March 2013 Moms


My doctor wants me to get a NST and ultrasound this Saturday (my actual due date) and mentioned that I can also get induced at this time, even if everything is normal.  I thought induction was saved for complications or if baby was 41-42 weeks.  Has anyone else had an elective induction on their due date?  Sure, I'd love to have baby sooner than later, but not sure if we should just wait until baby is ready on his/her own.

Re: Induction?

  • Ive heard that from quite a few women.

    I'll be induced Monday because of iugr, so mine will be out at 37 weeks. If he put the option out there for you, consider it if you want, or tell him no. Either way, you'll have a baby soon.
    Cheese mama! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was due on Monday and getting induced on Thurs. I have had a lot of friends wait 7-10 days after their due date and they still had to be induced. I don't think it will change the outcome. Its up to you and what you feel comfortable doing.
  • Elective inductions are usually a hot topic on here.

    I actually just had an elective induction yesterday at 39 weeks 4 days. My OB won't do elective inductions unless you are a second [or plus] mom. I weighed any pros and cons and was comfortable with it so I went for it. I was already 2 cm and 70 percent and had been having contractions [they started me on the lowest dose of pit and I went into labor right away, it was never even increased]. I don't think I would have done so if I wasn't making progress though.

    FWIW, I had a healthy baby boy yesterday after 9 hours of labor and 15 minutes of pushing. Much, much better than the 18 hours of labor and hour and a half of pushing with DS1!


  • There are risks with induction. Do your research and make an educated decision. Remember babies will come when they are ready and as long as you and baby are fine, its most always better to stay out of the way and let nature take its course.  

    Here's some references: Patients/faq154.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130306T1034121601 

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Personally I would wait if it was my first baby. What is the rush is there is such a high risk of c-section with first baby inductions?

    That being said, this will be my 4th and I am having an elective induction at 39 weeks.  I was induced last time due to high bp and it was what I would call a fantastic birth experience.  I progressed quickly and got an epi right away, so I felt next to no pain.  It took 4hours and actually just one push.

  • I requested to be induced on my due date (3/28) because my mother is traveling from Scotland, UK and only has just so much time to visit with the new baby before going back and then it will be at least 2-3 years before she can afford to come back / we can afford to go over. 

    DH is also currently deployed to Afghanistan and will be unable to come home so a planned induction will ensure he has adequate notice to be able to Skype in for the birth.

    There are some women on here who are strongly against it and will be very vocal about it telling you that you're a terrible person if you even consider it. But ultimately it's your body, your baby, your choice. I would try and find some NON-biased websites concerning the risks and then make up your mind from there.

    I trust my OB 150% and I know he wouldn't let me be induced if it wasn't safe for me even for the reasons I want one.

    Besides, it's not like you're being induced at 35 weeks... it's your due date after all. 

    Thrilled on becoming a First Time Mom!
    BFP 7/18/2012 ~ EDD 3/28/2013
    10/11/2012 - 16w - It's a boy!

  • As long as your OB believes it will be fine do what you feel comfortable doing.I am having an elective induction in a week, my husband works nights and 35 min away and the hospital is 40 min. away.kept freaking out that i'll go into labor and he'll have to drive home to get me and then all the way back to the hospital that it was scaring me.Doctor said we would induce to avoid the trouble and fears.She says baby is measuring at 2 weeks ahead and I trust her.
  • I'm due this Saturday. My doctor set up an office appointment for me for this Monday in case I haven't given birth over the weekend, and she said that, at that appt, we'd probably make arrangements to induce that following Thursday if conditions looked good for induction- I'm guessing she'd take BIshop score factors into account to see if it would be a good idea. My OB hasn't led me astray yet, so I will trust whatever advice she gives.

    I think induction is a very personal choice, but that it must be made for the right reasons. Obviously, cases in which waiting could endanger mom or baby- high BP, for example- are no-brainers to me, and doing it early just to "get it over with" may not necessarily be the right decision. Like any other decision, the options have to be weighed carefully. Myself, I am perfectly comfortable with inducing at just shy of 41 weeks if my doctor examines me and says conditions are favorable. I know some people would be against the idea of doing it just to meet or be close to your due date because I understand sometimes due dates are wrong, and there have been many inductions that have led to unnecessary c-sections in which babies were underdeveloped because mom was determined to be further along than she was. In this case, I'm very certain my due date is accurate, since we were TTC and I know when I ovulated, so I'm pretty sure little man is well-baked.

    So, unfortunately, there's really not much I could say to sway you one way or the other. If you feel comfortable inducing on your due date and you fully trust the advice you get at your appointment, then by all means do it. But if any of the risks scare you and you would rather wait for nature to take its course, then you should go that route instead.

  • Thanks for all your feedback!  My own opinion echoes most of what you've been's just nice to hear what others are thinking:) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards