February 2013 Moms

Let's talk Predelivery enemas!

My friends who have labored tell me I should take the offer of an enema. I can think of worse things, but it certainly isn't on my list of things I'd like to experience either. Thoughts? Experiences?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Let's talk Predelivery enemas!

• I wasn't offered one.  Now for she tmi, which I guess is to be expected in this post.....   Lol.   I needed to go to the bathroom before I left for the hospital, I never got a chance, I figured I would go when I got there.  I never did.  And I didn't during labor.  Based on this. If offered one next time. I would refuse it. 

• I was also not offered one. Apparently according to my husband I did have a bowel movement while pushing. No one said anything they just cleaned up no big deal. If ever offered I would decline an enema.
  • Loading the player...
  • Im not gonna lie i was terrified of umm how shall i say it... You know. BUT i would have never done an enema nor was i offered one. tmi but my worst fears came true and then i couldnt stop laughing during delivery. I was mortified at first but i pushed for three hours and had a 10 lb 8 oz baby so it was probably inevitable. The nurse told me it happens all the time and the dr said the same thing. I cant imagine getting an enema during labor, i would rather take my chances haha.
  • My system totally cleared it self out via diarrhea in early labor...
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • One of my friends who is an L and D nurse says that women who say they didnt poop during pushing are either lying or don't remember. It happens to most everyone and just isn't a big deal. I would much rather let my body do what it's going to do than risk the terrible effects of an enema.
  • Even with an enema you can still have a bowel movement during pushing, which is one of the reasons they stopped doing them. 

• I have been doing enemas my entire pregnancy bec I was always constipated, and even now post labor! You can do it  yourself, thats what I do, I like them but thats me....I even need it to push out poo and I take 2 coalaces a day! I know TMI!
  • imagemendota67:
    My system totally cleared it self out via diarrhea in early labor...

This. If it hadn't, I probably would not have gone for the enema. 

• I didnt know they even offered them anymore. I was never offered one with my first, and likely won't be with this one either. From what I have heard, they don't bother with them anymore because it really doesn't prevent you from pooping while pushing anyway. I pooped while pushing with my first and hardly even knew it. The nurses are so quick about wiping it away and keeping everything clean that its not a huge deal. I'm not even sure my hubby even knew what was happening they were so quick! lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"