February 2013 Moms

Non stop spit up!!

DD is a wonderful baby. Great at nursing, not colicky at all, rarely cries, sleeps for 3 to 4 hour stretches at night, etc. But the one thing that I'm finding really hard to deal with is that after every feeding, without fail, she will spit up massive quantities of milk like 3 times in a row. Most of the time it is immediately after she finishes, but sometimes she will fall asleep after nursing and then puke an hour later upon waking. It's unreal.

We're taking her to the pediatrician tomorrow and I'm worried that she will be put on reflux meds when I'm not sure that's the problem. It could be anything, really... Allergy to something I'm eating, foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, immature esophagus and gut, not stopping eating when she's full, etc. She doesn't seem to be in pain, although she has started groaning a little bit right before she vomits in the past day or two.

Anyone else dealing with a similar issue?
Natural birthing, breastfeeding, sometimes cloth-diapering, SAH mama!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The two loves of my life! ? S.R. born 10-19-10 ? V.I. born at home, 2-1-13
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
My BFP Chart

Re: Non stop spit up!!

• My DS did this until I weaned at 4 months. He gained weight like crazy and was a pretty happy baby so the pediatrician would just shrug at me. It drove me nuts, I had to change both our clothes after feedings. He didn't have the same issue with bottles regardless of formula or breast milk so best I can tell he was eating too much? Sorry- I am no help!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Jackie3124:
    My DS did this until I weaned at 4 months. He gained weight like crazy and was a pretty happy baby so the pediatrician would just shrug at me. It drove me nuts, I had to change both our clothes after feedings. He didn't have the same issue with bottles regardless of formula or breast milk so best I can tell he was eating too much? Sorry I am no help!!!

Yeah she's generally happy and she was back to birth weight only 5 days after the birth, plenty of wet and poopy diapers, etc. But this vomit thing is killing me. I know people say it's a laundry issue, not a health issue, but it really sucks. I feel chained to the couch, especially since wearing DD in a Moby or whatever really isn't an option.
    Natural birthing, breastfeeding, sometimes cloth-diapering, SAH mama!
    The two loves of my life! ? S.R. born 10-19-10 ? V.I. born at home, 2-1-13
    My BFP Chart
  • My baby boy spits up a lot too. It got REALLY bad when my milk first came in. He still spits up a lot (at least once or after every feeding) but the quantity is way less now that he's used to my milk. 

• My little girl did this. And just liket some of the other moms that have responded she gained weight like crazy. Probably what is happening is your baby is over eatting and then when their little stomach can't hold all of it they throw up what ever they over ate. There is alot of positive to this. 1) you are making an amazing amount of breast milk 2) your baby is getting alot fuller so they are not eating as often and therefore sleeping much better 3) they are gaining weight. The biggest down side is the continuous fear that every time you sit them up after feeding they are going to vomit all over you and all your surroundings. Plus my biggest fear what throwing up in her sleep. We kept her in the bouncey seat in the pack n play for about 4 weeks so her head stayed elevated when she slept in case she threw up.