Parenting

no skittles for poor people...

what about cigarettes?

Not at all that the government pays for cigarettes but if someone is making barely enough to get by & happen to be on assistance how do you feel about them using the money they do earn to buy cigarettes? Is it total b.s. or hey, everyone has a vise and deserves a little treat?

Re: no skittles for poor people...

• Can they roll their own cigarettes with that vise?
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • image J&A2008:
    Can they roll their own cigarettes with that vise?

yes, rolling their own is an option... But the situation I'm thinking about there was a pack of cig's involved, so I know that's not this person's case.

But yes, they could roll their own.

• Their money, their choice.
    O&D November Siggy Challenge: Thanksgiving Fail

2 Bostons, 1 Preemie, & 65 Roses

• image chapski:

image J&A2008:
    Can they roll their own cigarettes with that vise?

yes, rolling their own is an option... But the situation I'm thinking about there was a pack of cig's involved, so I know that's not this person's case.

But yes, they could roll their own.

It was a joke.  I'm really not sure how useful a vise would be in rolling cigarettes.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I'm not a smoker and neither is anyone in my household, so I have no dog in this fight, but I'm going to say... none of our business. Poverty is stressful and smoking is a known response to stress. It's cheaper than therapy, man. 

Of course, I am "EVERYTHING FOR POOR PEOPLE" so, whatever.  

Jack Anderson 2.28.10 Our amazing little man. image
  • image EllaHella:

Or alcohol, the lottery, potato chips (junk food), ammo...?

no... I'm just thinking cig's more so because of the health/medical (yeah, I guess junk food isn't good for your health but I wasn't thinking about that.)

• It's moot. Agree or disagree, it's theoretically possible to disinclude certain types of junk food or drink from food stamps, just as beer is excluded from food stamps even though it's "a drink", but it's not possible to stop people from paying cash for cigarettes. Or skittles for that matter. So who cares what anyone thinks?

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Charlotte Rocks!

• image NastyAnnie:

I'm not a smoker and neither is anyone in my household, so I have no dog in this fight, but I'm going to say... none of our business. Poverty is stressful and smoking is a known response to stress. It's cheaper than therapy, man

Of course, I am "EVERYTHING FOR POOR PEOPLE" so, whatever.  

lol. good point.

geez, but not much, from what I've heard smokes are like $8-9 a pack now (here.. .I know they are way higher elsewhere)

• Welfare and cigs are paired up quite often here. I guess 12 to 15 bucks a pack is the governments way of getting their money back.
  • I think anyone of any socioeconomic status is a moron if they are buying cigarettes

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image robinsokj:
    I think anyone of any socioeconomic status is a moron if they are buying cigarettes

This is a given. Lawl.  

Jack Anderson 2.28.10 Our amazing little man. image
  • ok. I will set aside my judgey eyes as you raise good points.

A lady came in to get paperwork she needed to take to the office regarding her assistance. Her and her DH smoke a lot, like they've been in here a few times and take turns, or will both go out for smoke breaks durning the 10-15 mins they are in my office... Anyway, she was complaining the lady she has to go see is at the "far away place" and they better pay for her gas. I was just thinking, if you cut back on your cig's, it'd surely pay for your few miles in gas.

But I stand corrected. Their money/their problem(yes, because smoking is a problem) and coming from a former smoker, I do know how hard it is to quite/when life gets tuff all I wanna do is smoke.

• image robinsokj:
    I think anyone of any socioeconomic status is a moron if they are buying cigarettes

Cigarettes can be very helpful to some people.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Wait, it's not like they are using the government's dime to buy cigs. Whatever money comes from assistance is in the form of a link card and I don't think you can use it for smokes. So, what's there to debate?

• image EVA116:

image robinsokj:

Well, if you've got a hankering for lung cancer, I suppose you're correct

• image shanado:
    Wait, it's not like they are using the government's dime to buy cigs. Whatever money comes from assistance is in the form of a link card and I don't think you can use it for smokes. So, what's there to debate?
    Okay, I re read your post, but still, it's really nobody's business what somebody spends their money on.

• Do I think they are making a smart choice? Heck, no. Smoking is terrible for you.

But it's their choice to make. They made the money, they get to spend it.

• image MrsSkull1107:

Do I think they are making a smart choice? Heck, no. Smoking is terrible for you.

Well, some could argue that they don't actually make the money if they are living solely on government funding.

Just playing devil's advocate.

ReEJ0_zps6dd84224-1_zps84bb6de7 photo ReEJ0_zps6dd84224-1_zps84bb6de7.jpg photo f42.jpg photo grumpy-cat-christmas-meme-5.jpg
                                        Tessa: 10/28/10                    Nora 8/30/12                            Reid 8/6/14
  • image robinsokj:
    image EVA116:

image robinsokj:

Well, if you've got a hankering for lung cancer, I suppose you're correct

Eh, there is reason people start, choose to quit, choose not to quit, when they quit, etc. I guess I just hate when people rag on smokers. It's like saying an overweight person is a moron.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image LoisLane23:
    image MrsSkull1107:

Do I think they are making a smart choice? Heck, no. Smoking is terrible for you.

Well, some could argue that they don't actually make the money if they
    are living solely on government
    funding.

But, you can't buy them with the government's money, so still nothing to debate here.

• image Hesterlicious:
    Welfare and cigs are paired up quite often here. I guess 12 to 15 bucks a pack is the governments way of getting their money back.

Yes I never thought of it this way 

Wyatt [12.10.10] Miles [08.31.12] Eliza [Due 10.18.14]

'Sooo... when your toddler picks up a pair of Captain America underpants and tells you he's going to
    'Save America', and you tell him that he lives in Canada and he says 'where?', that's bad right?'

• image shanado:
    image LoisLane23:
    image MrsSkull1107:

Well, some could argue that they don't actually make the money if they are living solely on government funding.

But, you can't buy them with the government's money, so still nothing to debate here.

Yup. That's what I'm saying. 

• It is no ones business to tell them how to spend their money.  While I might not agree with smoking where do you draw the line?  If I happened to be a vegetarian would I start arguing they shouldn't be allowed to buy chicken with their money?
  • image ATMmom324:
    It is no ones business to tell them how to spend their money.  While I might not agree with smoking where do you draw the line?  If I happened to be a vegetarian would I start arguing they shouldn't be allowed to buy chicken with their money?

lolwut

• image ATMmom324:
    It is no ones business to tell them how to spend their money.  While I might not agree with smoking where do you draw the line?  If I happened to be a vegetarian would I start arguing they shouldn't be allowed to buy chicken with their money?

ReEJ0_zps6dd84224-1_zps84bb6de7 photo ReEJ0_zps6dd84224-1_zps84bb6de7.jpg photo f42.jpg photo grumpy-cat-christmas-meme-5.jpg
                                        Tessa: 10/28/10                    Nora 8/30/12                            Reid 8/6/14
  • image LoisLane23:

image ATMmom324:

omg

• This reaffirms my gratefullness for no longer smoking.  I loved my cigarettes, like, loooooved them.  After I quit, I took the money I spent on cigarettes each month and indulged in a massage and pedicure each month. I felt like a very relaxed genius.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Did some stuff get deleted in this thread or am I just losing my mind?

I thought about having a glass of wine at lunch but I didn't so I'm sure I'm not drunk.

Like wasn't there something about dispensaries? 

ETA: Maybe I am drunk. That's on the Rush Limbaugh thread. Whoops. 

Maybe now if I think about wine, it's like I've consumed it???

• image MrsSkull1107:
    Did some stuff get deleted in this thread or am I just losing my mind?I thought about having a glass of wine at lunch but I didn't so I'm sure I'm not drunk.Like wasn't there something about dispensaries?nbsp; ETA: Maybe I am drunk.
    That's on the Rush Limbaugh thread.
    Whoops.nbsp;Maybe now if I
    think about wine, it's like I've
    consumed it???
    if that were the case then I'd be drunk every minute of the day....Thinking it is believing it. That's a saying, right?

• image shanado:
    image MrsSkull1107:
    Did some stuff get deleted in this thread or am I just losing my mind?I thought about having a glass of wine at lunch but I didn't so I'm sure I'm not drunk.Like wasn't there something about dispensaries?nbsp; ETA: Maybe I am drunk. That's on the Rush Limbaugh thread. Whoops.nbsp;Maybe now if I think about wine, it's like I've consumed it???
    if that were the case then I'd be drunk every minute of the day....Thinking it is believing it. That's a saying, right?

Good point. I'd be hammered a lot at 4:45pm, right before I get off work, because I'm thinking of wine REALLY hard then and that has never happened. So I guess I just had some sort of brain fart then. 

Damn it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards