May 2013 Moms

Louis Vuitton Neverfull or Totally GM for diaper bag?

Hi Ladies,

I am interested in getting the Neverfull or Totally GM as a diaper bag. Anyone have these options or contemplating them?

Re: Louis Vuitton Neverfull or Totally GM for diaper bag?

• Personally I think Louis Vuitton is wayyy too cheap for a diaper bag.  I'm going for the Prada one.

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/product.jsp?cmCat=search&itemId=prod45630015 

• HA!  I would NEVER spend that much on a bag, but that's just me.  If you have the cash to burn and want to, go ahead.  
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBeachy730:

Personally I think Louis Vuitton is wayyy too cheap for a diaper bag.  I'm going for the Prada one.

Yes 

• imageBeachy730:

Personally I think Louis Vuitton is wayyy too cheap for a diaper bag.  I'm going for the Prada one.

this made me giggle  

I'd rather open a vein than pay this for a diaper bag but that's completely personal preference 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • A friend of mine used the Totally GM for her baby... for one week.  (If you are definitely going with Louis Vouitton, Totally GM would be better than Neverfull - space and storage pocket wise).  Before baby's arrival my friend was certain her LV bag would be perfect.  She quickly decided it wasn't worth the hassle.  She couldn't access the things she needed as easily as she had hoped and spent a lot of time digging through the bag.  She also found the bag unfortunately held smells and was difficult to clean... so the inside is forever a Desitin scented and stained mess.  Her daughter is now two and potty training, so she recently tried to get away with the GM as an "on the go" bag... only to add an assortment of Cheerios crumbs and sippy-cup leaks to the mess.

She opted for a Coach Diaper Bag instead, which has an insulated pocket for the bottles/sippy cups and is made of easy-to-wipe material.  Before this, she used a solid black cheap diaper bag from Target.

Just be sure not to put style before functionality when it comes to baby supplies... luckily, there are plenty of products out there that offer both!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lol at some of these comments!

I realize it is an expensive bag and not for everyone but I just hate the looks of the other bags...and the other ones I semi-like are still expensive, ie kate spade....

I would get a diaper bag organizer and TRY to keep spills to a minimum lol....I will be breastfeeding so I do not need to lug around bottles, etc...

They also sell pouches with the changing table, diapers etc....

• imageBeachy730:

BLAH! childs play, Ill be using a Hermes Birkin bag (different colored ones for different days of the week and the baby's mood)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have the Neverfull GM with an organizer insert in it, but I don't want to use it as a diaper bag anymore because it was pricey and I don't want it to get dirty since it's a classic bag I can use for years to come. I had contemplated it, but I enjoy carrying it as my everyday work bag so much that I don't want to add all of the baby stuff to it as well.
  • The ability to wash/wipe down, not freak about spills, etc is far more worth it to me than for it to look like I want it to. Even as a BF mom, you will carry your diaper bag full of snacks/liquids/ointments that all have the potential of ruining it. You go from a nursing baby to a toddler with a sippy and snacks. And the smell...a mix of desitin and baby powder...lasts longer than the baby years. I'd suggest getting something else and keeping your LV's pretty!
  • imageAlyssaJoy1210:
    The ability to wash/wipe down, not freak about spills, etc is far more worth it to me than for it to look like I want it to. Even as a BF mom, you will carry your diaper bag full of snacks/liquids/ointments that all have the potential of ruining it. You go from a nursing baby to a toddler with a sippy and snacks. And the smell...a mix of desitin and baby powder...lasts longer than the baby years. I'd suggest getting something else and keeping your LV's pretty!

I was just coming back to say this.  Snarkiness aside, there is so much more than just bottles that can ruin a bag.  Most moms carry diaper bags for at least 2 years, and many stop nursing at 1 year.  So you would have different sippy cups, snacks, diaper cream, probably antibacterial stuff, and plenty of other things that can create a mess.  Also, planning on BF doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to, or be able to as long as you want, so you could easily end up carrying bottles.

I couldn't even justify spending the money on a Coach diaper bag because I know it could easily get trashed.  Yes there are plenty of different organizers and things to put in there to help with spills and leaks (changing pads, bottle bags, etc.), but then after a while you're also going to sacrifice convenience if you need to go into a bag within a bag for everything you need.  If you want to spend the money on it, knock yourself out, but if your justification is that you won't have bottles to make a mess then I think you're kidding yourself.

• That is true girls:)

I always wanted to get this bag and when my husband suggested we get it, I got all excited lol. I am already a freak with my other Louis Speedy with the spills, so I could only imagine.....

I am not planning on working with baby as I will be SAHM so would just need to use one bag.....

Maybe I will get a longchamps or something as a diaper bag and just carry the Neverfull when we are going somewhere quick or something?

• I used my Neverfull GM for a few months with DD as a diaper bag. Eventually it just became too heavy and uncomfortable to carry everywhere. The straps dug into my shoulders and left red marks, honestly it was more of a comfort issue than an issue of it getting dirty. 

My mom bought me a Petunia Pickle Bottom which I really despised at first. It just looks so much like a diaper bag to me, which is what I was trying to avoid. I ended up using it a fair amount because it was so much easier and more comfortable. I just had to cave in the end.  

my blog
    Help me spread Urea Cycle Disorder Awareness!! 2011 DD diagnosed with UCD 2012 started process for IVF with PGD 8/9/12 started stims- 8/20/12 ER- 20 retrieved, 19 ICSI'D, 12 biopsied 5 viable unaffected embryos 8/25/12 ET-1 "awesome" embryo-9/4/12 1st beta- BFP with HPT at 7dp5dt- Beta #1 9/4/12- 210!, Beta #2 9/6/12- 465, First scan on 9/19/12 Baby Boy due 5/13/13- diagnosed with a single umbilical artery
  • Theycalledherkate-In your case, I would def. just use it as a designated work bag and you will get to enjoy it that way.

I guess for me since I just need one bag I wanted a multi-use one.....

What insert are you using in your bag? I checked on etsy and there are some options there.

• On a side note, what are the essentials to carry in a diaper bag?
  • I know a lot of women that use LVs as diaper bags. I used one as my college school bag and a diaper bag while nannying my niece for a summer. It took quite the beating and still looked great. LVs are extremely resilient and I have never had an issue with wear/tear. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Neverfulls anyway, they seem impossible to organize and they don't close all the way on top. I plan on using a Tivoli GM with a waterproof organizer and then reevaluate if I would prefer a different one. I would prefer the Palermo with an extended strap to go cross body over the Neverfull or Totally.
    Edited:wording

**BFP 6/2/2015
    Toddler Boy 5/24/2013
  • I can't stand diaper bags. I only used purses and had organizer  that I can switch from purse to purse. I used my neverfull once and a while and it worked out fine. In the organizer I carried diapers, wipes, butt cream, hand sanitizer, extra set of clothes, disposable changind pads, and lots of ziplock bags for soiled clothes.

That left plenty of room in my purse for a nursing cover, snacks (also in ziplock bags, wallet, and a cosmetic case.

• I agree with PP that LV bags are really hard to clean-- the interior will stain with any kind of spill. I opted for a Coach bag that was much more practical.
  • I heard it is a good idea to keep spare clothes in your car as well, so you don't always have to lug around some of those items.

• Thanks ladies for the advice....I think with an organizer I still can do this bag....but of course, I may regret this and end up buying a diaper bag lol! I have a feeling that even with a diaper bag I would be disorganized as I tend to throw everything in my bag.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"