Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Rice Cereal, Oatmeal or Barley

I am going to start LO on cereal soon and not sure if I should skip the rice cereal and go straight to the Oatmeal or barley.  Pedi said it didn't matter if we did rice or oatmeal first.  She has constipation issued so I am not sure if I should skip rice.  Pedi does not want us starting any fruits and veggies until her 6 month appt.  What are your opinions?  I am not however waiting to start cereal until 6 months.  We will wait another week.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image

Re: Rice Cereal, Oatmeal or Barley

• We just started cereal.  A lot of people don't like cereals because they are lacking in nutritional value.  That is true, but they are a gentle way to introduce solids, and are not harmful. Rice does cause constapation. We do oatmeal (a little each night at dinner) and my LO LOVES his oatmeal....loves it!  I have never tried the barley.  We are using the cereal to introduce solids.  The notion that it helps babies STTN is an old wives tale.  My LO does not sleep any differently with the cereal.

As far as fruits and veggies - you CAN give them stage one as early as 4 months, but a lot of people don't want to start introducing them until 6 months.  Its a matter of personal preference, and you and your pedi determining if your child is ready or not.  I don't think it hurts them to have it before 6 months, nor is there anything wrong with waiting.  You do what is best for your child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started DS with oatmeal. I read about the arsenic levels in rice (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/arsenic-rice-report-finds-worrisome-levels/story?id=17267872) and decided to skip rice cereal. It may not be a big deal, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I started LO on rice and gave it up when she started having increased constipation issues - I have since given her both barley and oatmeal and she likes them all!   The texture of the oatmeal is slightly more coarse than the barley but still more than fine for a beginner. 

I started her on the cereal on the day of her 5 months and  added fruits and veggies a week later.   A month later and she's loved everything so far!

• agree! levels may not be high but i dont care. also, it has a strange consistancy so barley and oatmeal are our choice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards