Babies: 6 - 9 Months

sick remedies

MY LO is almost 8 months and has her first cold. She has had a small fever never over 101. Stuffy nose, and a cough mostly when she talks really loud(really just sounds like yelling) or sleeping. We finally had her sleeping good at night after 6 months now she just having such a hard time. She wakes up upset because she wants her pacifier(which before we never would have to replace) and then once we do its like she has trouble breathing. This happens all night every hour. Were all exhausted.

I have not called dr yet because the worst of it is sleeping and the fever went down. I have humidifier in her room, try to clean her nose out when she lets me. Try to get her drink a little more water (she is formula fed).

Wondering if any of you have any other tips ?? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: sick remedies

• DS had a cold a few weeks ago. Here is what we did:

-Steam shower/bath then little noses drops and bulb syringe suctioning out as much as possible.

We put a pillow under his mattress so that he as on an incline when he slept which seemed to help.

We also put vicks on his feet at night. There is a baby vicks formula available. 

As this is a cold most likely caused by a virus there isn't much you can do other than try and make her as comfortable as possible.As long as she is having several wet diapers throughout the day she should be ok from a hydration standpoint (although her appetite my fluctuate while she is sick.

DS did develope an ear infection due to the fuild up of fluid so watch for signs of that (DS didn't have any signals, goop just came out of his ear one day-gross).

GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • image NSYoder26:

DS had a cold a few weeks ago. Here is what we did:

-Steam shower/bath then little noses drops and bulb syringe suctioning out as much as possible.

We put a pillow under his mattress so that he as on an incline when he slept which seemed to help.

We also put vicks on his feet at night. There is a baby vicks formula available. 

As this is a cold most likely caused by a virus there isn't much you can do other than try and make her as comfortable as possible.As long as she is having several wet diapers throughout the day she should be ok from a hydration standpoint (although her appetite my fluctuate while she is sick.

DS did develope an ear infection due to the fuild up of fluid so watch for signs of that (DS didn't have any signals, goop just came out of his ear one day-gross).

GL! 

THANKS! 

I was hoping to try the pillow under crib but she moves all over the place at night. 

I will try the steam showers. She still has wet diapers and eats almost what she normal would. I'll keep an eye on it. for ear infections. If she not better in next day or so I'm going to take her to dr. I would have took her today but fever is down. 

• Yup, all of what PP said. Humidifier, elevated mattress, LOTS of snot sucking, and baby vicks on chest or feet. You can also try a lavendar oil or lotion before bed- it calms them. In my expereince the ear infections can come if the nose gets too stuffy, especially with that gross thick green mucus. Also we try not to medicate DS too much because a fever is the body's way of getting better, but you can do Tylenol or Ibuprofen especially before bed- it helps DS sleep so much better (just call your DR for dosage!)

Hope it's over quickly!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image nlynch11:

Yup, all of what PP said. Humidifier, elevated mattress, LOTS of snot sucking, and baby vicks on chest or feet. You can also try a lavendar oil or lotion before bed- it calms them. In my expereince the ear infections can come if the nose gets too stuffy, especially with that gross thick green mucus. Also we try not to medicate DS too much because a fever is the body's way of getting better, but you can do Tylenol or Ibuprofen especially before bed- it helps DS sleep so much better (just call your DR for dosage!)

Hope it's over quickly!

Thank you. I'm the same Do not like to give meds unless I have too. I will try the baby vicks!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards