Stay at Home Moms

Downton Abbey - possible spoilers

I just watched Sunday's episode last night and I still can't stop thinking about it. I had to remind myself it was just a show several times. Sybil was the kindest sister. I'm not sure why it bothered me so much. 

Anyone else watch? 

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014

Re: Downton Abbey - possible spoilers

• Yes! I knew it was going to happen and had even seen clips of the death scene online, but I still cried. And I rarely cry...in life or watching tv/movies.

It was interesting watching with DH, who is an OB/GYN and get his take on things. He said it was hard to say because he wasn't sure how much time elapsed between the first suggestion of taking her to the hospital and when she actually delivered. And he didn't know if they used magnesium or had other antiseizure meds at that time. He said they probably couldn't have saved her. I don't know if that made me feel better or worse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Totally depressing! Especially because she was pretty much the only likable person in that family...
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• image joirish:
    Yes! I knew it was going to happen and had even seen clips of the death scene online, but I still cried. And I rarely cry...in life or watching tv/movies. It was interesting watching with DH, who is an OB/GYN and get his take on things. He said it was hard to say because he wasn't sure how much time elapsed between the first suggestion of taking her to the hospital and when she actually delivered. And he didn't know if they used magnesium or had other antiseizure meds at that time. He said they probably couldn't have saved her. I don't know if that made me feel better or worse.

Yes, the timeline wasn't clear - but it was a few hours I think. I think Dr. Clarkson's point was, that it may or may not work but it's better than doing nothing. I'm not sure about the mag & other meds, either. This was what - the late 20s?

I don't know how Cora is being civil to Robert, I would have a hard time not blaming him. I also am concerned with how Robert will treat Tom and that he's going to pull the "I'm the master of this house I decide what happens to the baby!" But...w/ Matthew technically being a "co-master" maybe there will be a twist there.  

• image LalaMama81:

image joirish:
    Yes! I knew it was going to happen and had even seen clips of the death scene online, but I still cried. And I rarely cry...in life or watching tv/movies.

It was interesting watching with DH, who is an OB/GYN and get his take on things. He said it was hard to say because he wasn't sure how much time elapsed between the first suggestion of taking her to the hospital and when she actually delivered. And he didn't know if they used magnesium or had other antiseizure meds at that time. He said they probably couldn't have saved her. I don't know if that made me feel better or worse.

Yes, the timeline wasn't clear - but it was a few hours I think. I think Dr. Clarkson's point was, that it may or may not work but it's better than doing nothing. I'm not sure about the mag & other meds, either. This was what - the late 20s?

I don't know how Cora is being civil to Robert, I would have a hard time not blaming him. I also am concerned with how Robert will treat Tom and that he's going to pull the "I'm the master of this house I decide what happens to the baby!" But...w/ Matthew technically being a "co-master" maybe there will be a twist there.  

I think it's the early 20s. And based on the preview at the end it looks like Cora is going to keep Robert out of her bed for a while. Losing a child is rough on a marriage to begin with, I can't imagine the stress when there was a medical disagreement that possibly led to the death.

• It was so hard to watch. DH said that once she started seizing, she'd need to be intubated and on life support to have a chance at all.

Before that... Who knows? Dr Clarkson didn't mention any meds, just a csection. I think that it might have been too late to save her even then.

Poor Sybil. It was such a horrible death.

We'd heard there would be a death, and when we watched last night we both knew it was her as soon as she mentioned the swelling and headache.

• Shoot, posted on the wrong board. Sorry!

• Wait.... Lady Sybil only died last night for you guys?? That episode aired months ago here! We're way passed that now... and it only gets worse :(  

Married October 9th, 2010. DD born March 11th, 2012. Baby Joy #2, EDD April 28th '14!!! 
  • image joyfullyfound:
    Wait.... Lady Sybil only died last night for you guys?? That episode aired months ago here! We're way passed that now... and it only gets worse :nbsp;nbsp;

Yes. And I know what you mean. I'm finding it hard to enjoy this season knowing what's coming. I can't imagine what next season will be like. But let's avoid spoilers for those of us in the US who haven't read or seen what happens!

• image joirish:
    Yes! I knew it was going to happen and had even seen clips of the death scene online, but I still cried. And I rarely cry...in life or watching tv/movies. It was interesting watching with DH, who is an OB/GYN and get his take on things. He said it was hard to say because he wasn't sure how much time elapsed between the first suggestion of taking her to the hospital and when she actually delivered. And he didn't know if they used magnesium or had other antiseizure meds at that time. He said they probably couldn't have saved her. I don't know if that made me feel better or worse.

I can relate to this I was watching with my husband who is a surgeon and my friend who is an ob/gyn. She said deaths like this still happen she said 500 every year just in the US. Your statement about the magnesium was also agreed on since it had been used successfully since the turn of the century.  

Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • I ugly cried watching it. It freaked my H out a little too, I had pre-e with my last pregnancy and had an early section because of it, watching what can happen with untreated e really freaked him out.

As soon as she had mentioned the swelling and headaches I started yelling at the TV for a mag drip, lol!

• I wasn't too sad about Sybil dying, but I did cry when Cora said goodbye to her "baby." Man, that was tough to watch.

I know another major character dies *not spoiling who it is* and I am upset by it.

I actually like the Bates prison plot, but I too am ready for it to be over with.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image gracefulruby33:

I wasn't too sad about Sybil dying, but I did cry when Cora said goodbye to her "baby." Man, that was tough to watch.

I know another major character dies *not spoiling who it is* and I am upset by it.

I actually like the Bates prison plot, but I too am ready for it to be over with.

Yes, I know about that but only b/c I knew that character was leaving after this season, so they'd have to kill them off. I am sad that I accidentally read a spoiler about how it happens.  

• I watched the episode this morning. So bummed she's gone.  I liked her. 

FET January 2014 - Loss at 9w5d