April 2013 Moms
Options

Breastmilk Freezer Storage Bags

Do you have use breastmilk storage bags to freeze breastmilk or can you use regular freezer bags to save money? 

Also, I have heard of people freezing breastmilk in ice cube trays.  Once frozen, do you transfer to a freezer bag or leave in the ice cube tray?  What is the point of doing this over freezing in a storage bag?

Re: Breastmilk Freezer Storage Bags

• Options
    My only guess, and it is just a guess, is for measurement purposes. 
    -Jackie "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Breastmilk freezer bags are sanitized and sterile. They are sealed until you pull off the tab for use. They are also measured. I would not personally use freezer bags or ice cube trays to store breastmilk. It's not very sanitary.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesynchrosally:
    Breastmilk freezer bags are sanitized and sterile. They are sealed until you pull off the tab for use. They are also measured. I would not personally use freezer bags or ice cube trays to store breastmilk. It's not very sanitary.

I'm not sure everything needs to be sterile for breastmilk storage.  My boob certainly isn't.  I don't sterilize the bottles.  But I do think the lansinoh storage bags are pretty inexpensive and work the best for that purpose.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    FTM here so I'm not sure about using any other type of storage method, but I worked at a daycare for two years so I've seen all types of breast milk storage devices. I really liked the bags because, when frozen flat, they don't take up much space and thaw faster. Just food for thought :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage
  • Options
    Milk storage bags are sterile, which is nice, plus they freeze nice and flat and are just the right size. I used the Lansinoh bags and they worked really well! They aren't really that expensive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageskoogirl:

imagesynchrosally:

I'm not sure everything needs to be sterile for breastmilk storage.  My boob certainly isn't.  I don't sterilize the bottles.  But I do think the lansinoh storage bags are pretty inexpensive and work the best for that purpose.

I'm just guessing you don't store your breasts next to raw meat though.  I can't imagine putting an open ice cube tray of breast milk right in next to the chicken cutlets. Seems like a good way to contaminate your breast milk. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
    You fill me!!! Z! My BFP Chart
  • Options
    Lansinoh storage bags worked great with DS. After I froze the bags flat I organized them into gallon ziplocks with others from similar dates. Doing the ice cube trays would have taken much more room for me with the amount of milk I had.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"