February 2013 Moms

Induction Question for the anti-Induction Crowd :)

I'm due on Monday (2/4).  I've known since the beginning that my OB practice would not let me go more than 42 weeks.  I'm trying to go med-free and very much want to go into labor naturally, but even I don't know if I'd be comfortable going more than 42 weeks.  So I was fine with that. 

At my 39 week appointment yesterday, I had to make an appointment for the induction since they schedule them at least two weeks out.  So what I thought I'd do is schedule it for Friday 2/15.  That day would be easier for my mom and sister to fly up too, since they both work and want to minimize the time they're taking off, plus it would be very close to the two week mark and would give me additional time to go into labor by myself.  The doc said that was fine, but gave me a word of caution.  Essentially, she said that the closer to 2 weeks I get, the more likely that there would be meconium.  She said that if there is meconium, though it's not likely a big deal, the hospital's practice is to take the baby to the NICU first, rather than lay her on my chest.  So if it's important to me to have skin-to-skin right away, it's better to do it earlier.

Just to make clear, she was in no way telling me my baby would be in danger if I waited the full two weeks, and made clear that it was my choice.  Her point was just that longer waits equal greater likelihood of meconium, and meconium automatically means delaying skin-to-skin so that the baby can go to the NICU first to get checked out.  Skin-to-skin is really important to me, but so is going into labor naturally, so I'm a little torn as to what to do. 

As of now I've got the induction scheduled for February 12th but I can change it.  There's obviously lots of time between now and then to go into labor naturally and the likelihood is that this won't even become a problem.  But I was curious as to what you guys would do in this situation. 

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Induction Question for the anti-Induction Crowd :)

  • I would wait on the induction and do exactly what you are doing.  Chances are you will go into labor on your own before 42 weeks. 

    Yes, meconium can pose a danger to the baby, but you could have meconium in your water at 40 weeks too.  You just never know.  Also, I've read that induction can increase the chances of having meconium in your water because the pitcoin can stress the baby out and cause it to poop.  So, moving the induction date up out of fear of the meconium could prove to be counter-productive.

    All I know is that your chances of having a med-free birth are greater without the induction.  And chances are the meconium won't be a problem and you'll get your skin-to-skin contact right away too.

    I wouldn't stress about it right now.  :)

    DS1 - 8/07  DS2 - 1/09  DD1 - 3/11  DD2 - 2/13
  • image +adamwife+:

    I would wait on the induction and do exactly what you are doing.  Chances are you will go into labor on your own before 42 weeks. 

    Yes, meconium can pose a danger to the baby, but you could have meconium in your water at 40 weeks too.  You just never know.  Also, I've read that induction can increase the chances of having meconium in your water because the pitcoin can stress the baby out and cause it to poop.  So, moving the induction date up out of fear of the meconium could prove to be counter-productive.

    All I know is that your chances of having a med-free birth are greater without the induction.  And chances are the meconium won't be a problem and you'll get your skin-to-skin contact right away too.

    I wouldn't stress about it right now.  :)

    All of this.  

    I don't have a lot of background knowledge about post-term babies and meconium risk, but I will say that I know just as many people who had meconium in their AF with 37, 38, 39 week babies as with 41 or 42 week babies.  I think, in that situation, I would try and do my best to trust my body.  It is perfectly likely that you will go into labor on your own well before 42 weeks, and it is perfectly likely that there will be no meconium in the amniotic sac and that your baby will be 100% fine.  And there is no way to predict either of those things, either, so trying to plan around the possibility of something like that happening may be moot.   

    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

    imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

    "We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

  • True.  My sister had meconium in her fluid when she gave birth at 39 weeks, 4 days (after going into labor naturally) so doing it earlier definitely does not equal no meconium.  I think I'm just going to sit with the decision for a while and see how I feel closer to the 12th if I haven't gone yet. 

    Maybe I will give her a stern talking-to like DC2London did with Rhys to encourage her to come on out :)

    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • image DC2London:
    image +adamwife+:

    I would wait on the induction and do exactly what you are doing.  Chances are you will go into labor on your own before 42 weeks. 

    Yes, meconium can pose a danger to the baby, but you could have meconium in your water at 40 weeks too.  You just never know.  Also, I've read that induction can increase the chances of having meconium in your water because the pitcoin can stress the baby out and cause it to poop.  So, moving the induction date up out of fear of the meconium could prove to be counter-productive.

    All I know is that your chances of having a med-free birth are greater without the induction.  And chances are the meconium won't be a problem and you'll get your skin-to-skin contact right away too.

    I wouldn't stress about it right now.  :)

    All of this.  

    I don't have a lot of background knowledge about post-term babies and meconium risk, but I will say that I know just as many people who had meconium in their AF with 37, 38, 39 week babies as with 41 or 42 week babies.  I think, in that situation, I would try and do my best to trust my body.  It is perfectly likely that you will go into labor on your own well before 42 weeks, and it is perfectly likely that there will be no meconium in the amniotic sac and that your baby will be 100% fine.  And there is no way to predict either of those things, either, so trying to plan around the possibility of something like that happening may be moot.   

    First-timer here, but agreed and agreed.

    Wait as long as you feel comfortable with waiting no more or less. It is important for you to be stress-free too!

    FWIW, I was a homebirth and my mom (she was a naive 18 yr old and what she did was dangerous) self-induced with herbs at just under 43w (back then midwives were allowed to let women go that long, now it is supposed to be 42w). There was some meconium in the amniotic fluid but it wasn't much and it only took a moment for the midwives to allow skin-to-skin as they had to check me to make sure no meconium was in my mouth or nose. AND, my little sister, also a homebirth, had to be resuscitated right after she was born. My mom was so distressed that she actually got up and walked out of the room while they tried to get my sister to breath. My sister ended up a healthy baby (though she was susceptible to annoying but not serious ear infections) and she and my mom are probably closer than me and my mom or my mom and my brother so if you don't get your skin-to-skin right away its not the end of the world!

    Likely your OB was just preparing you for the worst.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image bethparr1979:

    Maybe I will give her a stern talking-to like DC2London did with Rhys to encourage her to come on out :)

    It worked.  My contractions started about an hour after I wrote that post, LOL. 

    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

    imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

    "We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

  • The other ladies are very wise. We had meconuim issues with Z when he was 39 weeks old. They did not take him to nicu. They had a special team of nurses come in to make sure he was clear and within 5 minutes they put him on my chest. I think your plan is fine.
    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."
    -- Agatha Christie

    [center]image[center]

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am going to be the black sheep. I would schedule it, then you can decide not to. If they only schedule 2 weeks out then I think it is best to get on the books then cancel if you decide to. Chances are you if you are a FTM you will go after 40 weeks, but before 42 good luck with whatever you decide. I think I would have it on the books just in case since it seems easier to cancel an induction than change your mind and try to squeeze it in. I agree with what PP say otherwise though.
    image
    Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!image
  • image MexiCali:
    The other ladies are very wise. We had meconuim issues with Z when he was 39 weeks old. They did not take him to nicu. They had a special team of nurses come in to make sure he was clear and within 5 minutes they put him on my chest. I think your plan is fine.

    If it were my hospital's policy to send in a special team of nurses to make sure there was no meconium aspiration, that would probably be fine with me, but evidently the policy is that if there's meconium in the fluid, they take her to the NICU to check her out.  I don't necessarily think she has to stay in the NICU very long, just long enough to where they know she's clear, but it's policy nonetheless.  Annoying.

    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • image Sagen:
    I am going to be the black sheep. I would schedule it, then you can decide not to. If they only schedule 2 weeks out then I think it is best to get on the books then cancel if you decide to. Chances are you if you are a FTM you will go after 40 weeks, but before 42 good luck with whatever you decide. I think I would have it on the books just in case since it seems easier to cancel an induction than change your mind and try to squeeze it in. I agree with what PP say otherwise though.

    It's scheduled for the 12th now.  If it gets to the 10th or 11th or something and I still haven't gone into labor I'll see how I feel then. 

    Thanks, ladies!

    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I delivered my daughter at 42 weeks and she had passed meconium. They took her for a few quick minutes to suction her and wipe her off and then she was given right to me. It wasn't what I had planned but I would have rather had that happen than an induction. I would say that past the 42 mark I would have been open to an induction though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards