February 2013 Moms

Baby Weight Checks

How often/how many times has your pediatrician had your LO in for weight checks? My LO got weighed in the hospital, at our first pedi appt, and again at 1 week. At 1 week, they said she was close enough to birth weight to stop waking her up at night to feed and scheduled us for her 1 month appt. We have tons of wet/dirty diapers and whatnot, but I'm being a paranoid FTM and am wondering if she is getting enough to eat without the constant night feeds. Is it strange that they don't want us back again to make sure she is gaining before 1 month? Would they think I was totally crazy if I called and asked for a weight check appt sometime this week?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Baby Weight Checks

• That is the normal schedule. I honestly wouldn't worry if she's peeing & pooping well.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • I would not worry about it as long as you have plenty of wet diapers.  With dd, we had to go every week for the first month, but she was almost low birth weight, and didn't gain quickly.  With DS, we are going back today,at 2 weeks,  but st out 1 week check, he actually lost another ounce.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • They weighed DD the day she left the hospital and at her first appointment at 5 days old. If she had been back to birth weight, I think he would've let us go until our 1 month appointment. She was 2 ounces shy though, so he wants her to come back this Friday for a weight check- she'll be 2 weeks old.

If you're getting plenty of wet/dirty diapers, you should be fine. That's the only thing keeping me sane since DD does not nurse long at each session. 

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• image Mee83shell:
    That is the normal schedule. I honestly wouldn't worry if she's peeing & pooping well.

This.

DS1 lost too much weight in the first 48 hrs after birth, so he had a weight check at 3 days, one week and 2 weeks (our pedi does a regular 2 week well visit).

DS2 is gaining well so he only had weight checks at his newborn appt and will have one at his 2 wk appt.   We got a bonus weigh-in at 10 days bc we had to go in for a blood draw, but that's not the norm.  if your pedi doesn't want to keep checking, that means your LO is doing fine.  Wet and dirty diapers are your best indicator that all is well :)

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."
    imageimageimage
    Good god, Mr. Tomlinson, are you QUITE finished?
    "Does the little one with the cheekbones know that the prince is in love with him?"

Jack 04/29/10 dairy, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

• does your hospital or OB's office have a BFing support group?  Often you can have a weight check at those.  Or, you can weigh her on y our kitchen scale.  Just put your changing pad on top, zero it, then put baby on the changing pad.  It's not 100% accurate, but it would be close enough for peace of mind.
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."
    imageimageimage
    Good god, Mr. Tomlinson, are you QUITE finished?
    "Does the little one with the cheekbones know that the prince is in love with him?"

Jack 04/29/10 dairy, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

• In a class I took, doctors said that like 80-90% of all newborns lose up to 7% of their weight in the first week, so doctors expect to see a drop in weight. If it is more than 7% of their total weight, then they'll push for more feedings.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • with DS we were advised to buy a proper baby weighing scale as he had problems gaining early on and they wanted us to keep a close eye on him at home. So we were to weigh him every 4 days.

If we were seeing no weight gain, or weight loss then we were to call our Paediatrician and let them know. Then they would decide what we should do.

It was either that, or take him back to hospital every time. I?m glad as first time parents we were given the option to monitor him at home. We took him back to the hospital on his scheduled 1mth appointment as he had been gaining well.

With Delilah, she was weighed 2 days after delivery and had lost 10 oz. The at 4 days after she was weighed again and had gained 8oz back, so we were allowed home. We had her first paedi visit at a week old and she was almost back to birth weight, but as she is still little and has some other problems, he wanted to see her again in 2 weeks.

So, although we haven?t been asked to by her paedi, we are weighing her at home every 4 days, just to be sure she is gaining. It gives us the peace of mind, especially as she is breastfeeding and I cannot be sure how much she is taking, although she loves to nurse Big Smile

The scales we bought cost about 120 Euros, which to  us is alot of money. But I?m thankfull we have them. Maybe OP you might consider  buying some to use at home too? There is nothing that says you can?t monitor your own baby?s weight. Or as DC suggested -use kitchen scales if possible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You could check with your local cloth diaper store or local bra/nursing bra store about weekly weigh in clinics. I used to go to the one that my hospital offered (for free) where we would weigh the baby, nurse, and then weigh again to see how much they were eating. It was great to see 1) how much they weighed each week and 2) how much breastmilk they were actually consuming.

• Thanks, all! I knew I was probably being paranoid, but needed to have someone tell me :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Mee83shell:
    That is the normal schedule. I honestly wouldn't worry if she's peeing & pooping well.

Yep, this.  It was a nice change for me this time.  With DS1 we had a ton of weight checks because he was early and so small.  As long as diapers look good, don't worry! 

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards