February 2012 Moms

Valentine's Day

Anyone have any fun Valentine's Day plans?  Any neat traditions?

After we got married, MH and I decided not to do presents any more for Valentine's Day. Instead, we cook dinner together--usually something that's fancier than our typical fare.  It's usually a lot of fun!

I'll probably start some fun traditions when B is a little older for her as well, but for now, she'll be asleep long before our dinner (she still falls asleep at 6!).

My little loves: B 3/12 and J 3/14.

Re: Valentine's Day

• I have to be honest and say that I always hated Valentine's Day.  DH would usually get me flowers and we'd go to dinner, but for some reason, I just didn't like the holiday (probably stems from being single a lot on V-day in the past).  I also hate spending more on a meal just because it's a holiday.  

However, my DD is a Valentine's Day baby, so my perspective on Valentine's Day is totally different now!  We plan to go out as a family and celebrate DD's birthday. I imagine it will become more of a family holiday in our house now.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH has class until 9 on Valentine's Day :( And PJ has his 1 year appointment. So no exciting plans here.

I am going to make a tradition that PJ always gets a Valentine's themed book.  This year, he got a baby flip book, "Where is Baby's Valentine". I already gave it to him because he LOVES those flip books! :)

I'm sure DH and I will do something on another day, I'm just not sure what we'll do. We do usually exchange gifts, but idk what to get him...something small. 

image" width="130px">
    image" width="130px">
    image" width="130px">
  • We never do Valentines...I've never been a fan.  My birthday is the 11th, Allison is the 12th and when we were dating our anniversary was the 7th.  There was just too much going on to toss another one in the middle.

Like PP said, I hate paying more for a dinner just because it is February 14th.  Annoying....

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• My birthday is on Feb 13th... We go all out for birthdays, so we don't go out for Valentine's Day.  We buy each other cards, I usually send cookies to my husband's office, and he usually brings flowers. I cook a nice meal - maybe something we've never had before.  I think I'm going to make fresh pasta this year. 

I'll be much more excited about V-Day when L is a little older! I loved making homemade Valentines for my grandparents and picking out cards for classmates, etc when I was little, and I'm pumped to do those things with her! 

11 months old! #andintoeverything
  • We are dorks and always make mac and cheese for Valentine's Day.  We try a new recipe every year and eat by candlelight.  Last year, I went into labor a couple hours after our dinner and thought it was just indigestion :)  

We'll probably keep our tradition going, we'll just eat after we put Nora to bed. 

• DH and I have never really celebrated Valentine's Day.  It all started the first year we were together and DH got his tonsils out on Valentine's Day. 6 years later and we still have never celebrated!  Either DH or myself ends up having to work that night.  In the future, we will probably try to do something fun with our kids. Pinterest makes that way too easy.

• We don't really have any traditions. We really enjoy a nice meal and wine, but won't be going out with Austin. I am looking forward to buying Austin a little something from me as his first Valentine. :)  My dad always got me something growing up and still does.  
    BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our tradition is that I make DH a homemade card every year. I usually use some silly pickup line like "your dad must have been a baker cause you've got some nice buns!" It's my favorite thing trying to top myself each year.
  • One year went went out to our favorite hole in the wall sushi joint and it was packed. We couldn't figure out why until half way through dinner we realized it was valentines day. So yeah, we don't do valentines day...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD's birthday is on the 13th, so that will be what the time and energy goes into :)  Our theme is ladybugs so it kind of fits...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• image Jeanine88:
    We don't really have any traditions. We really enjoy a nice meal and wine, but won't be going out with Austin. I am looking forward to buying Austin a little something from me as his first Valentine. : nbsp;My dad always got me something growing up and still does. nbsp;
    this! I thought my dad was the only one who ever did this. Isn't it so sweet? I'm making sure DH carries on the tradition with DD.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

• I have always gotten DH a Valentines day basket, filled with candy and a few small gifts.

I always get flowers at work from DH

We have always been homebodies, so we usually cook dinner, have some drinks and reflect on our lives together.

Someone said last year they were going to watch Lady and the Tramp with their child....I want to start this tradition with Emily. Also DH says he is going to send her flowers on Valentines day as she gets older too. ( I told him a story about a girl I went to school with who would get flowers from her dad every year and I was super jealous as they sat on her desk for everyone to see)

we dont go all out because my birthday is less than a week away from Valentines.

• image I'mGonnaMarryYou:
    image Jeanine88:
    We don't really have any traditions. We really enjoy a nice meal and wine, but won't be going out with Austin. I am looking forward to buying Austin a little something from me as his first Valentine. : nbsp;My dad always got me something growing up and still does. nbsp;
    this! I thought my dad was the only one who ever did this. Isn't it so sweet? I'm making sure DH carries on the tradition with DD.

It is! No matter what my relationships were like, I always had a Valentine. ;) 

BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Valentine's day.... stupid.... just sayin'!
    Lucky Number 11

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I just remembered a funny story about Valentine's Day.  When DH was in HS and had his first girlfriend, he bought her something for Valentine's and his mom got bent out of shape because he didn't buy her anything. She actually got her feelings hurt over it. 

What was she expecting?  How many high school boys buy a gift for their mom for Valentine's - especially since he never had before.  And she was married so she clearly had a Valentine.

• We have never done Valentine's.  It never seemed like a big deal to me so we never bothered.  I think we were usually coming off present overload since our anniversary, Christmas and DH's birthday are all in a two week period.  Last year we went to dinner for Valentine's since we said it would be our last childless Valentine's.  I went into labor 4am the next morning...

Since Mardi Gras is Feb. 12th and we will have off and I am taking the DD's birthday off which is Feb. 15th we may do dinner somewhere between all of that.  Her party is on the 16th.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards