Pre-School and Daycare

Frequent urination in a 4 year old

My son goes through these cycles of VERY frequent urination.  He is currently going to the bathroom 30-40 times a day.  Each time, he goes very little, if at all.  No accidents, no bed wetting.   

He went though the same thing a few months ago (lasting 6 weeks) and then it resolved on its own.

Each time it rears its ugly head, we get a urinalysis just to rule out any infection and it has always been fine.  

Anyone else go through this?

Re: Frequent urination in a 4 year old

• Oh my gosh, yes.  We've been through this three times now with my DD.  Google "pollakiuria" and see if it fits with his symptoms.  The first time this happened to my DD she was 3.5 years old and it started the day before DD#2 was born.  She would need to go every five minutes at times.  It made it extremely difficult to leave the house.  It resolved on its own and has reoccurred twice since then.  During the most recent episode the frequency wasn't as bad, but it lasted for a longer period of time.  I'm fairly certain it is related to anxiety for my DD.  She is kind of an anxious kid and that's how her anxiety manifests itself physically.  She has had urinalysis done and never has had infections.  Does your son seem to be anxious or stressed about anything?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As long as you have checked for an infection and ruled out diabetes then I would assume he is not letting it all out and then needs to go again which is common. I would try to get him to pee more when he goes so that this does not happen as much and will lessen the chance of him getting a UTI from holding it in.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • imagezoe_cat:
    Oh my gosh, yes.  We've been through this three times now with my DD.  Google "pollakiuria" and see if it fits with his symptoms.  The first time this happened to my DD she was 3.5 years old and it started the day before DD#2 was born.  She would need to go every five minutes at times.  It made it extremely difficult to leave the house.  It resolved on its own and has reoccurred twice since then.  During the most recent episode the frequency wasn't as bad, but it lasted for a longer period of time.  I'm fairly certain it is related to anxiety for my DD.  She is kind of an anxious kid and that's how her anxiety manifests itself physically.  She has had urinalysis done and never has had infections.  Does your son seem to be anxious or stressed about anything?

This.  I think it's also referred to as 'Daytime Frequency of Urination". My DD went through this when she was 4-5ish.  It is frustrating for everyone!  It took us a few months to work through, very slowly.  It reoccurred a couple of times, but not as severely.  She's almost 9 now & I can't remember the last time it happened. 

• This happened to my daughter a few months ago. We even went to a urologist, who said it was a muscle contraction and gave us a prescription drug to take. I didn't give her the drug, and it went away on its own within a week or so.

I read that in girls it could be caused by not wiping when they pee, so now we are super careful about that. I'm not sure if that could be the case for boys though.

I also give her a probiotic every day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son went through this when he was 4/5.  I also called the doc and got an urinalysis--nothing.  It lasted a month or so, then left.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"