C-sections

Did you feel anything?

Hi all!  I had DD by c-section after 20+ hours in labor and I had already had an epidural.  When I got on the table and they began operating, the doctor told me they were making the initial cut and asked if I could feel it.  Well, I did.  But it didn't actually hurt, I could just feel the knife going from one side to the other.  But I freaked out and thought I would feel more once they cut deeper and pulled DD out.

I'm hoping for the next one, I won't have to have a c-section but just in case, I'm wondering if any of you felt anything.  Is it normal to feel the sensation of someone touching your skin when you're supposed to be numb?  I just don't know if I freaked out over nothing. 

"Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the fuck you were gonna do anyway." - RDJ

Re: Did you feel anything?

• With an epi you'd feel a sensation of tugging and pulling.  I had a spinal (scheduled c/s) and didn't feel ANYTHING!
  • I felt some tugging and pressure but no pain. 
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image aandg:
    I felt some tugging and pressure but no pain. 

this 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a spinal and I could feel pressure and tugging, but no pain.

• I'm fairly certain they over-dosed me LIKE WHOA on the drugs. I was so numb my arms were tingly. I didn't feel ANYTHING. I didn't feel any tugging or pulling. When DH came in we talked for a few moments and then I asked if the surgery had started- he told me they cut before he had come in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • I didn't feel anything, from the cath to the cut. I hardly even felt "all the tugging and pulling" that I was told to expect.

bfp#1 6/28/2010 edd 3/8/2011 dd born 3/16/2011

bfp#2 7/23/2013 edd 4/1/2014 m/mc 9/29/2013 @ 13w5d

bfp#3 12/6/2013 edd 8/14/2014 cp 12/10/2013 @ 4w5d

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

BabyFruit Ticker image

• image aandg:

This. I had a spinal block. It was lovely! 

Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• I had a spinal block. The doctor said "can you feel that?" and to this day I have no idea what he was referring to.  I could feel my body rolling back and forth slightly as they moved me around, but nothing besides that!

• I also had a spinal block and felt a lot of pressure.  It didn't hurt but it was definitely strange.
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• I had a spinal and I felt absolutely nothing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I had a spinal. Lots of tugging, pulling, pressure, and then I suddenly had very intense right shoulder pain. I have no idea where it came from but it was very intense...like I'd suddenly pulled something.
  • I had a spinal and felt absolutely nothing except pressure when they pulled her out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, that explains it.  I didn't have a spinal, just went in with the epidural.  Ok, so next time (if), it won't be so bad.  Thank you everyone!

"Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the fuck you were gonna do anyway." - RDJ
  • image cmytutu:
    With an epi you'd feel a sensation of tugging and pulling.  I had a spinal (scheduled c/s) and didn't feel ANYTHING!

I've had 4 c-sections and all 4 were scheduled with a spinal. I FELT EVERYTHING during my first c-section. It was awful.

My other 3? I felt NOTHING. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • image Darbie914:
    Well, that explains it.  I didn't have a spinal, just went in with the epidural.  Ok, so next time (if), it won't be so bad.  Thank you everyone!
    Well, I had an epidural as I had an unexpected c-section after 18 hrs of labor, and all I felt was pressure when they took her out...other than that...I felt absolutely nothing.
    BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image ~Kat~:
    I had a spinal block. The doctor said "can you feel that?" and to this day I have no idea what he was referring to.  I could feel my body rolling back and forth slightly as they moved me around, but nothing besides that!

Same here. I could feel them rolling me back and forth to adjust my position on the table before they started, but absolutely nothing else. It was very surreal.

Collage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• image 1026pumpkin:

image aandg:

this 

exactly

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image ashleyr409:
    image 1026pumpkin:

image aandg:

this 

exactly

This for my DD and Nothing for my DS since they had to knock me out completely.  Dumb dr. tried to put the needle for the spinal in my LOWER back for 45 minutes before he decided to put me completely under.  With DD the numbed me from about bra strap down.  I remember everything from DD but nothing from DS.  Hubby said he brought in DS for me to see, I talked to him and cried and looked at pictures.....I don't remember any of it.  Hubby wasn't allowed in the room either for DS.   

Stefani Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I felt everything too. It freaked me out a ton, but the anesthesiologist told me the epidural just blocks pain receptors and not touch. I had an epidural already placed from laboring before that too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Spinals work better, so you'll be extra pleased at your next one! I felt some pain with my DD due to the epidural "an epidural window" where she was particularly lodged -- they knocked me out as soon as they had her out and I met her.  I was so nervous about my next one, but it was so pleasant compared! Not to worry at all.
    "The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one." --Jill Churchill

Pre-e w/DD #1 -- now age four! GD and PIH w/DD#2 -- now age two! GD and unexplained third trimester bleeding with baby # 3 -- due Feb 27!
  • I had an epi for mine since it wasn't a planned c/s and I could definitely tell they were cutting and felt my daughter being lifted out but it didn't hurt at all.  In a way I kind of liked feeling her 'birth' since I was bummed I ended up having the section in the first place.  If the same thing happens with the spinal ill be ok with it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • For my first, yes. The epidural wore off on my right side during the procedure. I could feel them cutting just on that side. They gave me a bunch of pain meds at that point, and I don't remember a whole lot after that. I do remember that in recovery they kept having to give me more and more morphine to try to control the pain. Ice packs actually worked better than anything else. 

My c/s with DD2 was planned, so I had a spinal. I was completely numb from the chest down.  

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • My spinal didnt work.  I felt a lot of pain on one side, and everything on the other.  I was screaming in pain and they had to knock me out.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • I could feel tugging and my insides moving around- I was pretty sick at the time and had not slept for about 2 days. It was definitely odd. However I have heard that it is common so I would not worry as long as it did not hurt.

• I went in for my 39 week check up and they said the baby was too big to pass thus I had to have a c-section. (I was 5 ft, 105 lbs pre-pregnancy-tiny frame). I really wanted natural and hadn't even researched c-section as this was not what I was expecting. Anyhow, I went into the delivery room, was given a spinal block and after a few minutes I would not feel my legs. Once they started "operating" I felt a tugging feeling. Nothing hurt, but I could feel things. Quite frankly, it was really weird. No one had ever mentioned this to me before. Anyhow, after, I don't know, maybe 20 minutes, there was a HUGE pressure that DID hurt. It was right before they pulled him out. I swear it felt like an elephant was stepping on my stomach. Totally not exaggerating. I would say this lasted maybe 30 seconds to a minute. 

Anyhow, in a nutshell, I felt something too so I guess it's normal.