TTC After a Loss

Temping impossible (DD mentioned)

So with all the research  I've done into temping and taking the advice you all gave me the other day, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not going to be able to temp accurately :(

Between my not sleeping well (like ever)   My DD still waking me up in the night needing things, and my DH's irregular schedule I'm never awake at the same time every day and can't guarantee that I'll have gotten 3 good hours in a row.  Is there a cheaper way then OPK's to tell if I ovulate. I used to get some slight cramping when I would O before I was on BCP's but nothing since my loss. I'm kinda assuming that means I'm not Oing. 

Would it still be worth it to try temping even if I can't follow all the guidelines?

I know that kinda sounds like I'm complaining but really I'm just confused and concerned, sorry if it came across complainy (is that a word haha)

Re: Temping impossible (DD mentioned)

•  Is there a cheaper way then OPK's to tell if I ovulate.

I'm not a temping expert so I don't have advice on that, but I did want to tell you that OPKs don't tell you that your ovulating. They just predict it and let you know your body is getting ready to O. Some women "gear up" for the O, but it doesn't actually happen. Temping is the only way to tell that it did in fact happen.

Hope you figure something out that works for you! FX! Smile

TTC Our Rainbow Since May 2011

BFP#1 9/9/12 -- EDD 5/14/13 -- MMC 10/10/12 Miso 10/19/12

BFP #2 9/17/13 -- EDD 5/25/14-- CP confirmed 9/21/13
     BFP #3
    2/1/14 -- EDD 10/5/14 -- NMC 2/10/14

Dx: low progesterone & mild hypothyroidism

My Chart

4e41feae2813d8779361f4b4a13b4b 1

~*~All AL Welcome~*~

• I would temp anyways. I did it for awhile when I wasn't getting up at the same time. I would do it even at like 1 am if I knew I had some good sleep. My chart wasn't perfect. There were some wonky temps but I got the general idea and there was a shift. HTH

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • Loading the player...
  • Other women can probably chime in about what kind of results you will get with inconsistent sleep patterns.  Since I don't temp either, I don't know whether it's worth it or not. 

But FWIW, I don't temp. DH has a very unpredictable/crazy schedule and he needs his sleep - if I set the alarm on the weekend for 5 AM, he would be such a grouch that day we wouldn't BD. No BDing means I have no chance of conceiving. So for me personally, I think I am better off not temping (at least so far...give me a few more months and I will probably change my mind).

I use OPKs. You mentioned you were worried about the cost. Have you looked into the Wondfo brand - you can find them on Amazon. The last pack I bought had 40 OPKs and 10 HPTs for about $15. WAY cheaper than the OPKs at the grocery store!

OPKs only tell you you are gearing up to O, not that you have. So they are similar but not exactly the same. For me, the OPKs are enough. For other women, they want to know exactly what's going on. I think it's just a personal preference. 

July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Thank you so much ladies! I didn't even think of looking on amazon for OPK's I'll look into those (DH is still of the mind that it'll happen when it happens so I may not purchase yet) 

Sounds like temping for a general idea still isn't a bad idea and I'll try the CP and CM thing too.

I appreciate your all your advice. Hopefully after this AF is over I'll be able to learn a little more about my body.  

• Kids mentioned...

Before I had my DD I temped. I had beautiful charts. I stopped after her and just went with it after that. We BD'd every other day during what I thought my fertile week was. I did OPK's with my DS and that's what I use now. We BD every other day until I get a + and then we usually BD 3 days in a row and then I figured I O'd.I don't get consecutive sleep so my temps are not good.  

DH, Jared 7/28/01; DD, Isabella Grace 11/28/06; said good-bye to baby 2 5/09 (11.5 weeks); said good-bye to Dakota Blu 11/09 (11.5 weeks); DS, Benjamin Cruz 12/6/10; said good-bye to babies 5 and 6 09/12 (8 weeks); baby "K" our foster son 11/28/12 came to us 1/7/14
  • There are other FAM methods that just focus on CM and CP rather than temping that might be helpful for you as well-- they get more in depth about CM type.  I think the Billings method and Creighton are both CM centered. Good luck!

Edit: Fair warning, Creighton is church affiliated-- (I think Billings is too, but I'm not sure) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemlal78:

I sleep like crap most nights....between sleeping lightly, dh snoring, etc i wake up a couple of times a night, and not at the exact same time every morning.

I keep my temp time the same in FF (7 am) because that is the most consistent wake up time for me, and if my wake up is way off that then I will change it.

My chart is not the prettiest, and if Iknow I have had a really bad night sleep I will mark sleep deprived.  That being said, I can still see a pattern, and get ch's when I O.

Pretty much this exactly for me.  I'm the worst sleeper, I am truly an insomniac with massively random sleep patterns.  I do temp, I don't set an alarm but rather just take my temp whenever I have the most sleep in any given night, it might be anywhere between 3-6 am.  I just enter N/A in FF for temp time, and even with my wonky waking times I've still always been able to see a temp shift.  This past cycle isn't one to go by as it's my first post-loss, so it's excessively long and wacky as all get out.  But my cycles charting last fall were wonky sleepers but still had very clear temp shifts at O matching up with my OPKs.  I'd say give it a try, it can't hurt. :)

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• imagemlal78:

I sleep like crap most nights....between sleeping lightly, dh snoring, etc i wake up a couple of times a night, and not at the exact same time every morning.

I keep my temp time the same in FF (7 am) because that is the most consistent wake up time for me, and if my wake up is way off that then I will change it.

My chart is not the prettiest, and if Iknow I have had a really bad night sleep I will mark sleep deprived.  That being said, I can still see a pattern, and get ch's when I O.

***DD / BFP mentioned****

This for me as well. My kid wakes up at random hours and so sometimes I don't totally have the 3 hours, but if it's close (or if I wake up within a half hour of my temping time) I'll just take it then. It worked fine on my previous BFP (which unfortunately ended in m/c), but you have to be prepared for an ugly chart. It can be done! Good luck.

my blog - blogged bliss BFP 3/2/09 - EDD 11/10/2009 - Abigail born 10/27/2009
    BFP 12/23/12 - EDD 9/4/2013 - blighted ovum found 1/18/13 - d&c 1/25/13

My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"