June 2013 Moms

Special soap for baby clothes?

Hoping this hasn't been talked about already and I just missed it.  So, I was at a department store checking out yesterday and the two check out ladies were really sweet and giving me advice on keeping my bras nice so they'll last longer (I was in the bra department, buying bras, they did not just randomly decide I needed to know this).  They knew I am pregnant so they said to wash the bras in some sort of soap I'd never heard of (I want to say it was called Dreft?) that's for baby clothing and I gave them an absolute blank stare.  You mean I can't just wash my baby's clothes with the rest of the laundry in regular laundry soap?  And they said I have to use special laundry soap for baby clothes!

Did I miss a memo?  I'm an FTM and I know I have a lot to learn so...help?  Is this a big no-no?  Does normal laundry soap ruin the flame retardant stuff or something?  I thought I was getting a handle on things until they mentioned this.

Re: Special soap for baby clothes?

• You just need to use a "free and clear" detergent (no perfumes, dyes, etc.). Don't use Dreft ? it's overpriced and unnecessary.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are supposed to use special soap because it supposedly more friendly on a baby's sensitive skin. I used dreft at first but then changed to seventh generation free and clear. Dreft has a lot of chemicals in it still so I don't know why it's so special for babies. I do have some friends that never changed laundry detergent and washed their baby's clothes with theirs.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image jane.says:
    You just need to use a "free and clear" detergent no perfumes, dyes, etc.. Don't use Dreft it's overpriced and unnecessary.

Yes I'm a FTM but I've found the detergent we already use is fine. We use Ecover.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We use Tide on everything.  If there is an issue, then we will switch to a free and clear or whatever.  This is baby #4, and never had an issue.  Unless you wash all of your stuff in the same free and clear or dreft, your baby will be in contact with whatever you or anybody else uses when you/they are holding them.  I've never had a pediatrician flat out recommend using anything special unless there is an issue.  I also cloth diaper my 20 month old and use Tide on her diapers.  It's the only thing that works well with our hard water.  

Of course, if you have a family issue with detergent sensitivities, by all means switch.  But a lot of time, it can be from using too much detergent and not rinsing enough.  Sometimes the amount recommended on bottles can be way too much for your water type, and it's not rinsing out enough. 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Dreft sucks. Don't do it.

We use All Free Clear. Don't plan to change a thing. And no dryer sheets; that's what messes with the flame retardant in baby clothes.

image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Dreft is bad!! Don't use it!!

Just stick with something that is for sensitive skin/no dyes or perfumes etc. We use arm&hammer sensitive skin and it hasn't failed us yet and it isn't every expensive.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• We have used both Dreft and free andclear. Both were fine, but we prefer free and clear. We just use it for all our laundry.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

• Dreft sucks..It doesn't get out stains at all--especially those stubborn spit up stains in the early days! I used it for awhile last time, but this time I'll start with All or Tide Free & Clear, then gradually transition her to our regular (scented) detergent, barring no skin sensitivities.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• I use the Costco Kirkland Free and Clear for everyones stuff. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Dreft is expensive and a pain, IMO. 

I use All free and clear - no separate laundry and safe on Elizabeth's super sensitive skin. Her clothes are so small, it would take a long time for me to justify a load just for her.  

• Thanks for all the advice ladies!  Helps a lot!  We already use Arm & Hammer for sensitive skin so I don't think I'll switch to any special "baby" brand. 

Can you use Shout or some other stain remover on baby clothing?  Also, if if fabric softener sheets in the dryer are a no no, what about detergent (assuming no skin sensitivities) that comes with a fabric softener, or the liquid stuff?  Also a no no?

• I could be wrong, but I think my regular liquid fabric softener says on it not to use on baby/flame retardant clothing. Thank so much for posting this.

I already have a couple of bottles of detergent at home (try to buy when its on sale), I should probably make sure not to buy more unless they are more baby friendly. I tend to normally go for the pretty smelling stuff. 

• Woolite has a new line I think, i just got a few samples a while back but I threw out the packaging and forgot it..
  • Just say no to dreft. We use 7th gen free and clear on all our laundry.
    We said "I Do" on 9/27/2008!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use Tide Free and Clear and we use it on all of our clothes. I recommend using it on all clothes because if your child has a sensitivity then every time anyone holds him/her they will have some sort of reaction (redness/rash usually). I found that when other people held my daughter her face wold break out from where she laid her face on their shoulder or arm. Of course that is not something you can prevent but of course you and SO will be the ones holding you child the most. Also I did all bedding and towels in this detergent as well. I agree that dreft is crazy expensive and it also seems that is gets used alot quicker than when I use Tide free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards