January 2013 Moms

Not Making Enough Milk

Does anyone have any good ways to increase my breast milk supply?  It seems like some days I have enough milk and other days I'm dry.....
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Not Making Enough Milk

• I have that problem too and have noticed its worse when I don't drink enough water. I've also heard eating oatmeal and drinking mothers milk tea help, I've been trying them both but not regularly enough to see if they help. The teas not bad though : someone posted a recipe for lactation cookies the other day too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • http://kellymom.com/bf/gotmilk/supplyworries/lowsupply/

It's long but there's a lot of good info.
    Mobile took out my puncuation but google Kelly mom low supply and you should find it

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Cut out coffee and pop from your diet, it literally zaps milk IMO! Drink tons of water. TONS. Dark beer helps, but it's not something you'd want to count on every night. Maybe try pumping a few mins a day just to help increase supply some. Fenugreek also helps increase supply, but I would try other methods first. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • What are you basing the lack of milk on?  I ask because sometimes women think they don't have enough milk, but they actually do.  It's common to feel less full at different times during the day.

I would probably start by putting LO to breast any time they're willing.  That will increase your supply most effectively.  Another option would be to pump after most feedings to make sure that as much milk as possible is being removed and to stimulate additional production (about 10 minutes on the pump should do).  

As others have said there are herbal supplements you can take, but I would be hesitant to add these in unless you've tried the basic approach first.

As PP said, be sure you're drinking plenty of water and also eating enough calories.  Oatmeal, Mother's Milk tea, and lactation cookies are great for your supply as well.  

GL!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Another suggestion for oatmeal! Whenever I eat it I notice an increase in my supply.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image sbevmc09:

What are you basing the lack of milk on?  I ask because sometimes women think they don't have enough milk, but they actually do.  It's common to feel less full at different times during the day.

I would probably start by putting LO to breast any time they're willing.  That will increase your supply most effectively.  Another option would be to pump after most feedings to make sure that as much milk as possible is being removed and to stimulate additional production (about 10 minutes on the pump should do).  

As others have said there are herbal supplements you can take, but I would be hesitant to add these in unless you've tried the basic approach first.

As PP said, be sure you're drinking plenty of water and also eating enough calories.  Oatmeal, Mother's Milk tea, and lactation cookies are great for your supply as well.  

GL!

sbevmc is wise. I agree with all of this, especially with putting LO to the breast OFTEN.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker