VBAC

TTC after csection - how long for VBAC?

I don't post on here often, but as my LO is starting to get older and I am beginning to think about baby #2 I hope I might be able to find some support from you ladies :)

I had my first LO 7 and 1/2 months ago, and had an unplanned csection. I had contractions for 3 days straight, less than 5 minutes apart, with very little dilating or progress. LO was sunny side up, and was causing my labor to progress inconsistently. I was determined to have a med free birth, but after 3 days of labor and progressing to 7 cm's. my LO's heart rate started to drop really low and nothing was helping to bring it back up so I ended up having an unplanned csection. I had a lot of complications (an illeus (surgery paralyzed my intestines temporarily), bad reactions to the medicines and spinal, bad reaction to the pain meds that caused me to throw up to much they almost put a GI tube in me to stop it, I was allergic to my internal stitches and ended up with open sores along my incision for several weeks, and I got MRSA from being in the hospital so long. I am very determined to have a VBAC the second time around.

I'm wondering - for those of you who were successful in having a VBAC, how long did you wait to TTC? I'm considering TTC when my LO is a year old, but I'm worried that it won't be long enough and doctor's will want me to have a RCS. My doctor said I should wait 18 months, but I am planning on switching doctors before TTC due to difference of opinions on VBACs, and I'm not sure if her suggestion is the norm. Thanks for any insight you might have :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 May 2013

BFP #1 - June 4th - Natural M/C June 17. 6 weeks.
BFP #2 - July 20 - Natural M/C July 29. 5 weeks.
BFP #3 - September 18. Natural M/C September 30. 6 weeks.
Break for testing.  No explanation for losses. Cleared to TTC again!
BFP#4 - November 25. u/s 12/19 - SCH,  hb. u/s - 12/30 - No hb @ 8 weeks 2 days.  D&C 1/2.
RE consult and testing - unexplained losses.

BFP#5 - March 8. EDD 11/19/2014. ~* Hoping and praying to meet this little one*~
Beta 10DPO: 28 - 12 DPO: 93 - 14DPO: 331 - 17 DPO: 1438  -24dpo - 15,500!!!!
Heartbeat 8weeks 3 days -183

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: TTC after csection - how long for VBAC?

• I got pregnant when M was 11 mo and my CNM doesn't have any issue with me trying for a VBAC.  Usually 18 mo between deliveries is the standard answer, though I've heard of some people doing it with shorter times.  So as long as your LO is 9 mo when you get pregnant I think most OB's/midwives will be happy.
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• My ob said I could ttc right away. I had gotten pregnant when dd was 7 month old, and he was complexly supportive.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • I got unexpectedly pregnant last month and my two will be 17 months apart. At my first doctor's appt, they didn't rule out a VBAC but said there would be ultrasounds later in the pregnancy to check scar thickness and assess the risk of a rupture. That gave me hope, but I know they had told me to wait until DS was 1 before we started trying again.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a CS with my DD and my OB's recommendation was to wait 18 months before trying. I don't think that time frame has anything to do with how you choose to deliver your second child - VBAC or RCS- it's about allowing your uterus to heal from major surgery. The complications from becoming pregnant soon after a CS can be really awful.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • ooo 18 mos?  I thought it was 12 months??  In fact we waited exactly 12 mos to TTC and got preg. when are #1 is 13 months.  I hope this is alright...
    Me - 39 DH - 39 DS - 1 Due Date - 10-20-13
  • It's usually 18 months between deliveries not waiting 18 months to get pregnant.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    TTC#2 - Shocked to get a BFP first postpartum cycle  
    Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo

• image jesselayne8:
    It's usually 18 months between deliveries not waiting 18 months to get pregnant.

Thanks for the clarification! Now to convince the hubby ... :)

TTC #2 May 2013

BFP #1 - June 4th - Natural M/C June 17. 6 weeks.
    BFP #2 - July 20 - Natural M/C July 29. 5 weeks.
    BFP #3 - September 18. Natural M/C September 30. 6 weeks.
    Break for testing.  No explanation for losses. Cleared to TTC again!
    BFP#4 - November 25. u/s 12/19 - SCH,  hb. u/s - 12/30 - No hb @ 8 weeks 2 days.  D&C 1/2.
    RE consult and testing - unexplained losses.

BFP#5 - March 8. EDD 11/19/2014. ~* Hoping and praying to meet this little one*~
    Beta 10DPO: 28 - 12 DPO: 93 - 14DPO: 331 - 17 DPO: 1438  -24dpo - 15,500!!!!
    Heartbeat 8weeks 3 days -183

BabyFruit Ticker
  • i know some like to see 2 years between delivery and getting pregnant... but the midwife i have been talking wih is open to a v-bac and my little ones will be betwee 23-24 months apart.... there are things you can take to help strenghten and tone your uterine muscles too.. I have been drinking 1 cup of red raspberry tea a day starting int he 2nd trimester... look into it before starting any herbals or supliments though