Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Formula Questions

I feel silly for asking these but I'm curious to hear your opinions.

1 when mixing a 6oz bottle....you put 6oz water and 3 scoops. It always goes to about 7oz. BUT my dd will not eat it all. So when I make bottles I will pour the extra oz into another bottle so not to waste it. Is this good or bad? There were times I would make a 4oz and a 6oz bottle and combine them to make two 5.5 oz bottles. Am I messing up the mixture?
also I just bought a pitcher so now I make 30oz or more and pour that into each bottle so I guess that's the same thing

2 I know the formula can be made and put in the fridge for 24hrs. Did anyone ever use it after 24hrs? If so how far would did you let it go past that time? Now that I'm using the pitcher I ran into this problem. I had 8oz left over so I poured it down the drain. I didn't want to take that chance but not sure if it would have been ok. I made the pitcher at 9p and I threw out the extra 8oz about 9p the next night

Re: Formula Questions

• You can pour from one bottle to another as long as she hasn't eaten from the bottle first.  But do make sure you're understanding how much she's really eating.  If you put 6 oz of water into the bottle, that's the size of the bottle.  When it rises to 7 ounces with the addition of the powder, that's displacement.  It's like if you poured yourself an 8 ounce glass of water and put a bunch of marbles in it.  It would appear to increase the number of ounces but there's still only the amount of the fluid you put in.  So just realize that if you're making a 6 ounce bottle and she's not eating it, you can't set your mind to "Oh, she ate 6 and had one ounce left over" kwim?

imagePhoto: Baby brothers :)
  • image elmoali:
    You can pour from one bottle to another as long as she hasn't eaten from the bottle first.  But do make sure you're understanding how much she's really eating.  If you put 6 oz of water into the bottle, that's the size of the bottle.  When it rises to 7 ounces with the addition of the powder, that's displacement.  It's like if you poured yourself an 8 ounce glass of water and put a bunch of marbles in it.  It would appear to increase the number of ounces but there's still only the amount of the fluid you put in.  So just realize that if you're making a 6 ounce bottle and she's not eating it, you can't set your mind to "Oh, she ate 6 and had one ounce left over" kwim?

my husband still doesn't get this lol

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • Im still confused. lol
    So when make a 6oz bottle and I remove the extra oz created after mixing.....am I messing up the mixture? I can't seem to wrap my head around this. Ugh!
  • Removing any amount after mixing the powder and water doesn't change the mixture, so you're fine. All you've changed is the total amount of prepared formula in the bottle. PP is right about the ounces though. If you add 6 oz of water and 3 scoops of powder, you still only have 6 oz of prepared formula technically. I definitely can see the confusion on determining how much she ate if she's leaving behind 1 oz but the volume was up to nearly 7 oz due to displacement. She's probably eating just over 5 oz of prepared formula. But, my take-home message is that you are not changing the mixture just by removing some after mixing. You would be changing the mixture if you added water after making the original mixture. Hope this helps. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image smileytr@excite.com:
    Removing any amount after mixing the powder and water doesn't change the mixture, so you're fine. All you've changed is the total amount of prepared formula in the bottle. PP is right about the ounces though. If you add 6 oz of water and 3 scoops of powder, you still only have 6 oz of prepared formula technically. I definitely can see the confusion on determining how much she ate if she's leaving behind 1 oz but the volume was up to nearly 7 oz due to displacement. She's probably eating just over 5 oz of prepared formula. But, my take-home message is that you are not changing the mixture just by removing some after mixing. You would be changing the mixture if you added water after making the original mixture. Hope this helps. :)

Right.  And I agree, it can get confusing when you're talking about total ounces of prepared formula.  If you're pouring mixed formula from a container into a bottle, you'll want to fill slightly over the number of ounces you're looking to achieve.  So if you make a big batch and want to pour her a 6 ounce bottle, you'll want to overpour to 6.5 or a little more.  Does that make sense? 

imagePhoto: Baby brothers :)
  • It makes some sense now thanks!

What about.....
    I know the formula can be made and put in the fridge for 24hrs. Did anyone ever use it after 24hrs? If so how far would did you let it go past that time? Now that I'm using the pitcher I ran into this problem. I had 8oz left over so I poured it down the drain. I didn't want to take that chance but not sure if it would have been ok. I made the pitcher at 9p and I threw out the extra 8oz about 9p the next night
  • I haven't really gone past 24 hours. Right now I prepare a pitcher in the morning with enough for the day and I make bottles on demand at night since wake up times are still unpredictable.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    image image