Birth Stories

Hope for a natural birth dashed before it began, C-section

Here's the birth story of baby Killian six months after the event.  I feel like i read so many birth stories on here that i must share my own.

Well i was planning a hospital birth and hoping to try to go drug free for as long as possible (done the classes, read the books etc etc).  My OB required me to do up a birth plan (i found the plan this morning and laughed, it prompted me to share my story) so the nurses would be fine with going along with minimal monitoring and allowing me to move around.  I'd had a lovely pregnancy and had been told from 36 weeks on that baby was head down.  I wasn't nervous and was excited and feeling great.  I had an anterior placenta so couldn't feel positions too well.  So i went in at 40 weeks and the doc immediately said 'Oh' when she felt my tummy.  I knew straight away we had a position problem.  She sent me in for a scan and baby's head was under my ribs, he was in a frank breech position.  I was gutted.  I had thought his head was his bottom due to the position of my placenta.

As i was full term and had a small bump and anterior placenta, the OB felt a manual turn of the baby would be too risky and that a scheduled c section was the only option.  I agreed and was booked in for the next day.  To say i was in shock leaving the hospital that day was an understatement.  Once i got to the car to ring my husband, i was bawling.  The evening went in a blur of upset ( i even locked myself in the bathroom at one stage and refused to talk to my DH).  I knew this was the best option for the baby but had really not wanted a section and hadn't much time to get my head around it.

After a sleepless night, i felt excited that we would be getting to meet our little boy soon.  The prep in the hospital was fine and i was ready to rock and roll within a few hours.  Funnily enough, natural contractions began that morning so i did get to experience early labour pains.  We could see them on the monitor.  I took this as a good sign that baby might be ready to appear.  The operation was fine and i was really just concerned to hear our baby was ok.  My DH nearly fainted when the baby was pulled out.  I wanted him to go over and hold him and be with him as i couldn't but DH looked all pale and was sweating.  I was lying out after being cut open, baby was screaming across the room and he is nearly fainting.  Nurses were going over to DH, he was given water and a cold wet towel.  Really?  This is when i started feeling anxious as our little guy was screaming bloody murder, nobody had told me if he was ok and i wanted him but was strapped to the table.  I found this the most difficult part of the birth. 

Finally DH got it together and disappeared off to see our son.  He immediately calmed once his daddy held him.  DH brought him to me, and i kissed and touched his face, he immediately began sucking.  It was magic and he was beautiful and healthy, 7 pounds 15 ounces with brown eyes and brown hair.   Dh did skin to skin in the recovery room while they monitored me until i could get him onto my chest.

So at the end of the day, i never got the birth experience i was hoping for but i did get the baby so it was all worth it.  Recovery was a pain in the ass.  It took a week for my milk to arrive in and the drugs during recovery made me feel ill and i lost my appetite.  Breastfeeding after a c section is no easy task and i am hoping to never have another section if we have more children.  Now our little bundle is not so little and a healthy gorgeous 6 month old.  I still get great mileage out of the state DH was in during the operation, he'll never live that one down! 

You can't plan a birth, just do your best to cope with what nature throws at you.  I still feel cheated a little that i had to have a section but it is what it is.  I'm in great form and the section has healed really well.  Mostly though we have baby Killian and thats all that matters x

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hope for a natural birth dashed before it began, C-section

• I have had 2 c-sections and have come to peace with being grateful for my 2 healthy children who might not have made it here at all without modern medicine :)
  • Congratulations!  I'm sorry the birthing plan wasn't able to be used, but, as you said, you have a beautiful new baby! :)

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yay!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It is crazy how similar our stories are. With the exception of my husband not passing out it is almost word for word. I went in at 40wks for an ultrasound because I could button my pants! My pre pregnancy pants. My LO had moved up and was frank breech. We did try a version but ended up with a csection.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"