October 2012 Moms

Questions about cow's milk intolerance

Hi everyone,

I have written few post when I was pregnant but since baby is here I'm more a lurker :)  

I suspected my baby have a cow's milk intolerance but the only symptoms he have is mucusy stools. and some spit up from time to time. What are the others symptoms you have noticed if your baby is cow's milk intolerant?

thanks 

Re: Questions about cow's milk intolerance

• A friend of mine, her lo is bothered by dairy. She was gassy they thought she was colicky and had a bad diaper rash. Both symptoms cleared up when Mama cut out dairy.
    I know for sure the gas is a big symptom aside from the change in poop like you mentioned. Sometimes, you will also find blood in the stools.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • For me my LO was very fussy and gassy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Green mucousy poop, frequent spitting up, eczema, and then bloody poop. About one week after no dairy the blood stopped. the spit up and eczema has clearest up too. I was very lucky that DS was not fussy through all of this.
    TTC #1 since 05/09
    Me: Oligomenorrhea (workup for PCOS turned out to be negative)
    DH: 1st SA 11/09: good volume but only 20% normal

Cycle #1: Clomid 50mg=No O
    1/10 2nd SA (this time at the fertility clinic): PERFECT!!!
    1/10 My Tests: HSG All clear! B/W is normal!
    2/10 Started Acupuncture

Cycle #2: 100 mg Clomid CD4-CD8 trigger TI Progesterone=BFN
    Cycle #3: 100 mg Clomid CD3-CD7 trigger TI Progesterone=BFP!
    Beta 1=144 Beta 2=359 Beta 3=637

My Scrambled Eggs

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP January 2012! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKraneRN:
    Green mucousy poop, frequent spitting up, eczema, and then bloody poop. About one week after no dairy the blood stopped. the spit up and eczema has clearest up too. I was very lucky that DS was not fussy through all of this.

I second this - DS had green mucousy poops with specks of blood in them. The blood is what caused the pedi to think it was a milk intolerance. He also spit up a lot and has eczema off and on.

IMG_0015

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• My LO had blood and mucous in her stool and it was green . They can also have eczema.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bloody mucus, diarrhea, colic, slight rash on her cheeks, and screaming in pain when she pooped (not crying but screaming)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS doesn't have any poop issues but he has bad reflux. We're trying milk elimination before we go for the meds. It's been a week and a half and he already spits up considerably less. We may also decide to eliminate soy to see if it helps. I'm told it's also a common culprit. If you suspect a milk intolerance, try eliminating it from your diet for 2-3 weeks (it takes that long for the milk proteins to pass through your system) and see if it helps. It's not easy, but worth it.
    imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We actually had sandy poop as well.  Gritty - like he ate gravel.  That was our main alarm.

We also had mucuosy green poop, extreme gassiness - screaming, a never ending diaper rash around his anus.  

We noticed a change after a week - we still have mucus in his stools - but I also only cut out obvious dairy.  He is now extremely happy, smiles at everyone and rarely cries.

We also can get away with a few oz of similac sensitive a day without issues. 

ME: 31 PCOS - DH: 32 Perfect. 
    TTC #1 started 8.2010. 
    BFP #1 3.2.11Blighted ovum, missed m/c, 4.3.11-6.22.11 Provera

BFP #2 Aug 2011 Clomid 50mg+Met missed m/c found 9w5d | cytotec 10.26.11 
    BFP #3 - CD36 - Jan. 2012 - 100mg Clomid + 2000met-  Baby Boy born 10.06.12 with 1 in a billion CHD. Perfect otherwise. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Open Heart Surgery @ 5 months old.Happy, healthy, and as normal as could be!  We thank God every day.EP/BF for 12.5 months

TTC#2 - November 2012

BFP #4:  O'd on CD25 (Aug. 2014).  DD May 6, 2015. RCS planned.
    Beta@14dpo: 184, 17dpo: 520.  44 hr. doubling time.  p4: 54U/S 8 weeks 1 day, 161 bpm
  • sdudesdude member
    Thanks for your answer ;)
  • My LO's symptoms were extreme gas, tummy aches, silent reflux, mucousy stools, green stools, and finally blood in his stools... in that order. 

He was always extremely uncomfortable and gassy, could never settle and had a hard time sleeping. He would also pull of while BFing and cry, like he knew what he was drinking was hurting his tummy.  

We had to remove ALL dairy and soy from my diet, even hidden dairy like casein, whey, etc which is found in prepackaged foods, breads, baked goods, crackers, spices, etc.  It was tough at first but definitely got easier as time went on. 

Here are some links that greatly helped me out when we first started dairy/soy free, hope they can help you too!!:

Common CMA Symptoms: https://bit.ly/sYdNi5 

Link to baby poop and what?s normal depending on what your LO is eating: https://bit.ly/itXZUR

Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"