Multiples

Working moms and handling unexpected sick days

I posted a long post on Babies 9-12 months. I work part time, have a salaried position and get a PTO bank that renews July 1. PTO time counts as sick, vacation and education time. My PTO bank was depleted due to maternity leave (with the exception of having one week left b/c they missed that my bank should have increased by one week due to an anniversary). I went back to work Nov 1... time doesn't renew until July 1! I have had unnexpected time off recently due to my mom (babysitter) getting sick with the flu, the babies were sick (on 20 days of antibiotics) and then I woke up with my eye swollen shut one day this week (allergic rxn to babies' amoxicillin)!

So, I am now down to 2.5 hours of PTO until July 1. I am HOPING that there are no more illnesses, but with having two 10.5 month olds...I know it can happen. How does your employer handle these situations? The day I needed to leave early due to my back up babysitter not being able to stay the whole day (I worked 5 of 8 hours), I got "charged" 3 hours of PTO. I missed another 3 hours due to the babies having a dermatologist appt that was scheduled 6.5 months prior to the day ( I did request this time off in advance when I realized the appointment fell on a work day) and then I missed one whole day this week due to the eye swelling issue (and I did see my doc immediately, and got an rx for steroids and went back to work the next day).

My sister works in a different setting, but has SO much flexibility with these circumstances. She comes in late on snowy days, leaves early when her kids have doc appointments, conferences or even sometimes practice for sports!

I'm just wondering what is normal!

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, HCG 8/11 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Working moms and handling unexpected sick days

• It's hard with one child...and I've yet to experience it with twins. I also get charged any time I take but I know other people who have flexible schedules. I admit, I do get jealous of them. For a while I worked in a position (at the same company) where the manager didn't necessarily charge me time if it was an hour or 2, but I was always given the impression I had to "make up" the time. That was often more difficult since I was always rushed for time to get home, pick up DD from daycare, etc. The first year of DDs  life I was pretty much always the one who stayed home, took her to dr's appts, left work early when daycare called. Over the years, I have shared that responsibility with DH. If it's at all possible for your partner (DH, SO) to call in or leave work early at times, I think they should. If it had always fallen on me over the past 5 years, I'm sure I would have used up my time and/or been written up at work.

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

• From my previous working mom experience in a number of large companies, it totally varies widely. The further I am from hourly, the more lenient policies usually are. My last job was extremely lenient, but I had no official working hours. It is really hard to play the job juggling game, and one reason we decided I would SAH with the twins, as it is also hard to have a high performance job and do well if you are gone a lot, regardless of their policy.

Bathe the babies in sanitizer not really but still and try to not touch your face and cross your fingers : Good luck!!
    BFP#3: 3/1/11, EDD 11/11/11 - Missed M/C diagnosed 4/7/11 (7w6d), D&C 4/8/11

BFP#4: 7/6/11, EDD 3/15/12 - Missed M/C diagnosed 8/8/11 (8w4d), M/C 8/19

BFP#5: 10/8/11, EDD 6/17/12, U/S on 10/27/11 - fraternal twin boys born 6/3/12

Waiting for my buddy, s0ulchicken, to finish cooking her own twins!
  • image KDR1979:

I posted a long post on Babies 9-12 months. I work part time, have a salaried position and get a PTO bank that renews July 1. PTO time counts as sick, vacation and education time. My PTO bank was depleted due to maternity leave (with the exception of having one week left b/c they missed that my bank should have increased by one week due to an anniversary). I went back to work Nov 1... time doesn't renew until July 1! I have had unnexpected time off recently due to my mom (babysitter) getting sick with the flu, the babies were sick (on 20 days of antibiotics) and then I woke up with my eye swollen shut one day this week (allergic rxn to babies' amoxicillin)!

So, I am now down to 2.5 hours of PTO until July 1. I am HOPING that there are no more illnesses, but with having two 10.5 month olds...I know it can happen. How does your employer handle these situations? The day I needed to leave early due to my back up babysitter not being able to stay the whole day (I worked 5 of 8 hours), I got "charged" 3 hours of PTO. I missed another 3 hours due to the babies having a dermatologist appt that was scheduled 6.5 months prior to the day ( I did request this time off in advance when I realized the appointment fell on a work day) and then I missed one whole day this week due to the eye swelling issue (and I did see my doc immediately, and got an rx for steroids and went back to work the next day).

My sister works in a different setting, but has SO much flexibility with these circumstances. She comes in late on snowy days, leaves early when her kids have doc appointments, conferences or even sometimes practice for sports!

I'm just wondering what is normal!

I'm confused to what your question is.  Are you asking what working moms have for PTO policies or what working moms do when LO's get sick?

In terms of PTO, every company has the right to set the policy and procedures for accrual and when PTO is charged not charged.  I've worked for big and small companies and it varies across the board.  However, I'd say for the most part, if you're out sick a whole day or even half day that would be considered PTO.   If you leave an hour or 2 early then it might not be, if you make up the time.  I.E come in earlier that day or leave later etc.  Regardless of how far in advance a request for time off is made, it is still considered PTO.  From an HR perspective....companies have to have policies like this b/c if one person has more instances of leaving a couple of hours later than the next person, it's not fair to everyone.  People abuse it if there are no set rules.  So, I would say your company is being fair, although it might be less flexible then others.

In terms of how moms juggle working.  Well like PP said, if you have a partner that can help out or family nearby so that you're not soley responsible for stepping in when LO is sick etc., then that helps.  That's what DH & I do. 

• image LottaLattes:
    From my previous working mom experience in a number of large companies, it totally varies widely. The further I am from hourly, the more lenient policies usually are. My last job was extremely lenient, but I had no official working hours. It is really hard to play the job juggling game, and one reason we decided I would SAH with the twins, as it is also hard to have a high performance job and do well if you are gone a lot, regardless of their policy. Bathe the babies in sanitizer not really but still and try to not touch your face and cross your fingers : Good luck!!

Exactly this... my experience has been that I've had a ton of flexibility being FT in a Corporate setting, but I do think that is has more to do with my manager, my performance/track record, and that I work WAY more than 40 hours just due to the nature of my job.  For all of my horrible morning sickness days, as well as MFM and midwife appts I never had to take 'time off' or use my vacation days but technically per FMLA those hours should've counted toward my 12 week total.  I guess it helps that my old manager has a now 13 month old, and my new manager (old one was promoted while I'm on LOA) has a now 20 month old.  

Now, if I were to go back PT and receive PT pay, I personally would be very stingy about working any more hours than is agreed to due to the reduced pay.  That being said, if I missed work I kind of would expect them to treat me the same way.  If I was out of vacation days/hours then I would expect that I would get off but it would be unpaid - FTR if your twins are sick it is covered by FMLA but it would be unpaid, you are limited to 12 weeks though... not sure about your specific situation if you can still rely on/use FMLA.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I work in government so every hour I'm not in the office when I'm supposed to be is charged against my sick leave balance.  I can make the time up at nights and on weekends and my supervisor is very flexible with that.  But, some supervisors don't allow employees to get that kind of comp time and just offset it and when our twins arrive I'm sure it will be very difficult to work at that time.

My sister basically gets so many days off per year and if she uses it because a kid is sick, it counts as a day.  But, she can usually take a couple of hours off without having to take a full day.

These kids of policies vary so much and even vary within the same organization.  Juggling the sick time with three kids is something I can't bear to think about right now.  I had to take so much time with my first, but I was in a job where I was working so much that my boss just let me go and didn't care what I did with my time off.  But, that also meant I was on calls at home with a very sick baby.  It seemed very unprofessional to me, but given the position people had to talk to me -- I didn't necessarily need to talk to them.  In my current job, I wouldn't do that. 

• If you live in the US and are salaried (exempt) you cannot be docked for partial days. Not one hour, not half a day. If you came to work for part of the day it is considered a day worked. You may want to ask HR about that.
  • image growbeangrow:
    If you live in the US and are salaried (exempt) you cannot be docked for partial days. Not one hour, not half a day. If you came to work for part of the day it is considered a day worked. You may want to ask HR about that.

This is what a co-worker said to me. She said that, "She probably shouldn't say anything." But..since she is having similar issues, I think she wanted to let me know. The person who brought this up to me is the person I would consider our "HR" person/billing manager. This is a small medical office. There is an office manager, clinical (MA staff) manager and billing manager.  The practice is physician owned and has less than 50 employees.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, HCG 8/11 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image KDR1979:

image growbeangrow:
    If you live in the US and are salaried (exempt) you cannot be docked for partial days. Not one hour, not half a day. If you came to work for part of the day it is considered a day worked. You may want to ask HR about that.

This is what a co-worker said to me. She said that, "She probably shouldn't say anything." But..since she is having similar issues, I think she wanted to let me know. The person who brought this up to me is the person I would consider our "HR" person/billing manager. This is a small medical office. There is an office manager, clinical (MA staff) manager and billing manager.  The practice is physician owned and has less than 50 employees.

The reasoning is that a salaried person has to work to complete a job. They do not get paid overtime and some days they work longer hours that they are not compensated for. They are not paid by the hour hence you can't be docked by the hour. 

http://www.hrmorning.com/docking-pay-exempt-employees/