Attachment Parenting
Options

Please rec your woven!

And please forgive me for not weeding through the back posts for the answer to this question!  AP needs a sticky about carriers like CD does, I think!

My 6mo is almost 20lbs and I think I'm ready to pass on the Moby and move to a woven.  What do you have and why do you love it?

Thanks ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Please rec your woven!

• Options

I have a Neobulle in the Julie color way. 

You may find the Babywearer's website in learning the difference between all of the different wovens. There's different weights, lengths and color ways. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    thank you! Off to the babywearer site!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a few. For a beginner I would recommend something in 100% cotton because it's easier to care for and (IMO) easier to wrap with. My first wrap was a Storch and they're great workhorse wraps.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options
    Not a Girasol. General consensus is that they aren't very supportive with bigger babies. Hemp and linen blends are my favorite. They're relatively easy to care for, soft, supportive, and easy to wrap with. I have a terra linen indio that I adore and I recently preordered an april hemp indio.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I only have Didy's, but I have four.  The 100% cotton (especially the lighter weaves) are fine when baby is little, but by a year and a half, it wasn't quite enough for my >50th percentile toddler.  I particularly like the linen blends (I have two of them, including a linen stendhal, which I *LOVE*), but I understand not everyone does.  I also have a long wool blend which I love and is wonderfully warm in our Pacific Northwest winters.  I like the shorter lengths (for me, a 4 or 5) for quick wraps (I never got to try a smaller size, but I also started wrapping after DD was a year, so I needed more support), and I like having longer wraps for the long hikes or walks around the neighborhood.

Though, at more than 2.5yrs old, my daughter doesn't let me wrap her anymore, and we hardly even use the SSC I have for her! 

IMG_8355
  • Options

My siggy link has info on different brands.  My advice though - buy a medium-thin all cotton wrap that you think is beautiful.  If you haven't wrapped with a  woven, you have no idea what you would/wouldn't like.  I wouldn't go with a linen or hemp blend - they tend to be love/hate and are harder to learn with.

I would also respectfully disagree with the whole notion of "toddler worthy" wraps - what makes a wrap supportive is a good wrap job.  Yes, some wraps will be cushier on your shoulders and others require more careful wrapping.  It's actually easier to get a good wrap job with a thinner wrap because you can feel where the wrap isn't tight.  A thick wrap just hides wrapping mistakes and is harder to tighten properly.  Not that there's anything wrong with a thick wrap or a linen or hemp blend, but it's perfectly possible to wrap a heavy kid in pretty much any wrap - go with what you love the look of ;) 

I personally prefer thiner wraps - even on the occasion I might wrap my 40 pound preschooler - Vatanai, thinner Didys and Ellevill Zaras are my favorites. 

• Options

My first woven was a Storch Stripe-Inka, which I bought brand new. I still have and love her.  However, I didn't realize how challenging it was to wrap with that particular brand new wrap.  But, not knowing meant that I didn't know any better, either!

My recommendation for anyone getting their first woven wrap is to pick one they think is absolutely beautiful, and try to buy it used and broken in.

• Options
    imagencbelle:

My siggy link has info on different brands.  My advice though - buy a medium-thin all cotton wrap that you think is beautiful.  If you haven't wrapped with a  woven, you have no idea what you would/wouldn't like.  I wouldn't go with a linen or hemp blend - they tend to be love/hate and are harder to learn with.

I would also respectfully disagree with the whole notion of "toddler worthy" wraps - what makes a wrap supportive is a good wrap job.  Yes, some wraps will be cushier on your shoulders and others require more careful wrapping.  It's actually easier to get a good wrap job with a thinner wrap because you can feel where the wrap isn't tight.  A thick wrap just hides wrapping mistakes and is harder to tighten properly.  Not that there's anything wrong with a thick wrap or a linen or hemp blend, but it's perfectly possible to wrap a heavy kid in pretty much any wrap - go with what you love the look of ;) 

I personally prefer thiner wraps - even on the occasion I might wrap my 40 pound preschooler - Vatanai, thinner Didys and Ellevill Zaras are my favorites. 

Do you happen to have good links for wrapping while pregnant? I've looked at a couple but they're not very good. 
  • Options
    imagewishtonight:
    imagencbelle:

Do you happen to have good links for wrapping while pregnant? I've looked at a couple but they're not very good. 

No specific links but I personally found it most comfortable to use back carries that tied above my belly (I mostly ruck).  Others find it more comfortable to tie below their belly.  Mostly it just takes trying a few carries and seeing what feels most comfortable! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"