TTC After a Loss
Options

Cat pee (NTTCALR)

We have 2 male cats and one of them keeps urinating outside of the litter box. We've tried so many things that I've read online to solve this issue and nothing is working.

-We have 2 litter boxes so they can each have their own.

-We moved the food and water away from his box (so he doesn't avoid peeing where he eats).

-We keep the litter box clean.

-He pees in the same area (at least I hope) every time. It's a low pile carpeted area around the corner from his litter box. I spent about 2 hours last weekend deep cleaning it with a pet formula to get rid of the urine smell.

-I put down foil in the area he uses to keep him off of it, but he just pees on top of the foil. I guess that's good, so at least it doesn't get into the carpet.

-I talked to the vet and it's not a UTI. She thinks it might be stress-related and our next step would be kitty Prozac.

Any suggestions for what has worked for you?

Multiple TTCAL 1image
 TTC #1 since March 2011 
BFP #1: EDD 4/16/13~~blighted ovum w/ 2 gestational sacs~~Loss on 9/18/12
BFP #2: EDD 9/3/13~~Slow HB at 1st U/S~~MMC -Loss on 2/13/13
9/13, 10/13, 1/14: letrozole + trigger + TI = All BFNs
3/14: IUI#1 letrozole/Bravelle/Menopur + trigger = BFN
BFP #3: EDD 1/27/15 Please be our rainbow! ...Team Green

Re: Cat pee (NTTCALR)

• Options
    Ugh, that sounds like no fun! I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with him. I have absolutely zero experience with cats, but my first thought was have you tried moving the litter box to his "preferred pee area"? Perhaps if it was there he would use it? And then you could try gradually moving it to where you'd like it once he's used to going there?

July TTCAL Siggy Challenge - Favorite Children's Book
    Donkey-Donkey - Roger Duvoisin  1968  Vintage Childrens Book
    Surprise BFP 5/15/12, EDD 1/29/13, mm/c @ 8wks, discovered at 11wks, D&C 7/11/12
    AF finally arrived on Christmas after 167 days of waiting.
    TTA until January 2014
    Follow Me on Pinterestimageimage
    PGAL/PAL always welcome

• Options

imageLLPtobe:
    Ugh, that sounds like no fun! I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with him. I have absolutely zero experience with cats, but my first thought was have you tried moving the litter box to his "preferred pee area"? Perhaps if it was there he would use it? And then you could try gradually moving it to where you'd like it once he's used to going there?

That sounds like a great idea! 

::Running off to move litter box::

Multiple TTCAL 1image
     TTC #1 since March 2011 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you tried Feliway?  It's a plug-in that is supposed to calm cats' nerves.   

I used to have a female cat who would pee outside of the litter box, and nothing I tried worked.  She died of old age a few years ago (before I heard about Feliway, so I don't know how well it works).   

imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We have 2 female cats and after we moved into the new house, they both started peeing on one of the new couches. We still have no clue why (maybe stress of a new environment?) but now we keep them both in the basement. I feel kinda bad about it, but every time we let them up they go to that couch and pee. And it's a nice couch. :-/

Kitty prozac sounds like it's worth a try! Can I have some too? lol

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options

Have you tried different litters?? We have a female cat who used to do this. She still refuses to poop sometimes in the litter box, but does it right next to it and its linoleum at least. 

Its hard though because you don't want to "punish" them when they do it wrong because then they're scared to use the box at all. Have you made sure that the other cat is not in there while the first is? Sometimes if something bad happened in there, the cat correlates that memory with the box. 

• Options

This was a frustrating problem I had with my female cat. I tried all the tips mentioned, and could not get her to stop peeing along the baseboards in my new house. The vet said it was completely behavioral. I ended up using the kitty prozac, Amitriptyline. I would rub a little on her ear each night to chill her out. Her ear always seemed crusty, but it seemed to work.

The vet said she was having separation anxiety (I used to travel a ton). She was really good for a while (off the drug for 5 years), until recently she was waking me up way before my alarm, so I had DH put her in an upstairs room for a couple of hours. Well, the little brat pissed on the carpet several times before I realized it. There cannot be a closed door between her and I or she'll have a meltdown.

Another thing the vet said is that cat's can become fickle about how clean the box is. The plastic tray and the entire area. Woolite is a great product for spot cleaning carpet. Even when I covered the area, she also peed over it. Is there a window near the pee spot? He may be marking his territory for some reason. I kept the shades down during the day.

Good luck!

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• Options
    Hello I'm a vet technician. Sounds like anxiety or stress if not UTi. Very common in cats.
    First get a 3 rd litter box rule of thumb 1 box per cat plus one. Good you moved cat food away from boxes.

Cats can get very stressed if there is stress in the house or even if you move things around.

You can try kitty prosac it may take a little while to have an affect. Also try Feliway. It is a plug in that you plug into the outlit. Helps with anxiety. It is a kitty pheromone.

Please feel free to message me if any other questions I will be happy to help you. Might distract me a bit.
    Heather

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    imageBootsOrHearts:
    We have 2 femalenbsp;cats and after we moved into the new house, they both started peeing on one of the new couches. We still have no clue why maybe stress of anbsp;newnbsp;environment?nbsp;but now we keep them both in the basement. I feel kinda bad about it, but every time we let them up they go to that couch and pee. And it's a nice couch. :/Kitty prozac sounds like it's worth a try! Can I have some too? lol

Hope you don't mind me suggesting. I'm a vet tech. Yes most likely your kitties are doig it from stress. Should have a urine tested to make sure no infection. Cats can get stressed very easily and moving can be a huge stresser.
    Try feliway plug in also having them downstairs is ok I had mine in the laundry room for a little while until they got used to being in the new house the slowly introduced them to the rest they always get to go back to the laundry room if they need too.
    My cat would pee blood every few months very anxiety ridden cat. She has Flutd feline lower urinary tract disease. Vet can diagnose this. I have the feliway plug in special food and now now issues.
    Some cats it is all behavioral and any change can stress them out. If no infection then sometimes meds are good to help get them through it.

Feel free to ask me any questions hope you don't mind my input.
    Sorry if mistakes I am so sick and so drugged up.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(

• Options

Everyone's suggestions are great! We'll start working on making more changes.

He does use the litter box a lot of the time, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the litter itself. I know it's better to keep our cats indoors, we're trying to encourage him to go outside a lot so he can have space away from our other cat.

I've tried the sprays, but maybe a plug in will be better. Also, I've started giving him the special treats that are supposed to calm anxiety.

Multiple TTCAL 1image
     TTC #1 since March 2011 

• Options
    imageluciddreamer106:

Everyone's suggestions are great! We'll start working on making more changes.

He does use the litter box a lot of the time, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the litter itself. I know it's better to keep our cats indoors, we're trying to encourage him to go outside a lot so he can have space away from our other cat.

I've tried the sprays, but maybe a plug in will be better. Also, I've started giving him the special treats that are supposed to calm anxiety.

It is better to keep them in they are healthier and less chance of getting hit by car.  If you have been letting them out that could be a stresser too, if there are other cats around that are in their area.  

Make sure to not change litters often always use the same one, if you have littler boxes that are covered make sure to take one off and leave one covered.  

Sometimes if a cat got scared say loud thunder or noise when he was in the box, the next time he might be afraid to use the box due to thinking the noise will come back.

Cats are very unique animals the littlest things can stress them out.  I would not hold faith with any of the sprays out there except Feliway.  Some companies like to promote things but they really do not work. Same with foods ect.

Keep us posted and let me know if you need any other help.  Make sure however you have had them tested for urinary issues from the vet.  I cant remember if yo did or not, sorry so sick, and on Nyquil!!! lol 

• Options
    Frustrating! We just have a dog though, so I have no suggestions. sorry!
    BFP @ 1/26/13 - Natural M/C @ 2/16/13 
    All AL welcome!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"