Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Is my baby overweight?

My little ladybug was 16.4 lbs at her 4 month and she goes for her 6 month in 2 weeks. I was just wondering in your opinion is she overweight? Obviously i will discuss with my doctor at her appointment as well. She gets around 28-32oz of formula throughout the day. 

TIA 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Is my baby overweight?

• imagejasrun80:
    No.
    I don't think she is either, I'm just sick of people saying " oh my god she is so big!" 
  • Loading the player...
  • My son was 18.5. She's healthy, enjoy that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image2heartz1luv:
    imagejasrun80:
    No.
    I don't think she is either, I'm just sick of people saying " oh my god she is so big!" 

Is "Oh my god she looks like a baby bird!" better?

I've commented on a baby's size before and it's always a good thing, like, "look how healthy he is growing!" 

edit to clarify 

• Eli was 16lbs at his 4 month appt & I also get sensitive when people say how big he is but the doctor said he is healthy and that he doesn't worry about weight in the first year b/c growing at a healthy rate is so important to their brain development. Eli was in the 75th% in both height and weight & he also gets about 30 oz of formula a day. If the doctor isn't worried and I am not shoving a bottle in his mouth every time he makes a fuss then he must be growing just fine! I wouldn't worry, but I know how you feel. :)
  • Thanks ladies. :)
  • Our boy was 17.5 lbs at his 4 month and 27.25 inches. I know what you mean. People just say things I guess to be nice but it is easy to take it the wrong way.  I found that most comments come from people who have not been around babies much. I like the pp to comment about a healthy baby. A good reply I have found is- the dr says he's doing great. Mine also eats 28-33 ounces a day. 
  • Nope, sounds just right for that age. My son was 16 lbs at 4 mos and FF feed too. My daughter is much smaller than he was and I am anxious about that. See--too big, too small, it doesn't matter--we always worry! When your baby starts moving around her weight will slow down too
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • image2heartz1luv:
    imagejasrun80:
    No.

I'm so tired of hearing it too!  A friend, every single time we see her, says "OMG he's HUGE!  He's bigger than my son (who is almost 6 months)."  Started to really bug me and made me ask the ped at his 2 month if he was too big.  The ped told me I was being ridiculous.  

DS is about 13 lbs now, 3 weeks shy of his 4 month.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• DS is 20 lbs and just turned 4 mos. today. People always go "oh my God, I thought he was 8 months" when I say how old he is. People just like to say something. Babies are not considered overweight at the age no matter what they weigh. Don't worry ;)
  • imageJimsgirl5821:
    DS is 20 lbs and just turned 4 mos. today. People always go "oh my God, I thought he was 8 months" when I say how old he is. People just like to say something. Babies are not considered overweight at the age no matter what they weigh. Don't worry ;)

This. I wouldn't worry about weight no matter what until the pedi tells you it's an issue.  It's not possible for an infant to be "overweight". 

Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12

• imageMeagan0528:

imageJimsgirl5821:
    DS is 20 lbs and just turned 4 mos. today. People always go "oh my God, I thought he was 8 months" when I say how old he is. People just like to say something. Babies are not considered overweight at the age no matter what they weigh. Don't worry ;)

This. I wouldn't worry about weight no matter what until the pedi tells you it's an issue.  It's not possible for an infant to be "overweight". 

Seriously! What are you going to do, put your baby on a diet? Don't worry, your LO is fine. Mine weighs almost 18 lbs and he will be 4 months on the 11th. I'm glad he is such a healthy eater!

BabyFruit Ticker

• And they thin out anyway if you are that worried. My son is 20 lbs at 4 months and my daughter was a chunk at this age, too. She was 95th percentile. She is three years old now and she is sooo skinny. I actually worry about her being too skinny now LOL.
  • I would love to have a big baby just once!  All 3 of mine have been peanuts, barely clinging to 10% of the growth chart.  I am constantly wondering if they are eating enough - even now with my 4 and 2.5 year olds.  Just once I would like for one of my kids to grow and be at the 50%!  People are always saying how small mine are - and that they thought they were younger.  Then I feel badly that I am starving them all or something (which I am not!!).  My DS could eat an entire package of Buitoni pasta all by himself - he just has a super fast metabolism.  Anyway, the grass is always greener...
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lol no your baby is perfect! DD is 5 months today and is 20 pounds. babies are supposed to be chunky :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"