Photography

How do you like to focus?

I just got my first nice camera a couple months ago. I love how the pictures come out when I use manual focus but as soon as my son moves I have to refocus...and since babies move a lot it can take a lot of time and I end up missing shots cuz he will lean out of focus at the last second or whatever. The autofocus seems clumsy and very often will take just as long as it sits there focusing back and forth trying to decide where to focus on. Advice? 

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with a 18-55mm IS II Lens.

Re: How do you like to focus?

• Autofocus hands down. Sounds like there may be something wrong with your focusing system as it's not working right? Or are you trying to get really close to him when taking pictures, and it's too close for that particular lens to handle? There is generally a minimum distance listed on lenses that tells you how far away from your subject you have to be. Autofocus should be MUCH faster than manual focusing. If you don't get more comfortable, or make sure your autofocus is working, then you will have an even harder time taking pics of your son as he gets older and moves around a lot more!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • Autofocus for sure. You'll see as LO gets older how convenient it is. There's enough to do with the other settings, I'd rather just autofocus it. 

"They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true..
    for in my heart you were right on time." 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I almost always use autofocus, definitely with kids. I also select one focus point so I can choose what to focus on instead of leaving it up to the camera.
    image  image

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015

• I use back-button focusing. I auto-focus with my Function button on the back of my camera (Nikon D7000) and then use the shutter release to capture the photo.

As long as my distance between my child and myself stays the same, I can snap away with sharp focus.

It also depends on the lens you are using, as well. My prime lenses auto-focus so much more quickly than my zoom lens.

• I would say either:

(a) your lens is malfunctioning - shouldn't really take THAT long to focus

OR

(b) you are confusing "shooting in manual" to mean using manual focus.

Just shoot with autofocus and avoid the hassle.

• Are you in Live View mode? I have the same camera and while I'm generally very happy with it, the Live View mode is terrible and it takes forever to get the shot in focus. Use the viewfinder instead.
  • image jess9802:
    Are you in Live View mode? I have the same camera and while I'm generally very happy with it, the Live View mode is terrible and it takes forever to get the shot in focus. Use the viewfinder instead.

This is what I was wondering, too. Live view is nice when I'm doing certain shots but near impossible when shooting my son, he's too quick!  

My blog: 
     TheAccidentalWallflower.com image 
    BFP: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICUimage
  • image lageorgiapaperie:

image jess9802:
    Are you in Live View mode? I have the same camera and while I'm generally very happy with it, the Live View mode is terrible and it takes forever to get the shot in focus. Use the viewfinder instead.

This is what I was wondering, too. Live view is nice when I'm doing certain shots but near impossible when shooting my son, he's too quick!  

Yeah I was >_<

And yeah..it's so much quicker setting the AF to AFQuick and turning off LV. I just did a sesh with my son for his 14 weeks photos yesterday and it was a billion times easier. Thank you guys :)

And thus new siggy ---> image

• So what focus did you use on the picture of your daughter shown? Or did you manipulate in Photoshop or something?  I have a really nice Nikon but I'm not getting the results I'd like and probably need to take a class or something : )
    ~Andrea Ayers~