me so nervous. It actually has a kind of very faint sweet taste. However depending on what you put it in you may not taste it. I saute my onions in it and put it in my spaghetti and no taste at all, in my oatmeal though there is a bland faint sweet taste. I can't say enough good things about it. I make sure to get a spoonful of it everyday. My family eats it and has no clue ;-)

• Fractionated coconut oil comes in liquid form. I buy mine from wholesalesupplies.com for soap making. Some people think it's the best thing for your skin but there are actually other oils that have better moisturizing properties for your skin. Coconut oil helps make a firm bar of soap but it has drying effects on the skin. Straight olive oil is one of the best things that you can put on your skin. No need for extra virgin!

• I get this from my local beauty store

PersonalMilestone
  • Costco : I use it to replace half the butter in cookies, as a satuee oil for everything, nipple cream, diaper cream... Lotion... Add it to lots of things... Umm...