Stay at Home Moms

TV/Music on during your day?

Those of you with babies, do you leave the TV on during the day?  My LO is 7 weeks so she's not watching TV or anything like that.  Music?  I just feel like the house is too quiet without having something on.  As she gets older I know I can't have the TV on all the time so I'm trying to turn the TV off in the afternoons but I was just curious...do you keep the TV on or the radio?  Or do you not have anything on and have the house quiet?  I guess it doesn't really matter right now but I was wondering what others do.  TIA!
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FET January 2014 - Loss at 9w5d

Re: TV/Music on during your day?

• I kept the TV on until DS became "aware" of it at about 4 months.
  • DD is one year and I usually have some type of music playing after breakfast until DS gets home from school. The local classical station or the Toddler station on Pandora are our favorites. It depends if we're playing or if I'm trying to get her to wind down a little.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have music on almost constantly, I love it. TV is only on for 30mins in the morning for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. When DH is home the tv is on non-stop and it drives me nuts so I enjoy just listening to music throughout the day. DS dances when certain songs come on :)

DS born 3.12

DD due  7.14

• Meh, I keep it on most of the day. Sometimes on music, sometimes on crappy reruns and sometimes on Sprout. Lots say that it will rot her brain, but honestly I am not really worried about it. 

Also, it's not on loud or anything, just in the background. 

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11
  • We have the TV on all day. It's either on their channel while we're playing around or I have it on CNN when they're napping or doing something else. The only time they sit and watch a show is before nap time and before bed. Every time else it's on for background noise as we're doing this and that. They may stop and watch then carry on playing. I think it would be way too quiet for my taste if we didn't have it on. Sometimes I'll turn the radio on in the kitchen if it gets too quiet. I need background noise...LOL. 

Our family blog

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, when DD was 7 weeks all I did was watch TV. It was on all the time. There's no issue with that until your LO becomes aware of it and starts watching it too. 

As for music, it's on all the time at our house. I switch between classical, kid's music, my ipod, etc. DD loves it all and often dances, which is way too cute. 

Anyways, your LO is too young for you to be worrying about too much TV at this point. Just survive, m'dear. Get through those first few tough months the best way you can :)  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• image joyfullyfound:

Yeah, when DD was 7 weeks all I did was watch TV. It was on all the time. There's no issue with that until your LO becomes aware of it and starts watching it too. 

As for music, it's on all the time at our house. I switch between classical, kid's music, my ipod, etc. DD loves it all and often dances, which is way too cute. 

Anyways, your LO is too young for you to be worrying about too much TV at this point. Just survive, m'dear. Get through those first few tough months the best way you can :)  

Pretty much this. The TV is rarely on during the day now, but lots of music. I might watch a show on netflix when they're napping but usually I do other stuff then and do all of our TV watching in the evening.

Of course all bets are off if the Phillies are in the play offs or it's the end of the season.  

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014
  • I never worried about the tv until Jack started trying to watch it (maybe 6ish months?).  We have Pandora or NPR on for most of the day.
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• DS is almost 9 months. We watch Ellen every day, but other than that it stays off until Elliots nap time. I catch Sex and the City during that time. =) I play music if LO and I get board, but for the most part we talk and sing and play with his toys. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

[url]www.Onabreath.com[/url]

[url]www.Elliot365.wordpress.com[/url]
  • I have the TV on a good chunk of the day. I can't stand not having the background noise. Sometimes I do music but I prefer to have the news or something on so I know what's going on in the outside world.
  • I should add that Jack never just stops and stares at th tv.  When it is on, even if it's his show at his request, he keeps playing and just kind of looks up at it every so often.  So I really don't worry about it.
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• We have the tv on most of the day. I watch the news in the morning, Sesame Street at 9, sirius on at 10-11:30, Jeopardy at 11:30, then I catch up on DVR stuff during naptime. We typically go out after her nap is over ~3. We turn the evening news on at 5:30, then it is dinner time, then she goes to bed. The only thing she is glued to is when Elmo comes on during SS and Final Jeopardy (she loves the music). Throughout the rest of the day we are playing and everything else is background noise.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image joyfullyfound:

Yeah, when DD was 7 weeks all I did was watch TV. It was on all the time. There's no issue with that until your LO becomes aware of it and starts watching it too. 

This.  I ALWAYS had the TV on, day & night (during those middle of the night feedings).  Now, she is 20 months & I really try to limit it.  We turn music on sometimes if I feel like its too quiet. 

• I never worried about it. She watches TV and always has. She loves movies. She can't wait TV during the week anymore, because there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done she needs to do. :) But we watch a lot of movies as a family and she watches on her iPad.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • The tv is on in the mornings after DS1 gets up but DS2 is still sleeping.  DS1 is an early riser, usually up between 5-5:30 so he watches for about an hour while I relax. Then DS1 and I hang out until DS2 gets up around 8-8:30. 

Other than that I usually have music on when we're home. I'll occasionally watch a Show during nap time but I usually have paperwork to do so its rare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We always have one or the other on. I need to have background noise and cant stand a quiet house.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • At 7 weeks old I'm pretty sure I spent 75% of my day sitting in the recliner with him napping on me while I watched tv.

He didn't really start paying attention to it until he was over a year so we're working on limiting it now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The TV is normally on but set to one of the music only channels. Occasionally there'll be something on that I've been wanting to see and so I'll watch it, but for the most part I don't care for daytime TV. If the TV isn't on, I've got my phone hooked up and am playing music. I need background noise.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• I keep the tv on most the day but it's mostly for background noise. DS will stop and watch parts of shows in his playroom but mostly plays or we will play together, read books, etc.

He will play with certain things for a certain amount of time and then move onto the next. So he will play on my phone for a little, we will read books for a little, color, he will stop an watch a show, then move on to the next. He wouldn't just stare at the TV all day long. If he did, I'd shut it off and put on music or the radio for background music!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

• When DS was an infant, I kept the TV on a lot for the noise and somewhat the entertainment, and he napped near it so he can sleep around some noise.  Once he became aware of it, I stopped watching so much.  Now I watch 2 hours of Today in the morning and maybe an hour of PBS Kids in the afternoon.  Otherwise, we don't usually have it on.  Sometimes we listen to music, but we also have lots of quiet time or "chatting".
    Preemie Resources: http://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/

DD1: BFP July 2010...HG in first tri, MC delivered vaginally at 18 weeks October 2010

DS: BFP December 2011...SCH at 5 weeks, SBR at 7 weeks, Placental Abruption at 13 weeks, Hospitalized at 25 weeks, pPROM at 28 weeks, PTL via CS at 31 weeks 

DD2: BFP January 2013...P17 shots, delivered via VBAC at 39 weeks