October 2013 Moms

Hashimoto's/Hypothyroidism, Anyone?

I know it's a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone else has Hashimoto's or Hypothyroidism? I was FINALLY diagnosed right after having DD 2 years ago, so this will be my first pregnancy on medication. I'm on 1.5 grains of Armour Thyroid and was hoping to find out what to expect when I go in to see my doctor.

Re: Hashimoto's/Hypothyroidism, Anyone?

• I have hypothyroidism. I was just diagnosed in October so I'm pretty new to everything.  My levels right before I got pregnant were great. My midwife says she will check them every 3 months.  I guess if I was feeling really off she'd check before then. 

imageimage

• That sounds good! I think I am due some bloodwork, anyway Stick out tongue

• I've been hypo since I was 20.  I actually started with Graves Disease, which is a hyperthyroid condition but the treatment can send you to the other side.  When i was pregnant with my son my midwife and endo kept a close eye on my levels... and adjusted accordingly- never huge amounts but a little here and there.  I think I was tested once a trimester.  I actually am going in to get my levels tested today.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image

• Yes, I have hypothyroidism.  Diagnosed maybe three years ago now?  On levothyroxine.  Dr. is aware of it, they just have to monitor levels more closely and adjust medication as needed. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    photo fallinginlove_zps8333e154.jpgimage
    Visit The Nest!imageimageimage
  • My friend just had her son and has this. Everything during her pregnancy went smoothly shes having some issues getting her levels right after though.
                                                              August Siggy Challenge: Ecards
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • I have Graves Disease, so am taking antithyroid meds. I was diagnosed October 2011 when bloodwork was done after we'd been TTC for over a year. Doctor gave me go ahead to start trying again last June. I will have to be monitored closely but hopefully all will be smooth, we've been waiting for this baby for a long time!
  • I also have hypothyroidism. This is my first pregnancy that has made it more than a week past my BFP. So I, too, have questions reguarding my thyroid treatment during pregnancy. It is like a week until I need a new refill and I don't know if my OB or PCP is going to be prescribing my levothyroxine during pregnancy. Luckily my first OB apt is friday so I will ask then and have time to get a hold of my PCP if they are in charge of it. I have done some research on google and seen that different points in pregnancy will need different levels, so at this point I'm assuming that it will be my OB, but we shall see..
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Thank you, ladies! I can already tell that my levels are a little wonky (sleep is the first thing that tends be affected), and I have to go pick up my prescription, today, anyway, so I'll just ask to make an appointment while I'm there!

Is this something that you addressed right away, or that they tackled at the 8 week appointment?

• I have essentially the opposite (Graves disease) but I think generally autoimmune endocrine disorders are treated fairly similarly in pregnancy. My RE checked all my thyroid levels when he did my betas, and I have an appointment with my regular endocrinologist today. At this point, my doctors want my levels checked monthly, but I'm in a current state of remission (no meds), which is likely to change with pregnancy, so they want to keep a close eye on it. From what I've learned, first trimester and postpartum can be the trickiest times, with your numbers changing a lot because of the dramatic hormonal changes taking place at those time, whereas during second and third trimesters, a lot of autoimmune disorders go into a remission state. Overall, I think most pregnancies proceed just fine, but you're a bit more likely to end up in the care of a high-risk doctor, which is usually just for some additional monitoring since thyroid issues can affect growth and development. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

TTC #1 since November 2011; Unexplained infertility
    BFP #1: 2/8/13; Missed miscarriage discovered at 8w0d, measuring only 6w1d, no heartbeat; M/C via misoprostol on 3/22/13
    IUI #1: 11/12/13: BFP #2: 11/26/2013; Beta #1: 256; Beta #2: 7239; U/S #1: 12/19/2013: HB of 145! Measuring right on schedule; Due date 8/5/14
  • I have Hashimoto's and I'm also on 1.5 grain of armour thyroid, too!  I was just really upfront with my primary care physician when we were trying and she had me come in 2 weeks after my BFP to get my levels checked.  Surprisingly, they are stable even though I am EXHAUSTED (which is my tell-tale symptom of being "off" as well) but she said it's likely just pregnancy related.  I have my first OB appointment on March 5, so my primary MD just said to give them the recent labs I have and let them know what my levels are.  I think as long as you're in a therapeutic range you should be fine with the pregnancy.  If your levels get to low, there is an increased risk of miscarriage.  Hashimoto's runs in my family and my cousin has 4 boys and said that she usually ends up doubling her dose by the end of the pregnancy and then just monitors everything closely after the delivery.  Just make sure to get your levels checked regularly and you should be ok.

Also, an FYI, you might want to have your vitamin levels checked, especially vitamin D.  My primary doc is amazing with Hashimoto's patients and she has been telling me that there is a lot of vitamin deficiency, we just don't absorb them as well as other people do.  When she checked my vitamin D levels, they should have been between 80-100 and they were at 17!! A vitamin D supplement makes a huge difference with you immune system and energy.  I was on a 10,000 unit prescription for a month and now I take 5,000 units a day.  It's been amazing.
  • image MTDB:
    I have essentially the opposite Graves disease but I think generally autoimmune endocrine disorders are treated fairly similarly in pregnancy.nbsp;

I'm excited to find someone else with Graves! I'm taking PTU and so far feeling good. I'm 6 1/2 weeks but not scheduled to have my levels checked for a couple more weeks.
  • I have Hashimotos Hypo - diagnosed almost a year ago. I have an almost 2 year old and thought all my symtoms were post partum related..only if! Apparently my thyroid started slipping during the pregnancy, my little girl was born very small but otherwise totally perfect. It was a red flag for hypo, but not one caught by my OB/ped.

I found an amazing endo and clued her in when we decided to TTC again - her advice was to run, not walk, in for bloodwork - testing levels and vit D. I was in for bloodwork within 3 days of my +HPT. I'm 5 weeks and already needed a very small adjustment.  I was previously on added Vit D (14,000/wk) because that too was low, but I'm now off it because it's in the prenatal and apparently OBs don't like you to push vit D as agressively. I won't see my OB until 10.5 weeks - which is normal for her practice. I'll have seen my endo 2x by then...

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

• I'm 37 (will be 38) in four weeks and ttc for the first time.  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's mid October 2012, my thyroid was partially removed at the end of November, I got married mid December, my thyroid level jumped to 7.2 in February, I was prescribed Synthroid (50) at the end of February when I saw an endocronologist, and finally mid march I was able to see a RE for the first time.  She ran the rubella test (I don't have) and AMH (.70).  I have wait until next week for the FSH and another test.  My husband had a sperm analysis last week and is good.  I go back for my thyroid blood work 4/11.  Hopefully my thyroid levels will be down and my doctor can start me on clomid.  Does anyone have any insite or advice.  I'm somewhat stressed and I know that's the last thing I need while ttc.

Anniversary

• I am also hashi but taken levothyroxine (synthroid). I take prescription Vit D @ 50,000/week. I haven't been in to my Dr. yet, we are just going to NTNP for now as I just stopped BCP and will probably take some time to regulate my cycle again.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • I have Hashi's and am on .150 levothyroxine and still symptomatic, but in the "normal range."  We have been TTC for 8 months.
    DX: Hashimoto's - August 2012

Me:30 / DH: 31

BFP#1 after 15 cycles on 12/1/2013 EDD 8/7/2014

Anniversary