December 2012 Moms

BF, low supply...should I bother?

Posting here instead of BF board for balanced feedback...if I'm still only pumping 30ml if I skip a feeding, around 10 if I don't, do I want to continue after going back to work next week? Pumping is so labor intensive and uncomfortable, so for such little result, it's hard to want to keep it up.
I have nothing stored, so LO will get formula only for most of the day soon. I figure some is better than none, re BM. And yes, I've seen LC's, been to LLL, and tried all the food and herb remedies. Very little increase. I'm about 7 wks pp.

image    image

Re: BF, low supply...should I bother?

• Hi there..
    I have a 6 week old daughter and we started BF but it didnt work. I also had a low supply. LO lost more than 10 ofher birth weight before we left the hospital and it took well over 5 days for my milk to come in.

Feedings would consist of nursing for over 20 minutes and she would usually fall asleep then we'd have to feed her formula because she was starving.

I met with a lactation consultant multiple times and nothing worked. I'd skip feedings and only pump about 2 oz.

I decided to stop everything and just formula feed...LO will also do daycare and I wouldnt be able to keep up. It was making me miserable and I wasnt enjoying my baby..its completely a personal decision but I figured I'd share my story.

I am much happier now and LO seems to do much better on the formula too.

Good luck!
    Jessica

Audrey Nora born 12.30.12

• Why would you skip a feeding to pump? Nursing LO will boost your supply better than pumping. Could you do a "nurse in" or have you tried that already? How about power pumping?

Personally, yes I think pumping at work would be worth it regardless.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did it because I wanted to know how much LO was actually getting.

For over 3 weeks I would nurse for over 20 minutes and literally have her fall asleep on me.  She wasnt eating.  But once she would come off she'd still be starving.  The hospital was having us supplement with formula to boost her weight and as soon as we'd finger feed her she would suck it down.  I would pump after every feeding too.     Its very frustrating to know I couldnt provide her with what she needed.  I met with the LC and she did say that for some people it just doesnt work.  I did everything I could and nothing worked.   I am disappointed that we couldnt continue but I know I made the right decision.

Audrey Nora born 12.30.12

• Look, I have tried the BFing thing twice now. I am a huge advocate for it. However, not everyone can BF. things don't always work out. It happens. With DD my milk never really came in. She also refused to latch. We tried what we could in the hospital, then tried formula. With DS he was the opposite. He latched right away, nursed great, and I thought this would work. Well, my milk came in and be would still nurse all the time. It was a 3 week long cluster feed it felt like. He wasn't really wetting diapers, his poop was weird, ect. Turns out he wasn't gaining weight. I had a super low supply. So once again we made the switch. He has caught up weight wise and is well over 10 pounds. It was the right switch. You have to do what is right for you.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersPitaPata Dog tickersPitaPata Dog tickers
  • image Nana_Osaki06:
    Look, I have tried the BFing thing twice now. I am a huge advocate for it. However, not everyone can BF. things don't always work out. It happens. With DD my milk never really came in. She also refused to latch. We tried what we could in the hospital, then tried formula. With DS he was the opposite. He latched right away, nursed great, and I thought this would work. Well, my milk came in and be would still nurse all the time. It was a 3 week long cluster feed it felt like. He wasn't really wetting diapers, his poop was weird, ect. Turns out he wasn't gaining weight. I had a super low supply. So once again we made the switch. He has caught up weight wise and is well over 10 pounds. It was the right switch. You have to do what is right for you.

Please describe what you mean by weird poop... have been wondering how much my LO has been getting with BF and some of what has been said describes my LO's behaviors.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I stopped breast feeding prior to returning to work with my oldest because I was pumping so little that for the amount of time it was taking it didn't seem like the best trade off.  My son is a happy and healthy six-year-old.  I know some people will say any breast milk is better than none but I think you have to weigh that against what it takes to get it and honestly, in the long run, I don't know that I  buy a baby getting say half an ounce of breast milk a day really has that big of an effect on anything.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• image LittleFish1:
    image Nana_Osaki06:
    Look, I have tried the BFing thing twice now. I am a huge advocate for it. However, not everyone can BF. things don't always work out. It happens. With DD my milk never really came in. She also refused to latch. We tried what we could in the hospital, then tried formula. With DS he was the opposite. He latched right away, nursed great, and I thought this would work. Well, my milk came in and be would still nurse all the time. It was a 3 week long cluster feed it felt like. He wasn't really wetting diapers, his poop was weird, ect. Turns out he wasn't gaining weight. I had a super low supply. So once again we made the switch. He has caught up weight wise and is well over 10 pounds. It was the right switch. You have to do what is right for you.
    Please describe what you mean by weird poop... have been wondering how much my LO has been getting with BF and some of what has been said describes my LO's behaviors.

It was green, runny, no seeds, sometimes foamy, sometimes mucousy, and it would be tiny amounts every other diaper.  It was not healthy poop and did not go away with block feeding.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersPitaPata Dog tickersPitaPata Dog tickers
  • If you can still bf even just at night or in the am, you'll still be giving LO some great benefits. So if pumping doesn't really work for you and you are able to produce even a little bm, even if its just a snack or for comfort, id say that's a great accomplishment.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • This is a decision I currently struggle with. I've been back at work for a little over a week. My supply sucks and I hate pumping at work. I'm slowly starting to wean off of BFing for my sanity. I'm sad about the decision but I know it's the right one for me now.

You have to weigh the pros with the cons. Yes, any about of BM is good! But, is this an extra stressor that you don't need? What kind of work situation are you returning to? Only you can decide what works best for you and your LO. Either way, as long as your baby gets fed, you're being a good mom! Good luck! Enjoy your last week of ML!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

• Thanks everyone! Jessica, our situations sound almost the same.

I still wonder why I have low supply...thyroid levels are within normal limits...I'm stressed but not excessively...I think I'm eating and drinking enough...hard to the way things are...

As for why is skip a feeding...not on purpose, if I'd oversleep, and DH would give a bottle and not wake me up.

I do have my own office at work, and could insist on 3 breaks a day, including a visit to LO at day care.

I guess its worth a shot. And, if its ridiculous, at least I tried!

image    image

• pumping isn't totally accurate way to see what baby gets as your baby is more efficient then your pump.

I bf, but gave formula for a little while cuz my milk hadn't come in, and as my mom said "its not going to hurt baby. Millions are ff." Although bm has way more benefits, it doesn't work for all. Milk doesn't come in, low supply, baby won't latch etc. As some pps said you have to weigh pro and con, here it sounds like formula might be the way to go for happy baby and happy mommy
    TTC Since: October 2010 [Diagnosed: Blockied Fallopian Tubes March 2011]

[First Fresh IVF cycle: October 23 2011-- BFN November 4th][Second IVF; FET:February 18 2012--BFN February 28th]

May 3rd: SURPRISE! Positive HPT- Confirmed with Beta of 45,000 on May 4th
    May 8th first u/s confirms it's in the uterus!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image bloomraiser:
    Posting here instead of BF board for balanced feedback...if I'm still only pumping 30ml if I skip a feeding, around 10 if I don't, do I want to continue after going back to work next week? Pumping is so labor intensive and uncomfortable, so for such little result, it's hard to want to keep it up. I have nothing stored, so LO will get formula only for most of the day soon. I figure some is better than none, re BM. And yes, I've seen LC's, been to LLL, and tried all the food and herb remedies.  Very little increase. I'm about 7 wks pp.

This is key. A lot of women end up quitting to BF without trying all of the options available to them. I had a low supply at first, and have worked very hard to up it with power pumping, Mothers milk tea, upping calories, water intake, lactation cookies... everything. Its a long hard road for some of us, and people forget that it can be this way; they expect it to be easy. 

That said, you have to do what is best for your baby. If they aren't gaining weight, BFing isn't what is best.  

EDD 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I also have a very low supply. I've worked very closely with a LC and have gone down every road from herbs, to upping calories, power pumping, and prescription medication. Nothing worked. It was a pretty hard blow when I came to the realization that BF was just not going to happen for me and LO. I was using a loaner, hospital grade double pump for weeks and getting such a small amount that I decided to give that up. I still have my LO latch a couple times a day to get what very little I am producing. I find its a great way to soothe him when he's fussy (he hates paci's), and I feel better knowing hes getting SOME breast milk, as well as having that bonding time together. 

I felt guilty for so long about not being able to EBF, but now I've come to a point where I know this is what works for us. LO is thriving and healthy, I couldn't ask for more. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Thanks for this post!  I have also felt the guilt from not being able to EBF.  I've tried all the teas and herbs...everything.  Even prescription medication to increase BM. I worked with multiple LC's when I had my first child.  Now, I seem to produce more milk with my second but not much. 
  • image jellyfish2010:
    Thanks for this post! nbsp;I have also felt the guilt from not being able to EBF. nbsp;I've tried all the teas and herbs...everything. nbsp;Even prescription medication to increase BM. I worked with multiple LC's when I had my first child. nbsp;Now, I seem to produce more milk with my second but not much.nbsp;

You're welcome.
    So, so glad it's not just me doing it wrong. I hate losing, and wasn't giving up without a fight.

image    image