Stay at Home Moms

Pap-smears hate?

Trust me, it's not something that I enjoy going for, but I don't hate it so much that I refuse to go. My best friend hasn't went in 10 years because she hates it so much, and another poster commented yesterday that she'd rather be stung by 1,000 bees than to go.

To be perfectly honest, I think I might rather go there than the dentist... is that bad?  

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11

Re: Pap-smears hate?

• I don't get all the dramatic hate either - I mean, it is uncomfortable but it lasts about 5 seconds!  There are plenty of worse things
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I agree with you both. The dentist is way worse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image eaglesfan700:
    I don't get all the dramatic hate either - I mean, it is uncomfortable but it lasts about 5 seconds!  There are plenty of worse things

I agree with this. It's so quick and I don't even find it all that painful. I've never given it much thought.

Our family blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, I don't think a pap smear is a big deal.  Uncomfortable for a couple seconds then done!

The dentist sucks!  Everytime I get my teeth cleaned my mouth hurts the rest of the day!

• I just don't get that bothered by that stuff...pap smear, cervical exam, GBS swab, etc.  No, it's not pleasant, but it lasts like 2 seconds.  Heck, I had a colonoscopy and it was seriously NBD,  In fact, the anesthesia was brilliant, i wish I could get some for home use.  Best sleep I ever had.
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• Lord. Tell her to go. Paps are really important. I sound like a PSA. There is nothing to it!
    Mom to Big Sister (2008) , and boy/girl twins (2010) Life is busy!
  • The one I'm not sure about is mammograms.  Some people say they hurt really badly, but people seem to be wimpy in general.
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• I agree they aren't really a big deal at all. Sure, I wouldn't say it's pleasant, but whatev. I only have to get them every 2 or 3 years now, so it's even less of a big deal. Plus, I love my midwives so I look forward to my annuals in a weird way. 

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014
  • I'll have to actually agree with the friend that doesn't go.  I get mine every 2-3 years (which is the recommendation here now), but hate every second of it.

I find them very very painful - during and for several hours after.  I always have spotting for a few hours afterwards as well.

I'd definitely much rather go to the dentist and have a tooth pulled than get a pap smear.  Despite that, I still go.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd just guess she had a crummy OB.  I've definitely had pap smears that were outright painful and made me bleed. I can see how if that's your only experience with it and you're healthy and not pregnant, that you might just avoid going all together.  I've had other OBs where they were just mildly uncomfortable.  My new OB just gave me one last week and it was the first time in my life where I wasn't even uncomfortable.  I barely even knew he was doing anything.  So either he's really, really good or my kid turned my vag into a giant gaping cave and my DH is just too nice to tell me....

I think people who hate the dentist need new dentists too.  Nothing should hurt at the dentist but the novocaine shot.  And I've had a lot of dental work done. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't see the big deal. It's not fun, but it only lasts a few seconds.Mammograms are worse. I had one done when I was 20. Someone smashing your boob in between two plates doesn't feel nice. Still the alternative is much worse. I'd rather go and deal with uncomfortable.
  • Obviously they aren't my favorite thing but they only last a few seconds.  I can't imagine not going.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

11/2010- Diagnosed with PCOS
    BFP #1 10/10/2011 EDD 6/19/2012;Natural M/C 10/31/2011 @ 8wks
    BFP #2 5/10/2012 EDD 1/14/2013: Baby Girl born 1/12/2013
  • image eaglesfan700:
    I don't get all the dramatic hate either I mean, it is uncomfortable but it lasts about 5 seconds! nbsp;There are plenty of worse things

Agreed.
  • Yeah, I talked my mother into getting a pap several years ago (during a failed attempt to salvage our relationship) after she waited 10 years in between.....and they found pre-cancerous cervical cells. So yeah, it's uncomfortable and unpleasant but they do it for a very good reason. Your friend needs to make an appt ASAP.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Well, the dentist doesn't bother me at all; I went Monday, actually.  But I don't care for PAPs one bit.  I've been through several doctors and NPs, and there is definitely a difference between them.  My first doc was pretty rough, but my current OB has a very gentle touch and a contraption that warms the speculum, which makes the experience decidedly less unpleasant.  My guess is people who are that upset about them should try another doc.
    Preemie Resources: http://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/

DD1: BFP July 2010...HG in first tri, MC delivered vaginally at 18 weeks October 2010

DS: BFP December 2011...SCH at 5 weeks, SBR at 7 weeks, Placental Abruption at 13 weeks, Hospitalized at 25 weeks, pPROM at 28 weeks, PTL via CS at 31 weeks 

DD2: BFP January 2013...P17 shots, delivered via VBAC at 39 weeks
  •  hate hate hate it. I actually had a little panic attack when H and I found out we got pregnant. I freaked out about the upcoming appointments we / I had to go to. when we get to the Ob/ gyn now H reassures me its ok every time. Its very stressful for me.
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • image alexandra1818:

I find them very very painful - during and for several hours after.  I always have spotting for a few hours afterwards as well.

That shouldn't really happen. It happened during my first one and my DR. used a different speculum. Tell your DR. to use the smallest one they have, they should have more than one. Different women need different things. (just like when you get blood drawn, some women need smaller butterfly needles).  I bet it won't be painful after that.   

• image Emmakins87:
    nbsp;hate hate hate it. I actually had a little panic attack when H and I found out we got pregnant. I freaked out about the upcoming appointments we / I had to go to. when we get to the Ob/ gyn now H reassures me its ok every time. Its very stressful for me.

You need a new doct. Stat. I can't fathom hating the doc so much that it causes me to stress. Seriously, find someone new.

• They don't bother me, but I can see how it might bother someone who had a bad experience or has something deeper they're dealing with (abuse or something similar).  Still, your friend that hasn't had one in 10 years needs to go and get checked.
  • Yeah, I don't mind them. I'd definitely rather get one than go to the dentist, Hav. Plus, my midwives do it for me now which is a total bonus because I totally trust them. And for me it's painless. *shrug*

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I found them incredibly painful before I had sex. Even when the doctor used the smallest speculum they had, the PAP would bring me to tears. However, even so, I didn't skip them. 

Now I barely notice them. 

• image eaglesfan700:
    I don't get all the dramatic hate either - I mean, it is uncomfortable but it lasts about 5 seconds!  There are plenty of worse things

Exactly. Which I found out when I went through fertility treatments. A pap is nothing! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I mean, who actually enjoys a pap?  Nobody, that's who.  But isn't that part of being an adult?  Doing things you have to because you have to, not because you want to?  I really hate doing the dishes.  Guess I should just avoid them for 10 years and see if cancer develops :shrug:

Also, I feel like with something like this, the longer you avoid it the worse it seems.

I'd totally rather go to the dentist than get a pap smear.  First, I get to leave my pants on at the dentist, always a good thing in my book.  And second, I leave with clean teeth.  Win-win.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I have had many more painful/uncomfortable things done- try an endometrial biopsy- or HSG.  The Pap is a walk in the park.
    After 5 years of hopes, dreams, and Dr. visits; IVF brought us our family

• image Kimbus22:

I'd just guess she had a crummy OB.  I've definitely had pap smears that were outright painful and made me bleed. I can see how if that's your only experience with it and you're healthy and not pregnant, that you might just avoid going all together.  I've had other OBs where they were just mildly uncomfortable.  My new OB just gave me one last week and it was the first time in my life where I wasn't even uncomfortable.  I barely even knew he was doing anything.  So either he's really, really good or my kid turned my vag into a giant gaping cave and my DH is just too nice to tell me....

I think people who hate the dentist need new dentists too.  Nothing should hurt at the dentist but the novocaine shot.  And I've had a lot of dental work done. 

I agree with all of this. I think I've lucked out with OB/GYNs because while I've liked some better than others personality-wise, I've never found any to be too rough or anything like that. Ditto on the dentist. I had a great one back home and when I moved I went to one recommended by a friend but wasn't happy with them. I actually asked my dentist back home for a rec in this area and he gave me one and I'm much happier there.

My mom has a lot of anxiety about going to the dentist stemming from experiences when she was younger. I think if she'd had her current dentist all along she wouldn't have the nerves she does about going. When I took DS to the pediatric dentist for the first time I told myself if he wasn't absolutely wonderful that I was going to find another one because I don't want it to be a scary experience for my kids. 

• image chickaboo1974:
    I have had many more painful/uncomfortable things done- try an endometrial biopsy- or HSG.  The Pap is a walk in the park.
    Yep. I would rather have a pap than suffer the indignities that pregnant women are subjected to. If I never again have a transvaginal u/s that would be awesome.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I had anxiety about them when I was young, like teenager, early 20s. But honestly? It's once a year and lasts 5 seconds.. No big deal. Especially after being pregnant and pushing a child out haha!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

• image DC2London:
    The one I'm not sure about is mammograms. nbsp;Some people say they hurt really badly, but people seem to be wimpy in general.

I have a strong family history and have all ready had 2. I was so nervous because I heard the same things as you... It doesn't hurt AT ALL!!! Pap is way worse and honestly, those aren't that bad haha

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

• image barnwife:
    I found them incredibly painful before I had sex. Even when the doctor used the smallest speculum they had, the PAP would bring me to tears. However, even so, I didn't skip them. 

Now I barely notice them. 

yep...and after 3 years of dealing with IF and all the fun tests and transvag cam 8 times a month and whatnot...now it's REALLY nbd :0P

Married DH 2/2007 --TTC since 7/2008
    2 early miscarriages, 7 IUIs with 1 c/p
    unexplained IF, IVF #1=
    Jeshua and Becca (7/15/11)-The loves of our lives!!!!
    "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him." 1 Samuel 1:27

• I just went yesterday and I'd more willing go there than the dentist ANY day!  My gyn is awesome and its really not a big deal to me at all anymore. 
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder