September 2013 Moms

Baby planners?

FTM here, and my husband and I are in a new city without family and friends with newbies around here. Is it unreasonable to hire a baby planner to help us navigate things like baby proofing? Registries?
Has anyone else done this, or will we figure it out? Financially we are blessed that we could afford it, though don't want to waste money.
Thoughts?
Thanks, and please no mean comments, we just want what is best for our LO and we are clueless.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Baby planners?

• Honestly, do some reading. Yes, it is going to be stressful at times but there are so many awesome books out there. And the STMs on here will have a ton of tips for you! Save your money for baby!
  • I've never even heard of this

But if you have the money, this job exists, and you think it would help, go nuts 

BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • I've never heard of that, to be honest.  Just my opinion, but I say read some books and go to the classes offered at your hospital.  You can also connect with close friends/family via skype or something to talk about registries.  Good luck!
    4 years TTC including countless tests, 2 surgeries, and one failed IUI
    Scheduled IVF for April 2013--SURPRISE, don't need it! DD 9/7/13 

• I think you can figure it all out with just a bit of research. The ladies here are great sources of info as well. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a FTM and this just sounds crazy.  There are plenty of books and resources on the Internet that can help you with that.  Sounds like a terrible waste of money.
    image imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS born 9/14/13 - MSPI cleared at 6 months
    NTNP #2 since 10/2013 because we are crazy like that
  • I second everyone's tips to just do some reading. If you figure things out for yourself, you'll have the necessary knowledge if you ever move or need to make changes. If someone comes in and does everything for you, you'll still be clueless and dependent on them.

Feel free to ask questions on this board. I got tons of helpful tips from my first birth month board when I was trying to figure things out. :)

• image RedHead0917:
    I've never heard of that, to be honest.nbsp; Just my opinion, but I say read some books and go to the classes offered at your hospital.nbsp; You can also connect with close friends/family via skype or something to talk about registries.nbsp; Good luck!

My thoughts exactly

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • Pay me I'll help you lol! Seriously the ladies have offered great advice with reading, asking here, Skype with family, and interenet research. Good Luck!
    image image image

• Baby proofing sure, sounds reasonable. If I could afford it I would have paid for it just because its a pain. Registering, no. Read some books and reviews on Amazon and you will figure it out. Do a few different trips to register. Talk to the people at the store. Enlist mom friends to help. Good luck. It can be overwhelming, but you will get through it all.
    BFP#1-7/28/2010, DS-4/11/2011

BFP#2-7/21/2012, MM/C-8/9/2012

BFP#3-11/1/2012, M/C-11/25/2012

BFP#4-1/16/2013, EDD-9/29/2013
    My 4th BFP chart:
    My Ovulation Chart

• Whatever it takes to make you feel confident. Books aren't going to give you that face to face comfort. I think it would be a great resource considering your isolation.
  • image RedHead0917:
    I've never heard of that, to be honest.  Just my opinion, but I say read some books and go to the classes offered at your hospital.  You can also connect with close friends/family via skype or something to talk about registries.  Good luck!

I did that too.

• I'm not sure there are baby planners the way there are wedding planners, because when you do a registry it's 1yr+ before you'll be baby proofing. 

I think for a registry you can frequent this board and basically copy other people's registries. I also recommend the baby bargains book. And I'm a second time mom so I can offer my advice on what to get and what not to get. But everyone has a different opinion on that stuff.

As for baby proofing I keep wishing I'd hired a consultant to come in some day and just basically do it for us! DS is 2 now and we kind of go with the flow...but professional help probably would have been good for us. That's really not something you have to think about for a long time, though--at least crawling and not in ernest until walking. Which is almost 2 years from now. By then you might feel more in the know in town and you can reassess things. You'll probably get to know local moms if you do any prenatal exercise classes, or birthing classes, or anything like that.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Never even heard of a baby planner. Sounds like someone who had a baby on TB determined they are the queen of babies...similar to how everyone on TK thought they were wedding planners, invitation makers, etc after getting married. lol

I would say not to waste your money. Seems like a very unnecessary expense. Baby proofing is kind common sense or you could find suggestions simply by googling. Wherever you decide to register will help you. If you want something further than that, I suggest buying Baby Bargains...a very helpful book for baby related items.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • There is a tv show that comes A and E about a lady named Rosie pope that does consulting. Do what you feel comfortable with. Many people do just fine without a consultant, but if you have the money and really want to...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Baby planning I have never in heard of such a thing.  As far as baby proofing that won't need to be done for several months after the baby is born.  I know being a FTM can be scary but I looked up what a baby planner does and honestly I would think a baby planner would be a huge waste of money. 

Everything you need to know can be found in a book or with the help of a friend.  A registry can be confusing and personally I didn't register for some things I needed my mother called me asked "do you have this or that" and I ran out and got it.

I find it a waste but if you are blessed to afford to spend money on such things and it will make you feel better and be less stressed do it.  However none of those things are really too hard, even baby proofing.

ETA 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TCC #1: 12/01/2010
    BFP #1: 2/08/2011--EDD 10/21/2011--Beautiful Baby Boy Born 10/13/2011
    TCC #2 01/01/2012
    Cyst found in left ovary 11/10/2012 during ER visit for serve pain
    Ultrasound conducted on 12/03/2012
    GYN follow up 12/11/12 Suggested another 6 months of TTC before referral to RE around 5/01/2013.
    No need for RE!!!! After 12 months I'm pregnant!
    BFP #2: 1/13/2013 EDD: 09/25/2013
  • I wouldn't but I don't have the money to spend either. I doubt it would be different if I did because I think it's pretty easy to figure it out yourself.  There are lots of books out there and online resources for you to use plus you can always ask on here.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Photobucket