July 2012 Moms

Ear infection

Has anyone had experience with this? We had no clue she even had one as she showed no signs but we took her to the dr for the cough she's had for a month that's still not better after adding allergy medicine an the dr said she had an ear infection? Could this e why she hasn't eaten anything at daycare or why she's randomly grumpy as hell? I feel so bad that I didn't know!!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ear infection

• Yup we had the same thing happen last week, went to the doctor for unresolved
    Cough and found out he has pneumonia and an ear infection. He didnt show any signs either. But yes they can cause eating and sleeping issues due to the pressure pain. Hope she feels better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Yup...  on ear infection #4 here with DS :(   Already been to the ENT and put on preventative Amoxocillin (sp?) once a day, which didn't work, so it looks like tubes are in our future. Poor guy!
  • Yes!  My pedi says it is common for them to get an ear infection when they have a cold. My LO got a double ear infection when she had RSV in Nov.  It was not fun but the amoxicillin cleared it up.  GL and I hope LO feels better soon.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Wow tubes? Pneumonia ? Yikes. I hope this amoxicillin knocks it out! I don't want to go through all that. Our poor babies!
  • Any child under the age of 5 or 6 years old is more likely to get an ear infection if they have some other illness in their upper respiratory system [nose, throat, and maybe also lungs].

Until their faces loose the baby roundness the Eustachian tubes are more horizontal than vertical, meaning that gravity has less of a chance to help out and take effect. Some babies are more prone than others though.

Also yes, ear infections can definitely make a child grumpy and or lethargic or not want to eat etc. But because you can't see an ear infection a lot of parents miss them. You're not the first, and certainly won't be the last.
  • Yes, sadly we've had three. The last round was a double when she had rsv. Her left ear drum actually burst from the pressure her last day in the hospital and the drops to heal it cost a crap ton and hurt like crazy...it's so much fun torturing your kid twice a day!

• K has had 2 and I had no idea when we found out with the first one. I cried at the pedi because I felt so bad that I hadn't known or done anything to help her. The second time I caught it early because I knew what signs to watch for. She was definitely fussy and didn't want to eat, but the major signs were tugging at her ear and a fever. It sucks because those are also signs of teething and I kinda felt like a crazy mom bringing her in the second time, but I was right. The good thing is that the antibiotics worked quickly and she was better within a few days.
    Page Graphics, Tumblr Graphics
  • image Vive:
    Any child under the age of 5 or 6 years old is more likely to get an ear infection if they have some other illness in their upper respiratory system [nose, throat, and maybe also lungs].

Until their faces loose the baby roundness the Eustachian tubes are more horizontal than vertical, meaning that gravity has less of a chance to help out and take effect. Some babies are more prone than others though.

Also yes, ear infections can definitely make a child grumpy and or lethargic or not want to eat etc. But because you can't see an ear infection a lot of parents miss them. You're not the first, and certainly won't be the last.

OMG I had no idea! You are now officially the dr of j12 lol thank you! I feel much better knowing its normal. She has been lethargic today and quite grumpy yesterday. I hope the Amox works!!
  • image lilahbean13:
    image Vive:
    Any child under the age of 5 or 6 years old is more likely to get an ear infection if they have some other illness in their upper respiratory system [nose, throat, and maybe also lungs].

OMG I had no idea! You are now officially the dr of j12 lol thank you! I feel much better knowing its normal. She has been lethargic today and quite grumpy yesterday. I hope the Amox works!!

No not a doctor. Just the audiologist who has to test so many little ones with ear infections. I will offer any Internet help I can on this topic though.

If it makes you feel better I had a mum of an 18month old who came in and described "no ear infections but baby wakes with wax on her pillow once a month". Noone wakes up with wax on their pillow... This baby had ruptured ear drums every month and the parents hadn't picked up on it.