July 2013 Moms

UO

Let's hear them.

J13 August siggy challenge: Best thing about back to school is Autumn!
photo septembertumblr_mto1_500_zpsc17df302.gif
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Follow Me on Pinterest

Formerly meimsx

Re: UO

• We're boring lately. It must be a first tri thing because the O13 board is fascinating sometimes and we are LAME.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Formerly meimsx
  • image meimsx:
    We're boring lately. It must be a first tri thing because the O13 board is fascinating sometimes and we are LAME.

haha I think our hormones are settling down :P 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My UO (I think it's unpopular): Pregnancy hasn't been as much fun as all my friends and family made it sound. 

BFP # 1 11/2011, MC 12/2011 
    BFP #2 11/2012, Delivered at 21 weeks on 3/16/13 due to complications with bilateral renal agenesis. 
    ~~Missing Astrid Lynne~~
    BFP#3: 09/2013, EDD 5/14/14

Lilypie - (9zLl)
  • image JennyLynne:
    My UO I think it's unpopular: Pregnancy hasn't been as much fun as all my friends and family made it sound.nbsp;nbsp;

Wait, who told you this was fun? They lied.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Formerly meimsx
  • My UO: I'm sad that the gender checkin post didn't stick. Also, suck it up if you couldn't find out the sex. If it's that important, just pay for another ultrasound instead of complaining.
    J13 July Signature Challenge:
    Favorite Dog Gif

image image image image
  • image LadyBlue07:
    My UO: I'm sad that the gender checkin post didn't stick. Also, suck it up if you couldn't find out the sex. If it's that important, just pay for another ultrasound instead of complaining.

This should not be unpopular.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Formerly meimsx
  • image meimsx:
    image LadyBlue07:
    My UO: I'm sad that the gender checkin post didn't stick. Also, suck it up if you couldn't find out the sex. If it's that important, just pay for another ultrasound instead of complaining.

After the craziness in 2nd tri yesterday, I've decided I can't predict what some people on here will think. Am I crazy or are they?? :p
    J13 July Signature Challenge:
    Favorite Dog Gif

image image image image
  • image meimsx:
    image JennyLynne:
    My UO I think it's unpopular: Pregnancy hasn't been as much fun as all my friends and family made it sound.nbsp;nbsp;

Right? I think I need new friends. 

BFP #2 11/2012, Delivered at 21 weeks on 3/16/13 due to complications with bilateral renal agenesis. 
    ~~Missing Astrid Lynne~~

Lilypie - (9zLl)
  • image meimsx:
    image JennyLynne:

Not unpopular. Wasn't there a post last week where a gazillion people said they hated pregnancy? Personally, I love it. I even loved it in first tri, when I'd lay beaming on the sofa in between bathroom visits.

I don't really care that the sex (not gender, I know) topics are still all over the place, but I wish everyone would give their topics a clear title. No 'suprise' or 'who would have thought' or 'guess what' or 'question', tell me what it is about so I know if clicking is worthwhile or not.

• image meimsx:
    image JennyLynne:

Yeah seriously! I am not really loving it either! Wouldn't trade it for anything, but yeah... no fun!

• My UO: I really don't care for presidential names. I guess I'm used to Madison now, although that took a while, but Reagan, Kennedy, and all the rest... What's with these people? 

I'd worry about my kid leaning to the other end of the political spectrum. What if you name your girl Reagan and she ends up being a fierce democrat? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but politics should stay out of first names, IMHO. And if you really want to honor a political idol, go with their first name, way less obvious.

• image LadyBlue07:
    image meimsx:
    image LadyBlue07:

After the craziness in 2nd tri yesterday, I've decided I can't predict what some people on here will think. Am I crazy or are they?? :p

I must have missed that post.

I have another. A T and P request here is not about anyone other than the OP. So don't share your own personal horror story that might be sorta similar unless they ask for experiences. It's not about you. It makes you look tacky and selfish and very attention whorey.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Formerly meimsx
  • image LadyBlue07:

Yeah the gender check-ins and the movement posts seem to be the bulk of the board lately. As far as disappointment about not finding out the sex, it didn't really ever occur to me that could happen (I'm that much of a pregnancy-dunce), but I agree. Just go get an elective at that point. 

~~Missing Astrid Lynne~~

Lilypie - (9zLl)
  • image Elinetrouwt:

My UO: I really don't care for presidential names. I guess I'm used to Madison now, although that took a while, but Reagan, Kennedy, and all the rest... What's with these people? 

I'd worry about my kid leaning to the other end of the political spectrum. What if you name your girl Reagan and she ends up being a fierce democrat? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but politics should stay out of first names, IMHO. And if you really want to honor a political idol, go with their first name, way less obvious.

Haha Reagan is on our "list" for a boy and I didn't really associate it with politics. I just liked it. 

No UO so far today.  

• image meimsx:
    image LadyBlue07:
    image meimsx:
    image LadyBlue07:
    I must have missed that post. I have another. A T and P request here is not about anyone other than the OP. So don't share your own personal horror story that might be sorta similar unless they ask for experiences. It's not about you. It makes you look tacky and selfish and very attention whorey.

Fair enough.  I think I'm guilty of this from time to time, maybe not, I think I usually just give T&P.  But I do put my experiances out there in other types of posts I know, mainly so the OP knows they aren't alone.

my UO I actually liked being pregnant with DD... But not this little man, I'm far more uncomfortable, and just blah... but, I still wouldn't trade it.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My UO is that I miss the drama of our board.  It has gotten so boring lately!  I used to get excited to read all the snark and drama going on.  What's the deal ladies?  Don't make me go to 2nd tri and wade through a bunch of stupid/lame posts to find it....please....

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    TTC #1 Since April 2011
    BFP #1: 5/12/11, EDD 1/13/12, missed M/C confirmed 6/15/11. We miss you Elijah.

LAP/hysteroscopy 8/28/12 to remove uterine septum and stage 3 endo
    10/2/12 Medicated Cycle #1: Femara + Ovidrel + TI = BFP!!!
    BFP#2: 10/25/12, EDD 7/9/13, Born 7/18/13! It's a girl!
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. -Romans 8:28
    Patiently waiting for my buddy jenn0021 to join me on PGAL
    My blog
  • People who complain about not being treated "fairly" for getting pregnant at work. Look, pregnancy is a big deal that takes time + effort and that's taken away from your job. If you want 20w of maternity leave, but then get upset when life moves on while you're gone, you should be rational enough to understand that 1) the world actually doesn't revolve around you 2) business moves on with/without you 3) you made a lifestyle decision, but your business didn't, so don't expect them to hold up for you. It's not practical, rational, or even remotely smart to think for a second that just because you want to have a kid or 4, that somehow your company should put you on a pedestal and wait on you while you have a baby. It's not fair to the other employees- you made a decision, a private decision, and that's not my business to have to deal with.

Look, I'm all about wanting to have a ton of maternity leave, but I shouldn't expect to be paid for such an absence and I shouldn't expect for the job to be on "pause" while I'm gone. How is that fair to customers? To clients? To students? To those who need social services?  

• image meimsx:
    I must have missed that post. I have another. A T and P request here is not about anyone other than the OP. So don't share your own personal horror story that might be sorta similar unless they ask for experiences. It's not about you. It makes you look tacky and selfish and very attention whorey.

I disagree. Not everyone would react the same as me, but when I posted for T&P after an upsetting A/S result, I really appreciated hearing others experiences with it. I found it really encouraging!

• image meimsx:
    We're boring lately. It must be a first tri thing because the O13 board is fascinating sometimes and we are LAME.

I hope my UO alleviates this situation for you. I know it's a sore spot for a few, so hopefully you can enjoy the fireworks.

Ha. July13 pun. ha.  

• image arlingirl:
    image Elinetrouwt:

My UO: I really don't care for presidential names. I guess I'm used to Madison now, although that took a while, but Reagan, Kennedy, and all the rest... What's with these people? 

Haha Reagan is on our "list" for a boy and I didn't really associate it with politics. I just liked it.

Sorry!!! ;)

• My UO is that I hate when people say that they shared their name with friends and family and they hated it, other posters chime in saying "that's why I would never tell people before the child is born."

A) It is already done, so why say anything at that point. B) If people are going to be rude enough to say it before the baby is born, they'll probably be rude enough to say it after. I've seen it happen. Or, they'll just talk about it behind your back. I would rather know that people didn't care for it, then think they love it but secretly they hate it. C) I'm excited that my baby has a name. It is not a common name, and my MIL hates it, but it is still my child's name, and I am excited for people to put a name to the baby growing inside of me.

It just seems so smug when people say, "well that's why you don't share the name until the baby is here." FWIW, I would never complain that my MIL hates the name, because it was H's great grandfather's name and she hated his name. We knew she hated it. We are prepared for other's to think it is strange. It is what it is.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • image oh_maria:

Look, I'm all about wanting to have a ton of maternity leave, but I shouldn't expect to be paid for such an absence and I shouldn't expect for the job to be on "pause" while I'm gone. How is that fair to customers? To clients? To students? To those who need social services?  

Yeah, I don't agree.

I live in Belgium, and every working mother has a right to 15 weeks maternity leave. This is paid for out of 'social insurance' - every employee pays a monthly fee out of their paycheck, but receives payment if he or she would get fired, sick or pregnant.

So while I'm off work, I get paid, while my employer doesn't have to pay for it. They will hire a replacement, who'll have a temporary job. Everybody happy, I don't see how that's not fair?

The thing is, making a baby is a private decision, but one that very, very many people make. Most of the empoyees will at some point be pregnant, or want their wife/girlfriend to be able to take good care of herself and the newborn. As a society, we tend to find it important that women get equal opportunities in the workplace, and maternity leave is one of those things that keep women from dropping out. At the same time, we find it important that babies are taken good care of. So yes, while finding a good replacement can  be somewhat of a burden, in the end everyone is happy. I really don't see what's not fair about that.

• Obviously, I'm not saying that the above system is superior, I just don't see why it would be 'unfair'.
  • image oh_maria:

People who complain about not being treated "fairly" for getting pregnant at work. Look, pregnancy is a big deal that takes time + effort and that's taken away from your job. If you want 20w of maternity leave, but then get upset when life moves on while you're gone, you should be rational enough to understand that 1) the world actually doesn't revolve around you 2) business moves on with/without you 3) you made a lifestyle decision, but your business didn't, so don't expect them to hold up for you. It's not practical, rational, or even remotely smart to think for a second that just because you want to have a kid or 4, that somehow your company should put you on a pedestal and wait on you while you have a baby. It's not fair to the other employees- you made a decision, a private decision, and that's not my business to have to deal with.

This honestly shouldn't be unpopular. I cannot believe the amount of people who expect to be paid when they are out of time/leave/etc. It is ridiculous.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• image MrsErinH:

My UO is that I miss the drama of our board.  It has gotten so boring lately!  I used to get excited to read all the snark and drama going on.  What's the deal ladies?  Don't make me go to 2nd tri and wade through a bunch of stupid/lame posts to find it....please....

YUP. 

My UO - My DH feels weird having sex with me while I'm pregnant and even though I love having sex (and I do mean, I loooove having sex), I actually don't miss it and have no desire for it right now! It's kind of the first time that I don't feel like I NEED to have sex and it's kind of a relief. 

Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
    BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image Elinetrouwt:
    image oh_maria:

Yeah, I don't agree.

I live in Belgium, and every working mother has a right to 15 weeks maternity leave. This is paid for out of 'social insurance' - every employee pays a monthly fee out of their paycheck, but receives payment if he or she would get fired, sick or pregnant.

So while I'm off work, I get paid, while my employer doesn't have to pay for it. They will hire a replacement, who'll have a temporary job. Everybody happy, I don't see how that's not fair?

The thing is, making a baby is a private decision, but one that very, very many people make. Most of the empoyees will at some point be pregnant, or want their wife/girlfriend to be able to take good care of herself and the newborn. As a society, we tend to find it important that women get equal opportunities in the workplace, and maternity leave is one of those things that keep women from dropping out. At the same time, we find it important that babies are taken good care of. So yes, while finding a good replacement can  be somewhat of a burden, in the end everyone is happy. I really don't see what's not fair about that.

I'm on team Belgium! Should we take this a step further and turn it into a battle of the sexes? I bet if men were the ones having babies in the states, they would get paid leave! ; )

The US is actually super behind on their maternity leave policy--see link I posted in the Short Term Disability vent:

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/137062676/time-with-a-newborn-maternity-leave-policies-around-the-world

~~Missing Astrid Lynne~~

Lilypie - (9zLl)
  • image Elinetrouwt:
    Obviously, I'm not saying that the above system is superior, I just don't see why it would be 'unfair'.

You're paying into it.  In the US this is just "given" time.  Some companies can afford to give paid leave, some cannot.  It is unfair to expect your company to pay for more than they are willing or able to pay. 

If we paid into it, then yeah sure, but I like my money to be in my pocket, so I can decide how to use it, I don't want the gov't taking anymore of my money, they take enough.  I chose a job where they have good leave policy but if I didn't then I'd have to save up and pay for my time off. 

• image aehamilton13:

image meimsx:

I must have missed that post.

I have another. A T and P request here is not about anyone other than the OP. So don't share your own personal horror story that might be sorta similar unless they ask for experiences. It's not about you. It makes you look tacky and selfish and very attention whorey.

I disagree. Not everyone would react the same as me, but when I posted for T&P after an upsetting A/S result, I really appreciated hearing others experiences with it. I found it really encouraging!

I may not be remembering your particular situation but I believe you asked others for their experiences. I did clarify that if the OP does that then I have no issue with it. But if the OP isn't asking for that type of reassurance then don't make it about you.
    Maybe it's a small difference but it's an important one in my opinion.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Formerly meimsx
  • I am mobile so i cant look it up at the moment, but i believe you also pay much more of your money so you can have a fund like that.  this is probably my UO: Most people who complain about the leave policies would also complain about paying more of their check into such a program.  i have seen it on TB over the years as well as IRL - women here want leave like other countries have, but they dont want to pay into it like most countries do.  
    image Elinetrouwt:
    image oh_maria:

Yeah, I don't agree.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image JennyLynne:

I'm on team Belgium! Should we take this a step further and turn it into a battle of the sexes? I bet if men were the ones having babies in the states, they would get paid leave! ; )

The US is actually super behind on their maternity leave policy--see link I posted in the Short Term Disability vent:

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/137062676/time-with-a-newborn-maternity-leave-policies-around-the-world

And this study provides very convincing numbers about why paid maternity leave is important:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-06/features/ct-biz-0507-work-advice-huppke-20120506_1_national-partnership-women-families-women-and-work

J13 Siggy Challenge - The Lannisters raise my blood pressure!
                                                                                                  Image and video hosting by TinyPic