Working Moms

W2 Info on Job App

I was approached by a company for a position. Sounds interesting and might be a good fit. HR sent a job app for me to complete. The app requires W2 info for the last 4 years. It says this info is required. I have never heard of this and I think this is their way to lowball me for salary. I am thinking that I am not going to write in this info and see what they say. If they ask I will say something along the lines that I haven't been asked for this info for any other job and find this highly irregular. I can't imagine anyone giving them this info. WWYD?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: W2 Info on Job App

• I have never heard of that, especially considering it would have your social security number on it. 

IF it were me, I would complete the application without that part, and then call the HR director and say you are simply not comfortable putting down that information at this point and would rather wait until when and if the job is offered. 

I would hope the would understand, and honestly, if they don't....do you really want to be working for them?   I have learned the hard way that when I have applied for jobs that have ridiculous and unreasonable requests just to even get an application in, I have been miserable at the job because the requests don't stop at the application process.  They should be bringing you in for an interview because of your experience, not your W2 info.

Good luck!

Toddler meets Tiger Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's really odd, when I was out of work last year I applied for over 100 jobs I'd guess and no one ever asked that info. I wouldn't put it down.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For my current job, I was required to provide proof of the prior year's salary. I had to give them a pay stub that showed my pay for the year through the current date and notes to show when i was on maternity leave.

I was recruited through a large national staffing agency. They requested it after they made the job offer.

IVF, ICSI, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle... our baby girl is here!

Our sweet Valentine's day FET

• image oooCarrieB:

For my current job, I was required to provide proof of the prior year's salary. I had to give them a pay stub that showed my pay for the year through the current date and notes to show when i was on maternity leave.

I was recruited through a large national staffing agency. They requested it after they made the job offer.

I can understand that, but to request it when a person is just filing out an application seems weird.   You are ask for a lot of personal information when you haven't even decided to bring them in for an interview. 

Toddler meets Tiger Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My husband has a few friends that have run into this lately, and I think more employers are asking because fewer former employers provide this info.  This really burns me up, they obviously have a salary range to negotiate within and can say no if you ask too much, but if they feel I'm worth more than my former employer paid me, they should pay me what they think I deserve and have negotiated....not what I was making at my last job!
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is important for a perspective employer to understand your salary history to know what your expectations may be. This way they don't waste their time talking to you if you are accustomed to making significantly more than what they can pay. On the flip side, a lot of people inflate their resumes. This is a way to determine if you are too junior for the job. It is the same thing As asking for salary history. I don't see this as a big deal. Good luck with your job search!
  • I ended up not filling that info in. We will see what they say. They also asked for my high school gpa and sat score. I do not see how that is relevant since I graduated in 1997. I did not fill that part out either. This is for a director position. They really need to update their app for experienced recruits.

• image daisy662:
    It is important for a perspective employer to understand your salary history to know what your expectations may be. This way they don't waste their time talking to you if you are accustomed to making significantly more than what they can pay. On the flip side, a lot of people inflate their resumes. This is a way to determine if you are too junior for the job. It is the same thing As asking for salary history. I don't see this as a big deal. Good luck with your job search!
    I can understand that, so isn't there a spot that usually says, desired salary? Or previous salary? To want an entire listing of your salaries from multiple employers, plus gpa and sat scores, seems really over the top and unneeded.